The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Use up 3 out 5 choices in UCAS for LSE? (Applicant from US Uni)

Hello guys, I am now a freshman studying in an American college and I'm seriously considering applying to LSE for 2016 entry. The British college application system is in fact very different from the American one; I can use only up to 5 choices in the UCAS system.

However, LSE is probably the only college I'd like to attend in the UK and I am considering a Economics or Economics-related concentration. I would like to use up 3 out of the 5 choices for LSE on
(1) Economics,
(2) Government and Economics,
(3)Social Policy and Economics.

Would doing this hurt my overall chances getting into LSE? I know personal statement is an important part for the Admissions Tutor to evaluate an application, but to me, economics, government, and social policy have a lot in common and I will do my best to integrate the three in my PS.

Honestly speaking, I even come up with a crazy idea to use up all of the 5 choices for LSE. (plus Economics with/and Economic History, Math and Economics)

By the way, how do you think of my chances getting in?

LSE won't consider SAT or ACT and seems to place much more emphasis on university grades. I know LSE takes APs but unfortunately I never did APs.

I am now attending a top 15 Ivy League school in the US and taking four classes this semester, Principles of Economics, Introductory Calculus I, Intermediate Japanese, and a Political Science first-year seminar.

What are my chances, if, say, I study hard and successfully score A on each of them?

With respect to citizenship, I'm a non-UK, non-EU, and non-American international student.

Many thanks!
Original post by kc111
Hello guys, I am now a freshman studying in an American college and I'm seriously considering applying to LSE for 2016 entry. The British college application system is in fact very different from the American one; I can use only up to 5 choices in the UCAS system.

However, LSE is probably the only college I'd like to attend in the UK and I am considering a Economics or Economics-related concentration. I would like to use up 3 out of the 5 choices for LSE on
(1) Economics,
(2) Government and Economics,
(3)Social Policy and Economics.

Would doing this hurt my overall chances getting into LSE? I know personal statement is an important part for the Admissions Tutor to evaluate an application, but to me, economics, government, and social policy have a lot in common and I will do my best to integrate the three in my PS.

Honestly speaking, I even come up with a crazy idea to use up all of the 5 choices for LSE. (plus Economics with/and Economic History, Math and Economics)

By the way, how do you think of my chances getting in?

LSE won't consider SAT or ACT and seems to place much more emphasis on university grades. I know LSE takes APs but unfortunately I never did APs.

I am now attending a top 15 Ivy League school in the US and taking four classes this semester, Principles of Economics, Introductory Calculus I, Intermediate Japanese, and a Political Science first-year seminar.

What are my chances, if, say, I study hard and successfully score A on each of them?

With respect to citizenship, I'm a non-UK, non-EU, and non-American international student.

Many thanks!

Don't do it. I wouldn't even advise applying for 2 at LSE let alone 3 or even 5. Your personal statement needs to be targeted and if by any chance you apply to courses in the same department you are even more likely to be rejected. Find one course you are happy to do and write the best personal statement for it that you can. If need be you can always try and switch later once you are in the university.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Agree with the former post. Its definitely possible switching courses in the first weeks and many of my friends did so. Apply only once to LSE.
If you don't plan to apply to any other university in UK, then it is possible to use all your choices for LSE only.
The proviso is that your Personal Statement must not end up unconvincing to the selectors.
My guess is that you can still make it work by selecting courses that are not too dissimilar so that your PS can still address what the selectors are looking for without being disadvantaged.
Do read carefully what is stated in LSE Admissions pages. Can you come up with a very good PS?

Have you sent in your application?
Reply 4
Original post by GandalfWhite
If you don't plan to apply to any other university in UK, then it is possible to use all your choices for LSE only.
The proviso is that your Personal Statement must not end up unconvincing to the selectors.
My guess is that you can still make it work by selecting courses that are not too dissimilar so that your PS can still address what the selectors are looking for without being disadvantaged.
Do read carefully what is stated in LSE Admissions pages. Can you come up with a very good PS?

Have you sent in your application?

I ended up applying to only LSE's Economics.
Original post by kc111
I ended up applying to only LSE's Economics.

Wishing the best of luck to you then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending