The Student Room Group

Is it socially acceptable to be right wing in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Yup. Tuition fees are about 99% of uni student problems lolol.

I agree that they're loathed by the young people but even older people. In the north of England, the vast majority support the
labour party. It's more rural and less economically developed than the south. There are is an uncanny amount of super wealthy
ignoramuses in the South of England.

In all honesty though, I think a lot of the UK's population just didn't vote (most being Labour), which is why they didn't win. Many
have lost hope and don't believe in the system.
Totally acceptable. It's the majority opinion. They now call it the centre ground but most people consider the right wing views 'normal'. Whereas anything vaguely centre ground or left wing is "nuts". Coincidentially, these are also the views of Rupert Murdoch and Paul Dacre.
Reply 22
People are a lot more likely to admit they vote labour, especially amongst young people. But depends on the type of people you hang out with

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm very left wing. My close friends are fairly right-wing (not BNP racist but UKIP racist), and we get on to the topic once every 2 months or so, it'll remain unsolved but I don't want to change anyones political opinion, we all have our own. In college, I think most people are fairly left wing, but left-wing parties want to cut tuition fees etc., so their plans are more important to students.
If you think it's difficult being a Tory voter you should maybe try being an Anarchist.

The amount of people who seem to be completely incapable of comprehending a society in which one is not constantly being told what to do by an amorphous human slime in a nice suit really is astounding.
Greenlaner
We are a more tolerant nation than Sweden on these matters, it is perfectly acceptable to hold right wing views in the UK. So long as you are not a total ideologue or extremist who tries to shove your politics down everybody's throats all the time, nobody really cares what political views you hold.

This tolerance does not neccessarily extend to our universities, but they can go **** themselves, university has become a joke anyway.

I would say Sweden is quite tolerant of right wing people even if we are more left wing.

Why do you say that? :smile:

Original post by mojojojo101
If you think it's difficult being a Tory voter you should maybe try being an Anarchist.

The amount of people who seem to be completely incapable of comprehending a society in which one is not constantly being told what to do by an amorphous human slime in a nice suit really is astounding.

What's even more astounding is your failure to understand the OP. I can't even vote in your general elections.

I am from Sweden

The knee jerk is strong.
Clearly not in general, given almost 50% of the electorate voted either Conservative or UKIP at the election.

Ultimately it depends who you are around. There are settings in which it would be socially unacceptable to express right wing views, and settings in which it would be to express left wing views.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Clearly not in general, given almost 50% of the electorate voted either Conservative or UKIP at the election.

Ultimately it depends who you are around. There are settings in which it would be socially unacceptable to express right wing views, and settings in which it would be to express left wing views.

Well, around younger people?

What kind of settings? In Sweden, at least the people I know seem to be more tolerant whereas (because of economic problems?) my UK friends from both sides are much less tolerant these days. I have heard Tories labelled evil, Corbyn supporters lunatics and out of touch, etc.
Reply 28
I've certainly noticed that right wing views on both economic and social issues are frowned upon in public, people are scared to even dare critisize immigration, benifits or university tuition without being shouted down.
Original post by SwedishRedhead
Well, around younger people?

What kind of settings? In Sweden, at least the people I know seem to be more tolerant whereas (because of economic problems?) my UK friends from both sides are much less tolerant these days. I have heard Tories labelled evil, Corbyn supporters lunatics and out of touch, etc.

Tolerant of what/whom?

When I say settings I mean as much your particular social circles as anything else. 'Younger people' are not a homogenous group, despite the fact that they lean further to the left than the rest of the population.
Students are left-wing because they have just left the safety net of free shelter and money from their parents and now have to borrow from the government to fund their university education.

When they graduate they and begin their journey on the career ladder, earning their keep and paying bills, they start moving right towards the centre and even maybe past it. This is largely because they realise now how crippling taxation and National Insurance contributions are, and how more government is not necessarily the best solution to problems.
In my view it isn't; if you oppose immigration or if you show any kind of patriotic or nationalist comment you're branded a racist. I'm no Conservative, I'd never vote for them. Some of the people I know at school do support the Tories and that seems to be fairly acceptable, but from what I've seen most people my age are very liberal.
Especially among young people? For example if someone at university said they were a Tory would they be looked down on for it?

I am from Sweden which is very liberal, however I am wondering if the UK, being more conservative than us, is more accepting of right wingers. I heard that young people in the UK are mostly left wing though

The UK isn't as backwards as Sweden ..... yet. Your country puts the loon in loony tunes. I guess you know this.

So from what my Swe mates tell me Sweden should be mainly known for ...

1. Number 1 rape capital in Europe.
2. Considering everything and anything racist.
3. Booting Swes out of their homes to make way for immigrants.
4. Your politicians saying Sweden belongs to the immigrants and Sweden has no culture and only immigrants have culture.
5. Not to forget the high level of affirmative action in favor of immigrants vs Swes,

So in to answer your question I would say what is the point of asking us about social acceptance of right wing ideology when you yourself have probably never experienced a life in moderate left wing country? Sweden is far far left to the edge basically

Ya Swedens Goverment policies is the loony tune left wing on a cocktail of 10 different kinds of illegal substances. Its that bad.

[video="youtube;to2GzcGaLsA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2GzcGaLsA[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheBNPkid
In my view it isn't; if you oppose immigration or if you show any kind of patriotic or nationalist comment you're branded a racist. I'm no Conservative, I'd never vote for them. Some of the people I know at school do support the Tories and that seems to be fairly acceptable, but from what I've seen most people my age are very liberal.

Given how anti-immigration the UK overall is, I highly doubt that. The majority of Brits want sharply reduced immigration. It's not therefore at all an unpopular view to have.
Original post by frogs r everywhere

I wouldn't call TSR right wing. It's far from it.

There is a certain, entrenched group of posters who adhere to your typical sixth-form common room libertarianism untempered by the harsh reality of adult life.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Students are left-wing because they have just left the safety net of free shelter and money from their parents and now have to borrow from the government to fund their university education.

When they graduate they and begin their journey on the career ladder, earning their keep and paying bills, they start moving right towards the centre and even maybe past it. This is largely because they realise now how crippling taxation and National Insurance contributions are, and how more government is not necessarily the best solution to problems.

Actually, there is often also a move in the opposite direction (which I myself experienced). I was a sound money, gold bug libertarian from around age 15 to 21. Then my experience of real life, a much stronger sense of empathy for other people, and a better practical understanding of the role the state plays in the lives of vulnerable people, and finally travel to third world countries crystallised my understanding of government as a civilising force... these things led me to adopt Fabian socailism.

We only live once, and with that in mind I'd rather do all in my power to have a society where we help one another and do right by each other, and make each others' lives as good as they can be (and to mitigate pain and suffering as much as possible). I'd much rather have a little bit of inefficiency, a little bit of fraud, against a solid welfare system, than to shut the system down, massively increase suffering on the basis that it's better to do that to avoid the small amount of fraud or benefit cheats, or to save the relatively small amount of money the system costs.

it seems rather... small... to be frenetically obsessed with the tiny minority that might play the welfare system to the detriment of the many poor, vulnerable people who rely on it. They are real people, they have real lives and real problems. It is petty to crucify them on a cross of gold
(edited 8 years ago)
I would say Sweden is quite tolerant of right wing people even if we are more left wing.

Why do you say that? :smile:

Maybe, but from my observations, what Sweden considers right wing can be quite different to what Britain considers right wing. How would a party like UKIP for example be recieved in Sweden?
I am right wing because I want a job. I don't think Corbyns military will offer me much.
Original post by mojojojo101

Isn't an anarchistic society one in which there will inevitably be the outcome that a few would control most resources and could kill or threaten everyone else? Isn't anarchy just the epitome of libertarian, survival-of-the-fittest economics?
Original post by SignFromDog
Actually, there is often also a move in the opposite direction (which I myself experienced). I was a sound money, gold bug libertarian from around age 15 to 21. Then my experience of real life, a much stronger sense of empathy for other people, and a better practical understanding of the role the state plays in the lives of vulnerable people, and finally travel to third world countries crystallised my understanding of government as a civilising force... these things led me to adopt Fabian socailism.

We only live once, and with that in mind I'd rather do all in my power to have a society where we help one another and do right by each other, and make each others' lives as good as they can be (and to mitigate pain and suffering as much as possible). I'd much rather have a little bit of inefficiency, a little bit of fraud, against a solid welfare system, than to shut the system down, massively increase suffering on the basis that it's better to do that to avoid the small amount of fraud or benefit cheats, or to save the relatively small amount of money the system costs.

it seems rather... small... to be frenetically obsessed with the tiny minority that might play the welfare system to the detriment of the many poor, vulnerable people who rely on it. They are real people, they have real lives and real problems. It is petty to crucify them on a cross of gold
So you just moved left towards the center, but not that far towards the likes of the Green Party? Seems very adultish to me.

My whole premise starts out where students believe everything should be free, including tampons, and that they should go on gap year holidays and attend numerous socials, all on debt.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending