The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Disrespectful flat neighbours

Hi, just wanted to create a thread about this to see what people think or what advice they might have.

I live in the terraces and there seems to be quite a few people who don't see have any respect or desency for anyone but themsevles really.

Nearly every night there is some level of crazy noise, may it be bashing pans outside at 2am to shouting and roaring at 3am last night you name it. There is one flat (below me?) and it's nearly always them who make the noise.

It's not even a low mumble amount of noise, alot of the time it's thumping music or it's people shouting and roaring. This noise is not at 11pm or midnight, rather 2 and 3am.

To be honest i'm tired of it. They don't seem to care that people might be sleeping and have to get up. I actually rang the security last night to get them down and a girl had the neck on her to curse at the security people about them closing down their party; at 2am.

I have to take paracetamol alot of the mornings because of getting a migrane due to getting hardly any sleep. You can say I am a grump but the overall motive for university is to get an education, not party.

I also notice that these people run up and down the walkway shouting after their parties have been turned off. I don't know if that's to get at people or what but it wakes me up because they deliberately wait 1 hour.

Anyway, i'm losing the will to live and my patience is waring thin with this, I don't mind people partying to 1am but 2am plus on a weeknight is so rude. It seems if I don't ring the security they would party on. Thank god I haven't me these people, if I knew them I would tear into them! Selfish prats. I am SO tempted to get up at 7am and put on thumping music because they CLEARLY have no respect for me or anyone else in this area who could be sleeping.

Edit: just been out and they've messed up the rubbish collections and thrown it everywhere.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frostyjoe
Hi, just wanted to create a thread about this to see what people think or what advice they might have.

I live in the terraces and there seems to be quite a few people who don't see have any respect or desency for anyone but themsevles really.

Nearly every night there is some level of crazy noise, may it be bashing pans outside at 2am to shouting and roaring at 3am last night you name it. There is one flat (below me?) and it's nearly always them who make the noise.

It's not even a low mumble amount of noise, alot of the time it's thumping music or it's people shouting and roaring. This noise is not at 11pm or midnight, rather 2 and 3am.

To be honest i'm tired of it. They don't seem to care that people might be sleeping and have to get up. I actually rang the security last night to get them down and a girl had the neck on her to curse at the security people about them closing down their party; at 2am.

I have to take paracetamol alot of the mornings because of getting a migrane due to getting hardly any sleep. You can say I am a grump but the overall motive for university is to get an education, not party.

I also notice that these people run up and down the walkway shouting after their parties have been turned off. I don't know if that's to get at people or what but it wakes me up because they deliberately wait 1 hour.

Anyway, i'm losing the will to live and my patience is waring thin with this, I don't mind people partying to 1am but 2am plus on a weeknight is so rude. It seems if I don't ring the security they would party on. Thank god I haven't me these people, if I knew them I would tear into them! Selfish prats. I am SO tempted to get up at 7am and put on thumping music because they CLEARLY have no respect for me or anyone else in this area who could be sleeping.

Edit: just been out and they've messed up the rubbish collections and thrown it everywhere.

sounds like your best option is to register for a flat swap out of the Ziggurats, its always had a reputation for being party central
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Have an app that makes gunshot noises. Connect your phone to speakers, put it on full blast and break into the flat with the gunshot noises on.
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
sounds like your best option is to register for a flat swap out of the Ziggurats, its always had a reputation for being party central

I've already requested a flat swap and it has been declined.
Is there a way you can swap out of your accommodation? Perhaps talk to the Uni about it and explain how it is affecting your studies.
Break into their flat and steal all their alcohol and their speakers.

Have they explained why? And request again, explaining that it's affecting your health.
Original post by OU Student
Have they explained why? And request again, explaining that it's affecting your health.

This.

Don't forget you are spending loads of cash on your degree, so you have to be able to focus on your studies, and losing sleep is quite bad for this.
I would also assume that the uni have a duty of care as the landlord.
Regardless of the academic duty of care.

If this was a private rental then the landlord can be held liable by the council for bad tenants who disturb others
I thought this might be helpful but the housing link was broken.
There's an email/office which might be worth a try though.

https://portal.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/living-in-residences/services

Ah that's unfortunate. Two more people you should talk to- your Resident Tutor and the Dean of Students. Your resident tutor should be able to have a strong word with noisy flats in their ward and talk to others and tell the Dean of Students how its affecting your health and maybe put in a case for you for a room swap.
Reply 11
Unfortunately I cannot swap because I am living in a certain type of accommodation that is few in number. Like I say I don't mind a bit of noise to 1am but when it gets to 2,3 and 4 in the morning I get angry. It really shouldn't be hard for these people to understand that, I mean they should really be going to bed for their lectures anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by STARRS
I thought this might be helpful but the housing link was broken.
There's an email/office which might be worth a try though.

https://portal.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/living-in-residences/services

Ok I will look at that then.
Maybe try the Dean of student's office? Or any other contact that sounds helpful you can find on the web?
DOS info:
Opening hours
Monday to Friday: 09.00 - 17.00
Telephone: +44 (0) 1603 59 2761
Email: [email protected]

Not sure if will help but worth a try.
Reply 14
I've already spoken to them. They tried and failed to change my room (which I understand), their only suggestion was earplugs.

Honestly, I just wish the people below would quiet down and give the rest of us some respect. I can't imagine I'm the only one who is complaining or who at least has had enough of them and their noise.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've already spoken to them. They tried and failed to change my room (which I understand), their only suggestion was earplugs.

Honestly, I just wish the people below would quiet down and give the rest of us some respect. I can't imagine I'm the only one who is complaining or who at least has had enough of them and their noise.

Maybe the SU advice service? http://www.ueastudent.com/advice
My old uni had proper departments to help you with all aspects of welfare, but UEA seems to have a lot of broken links on their site and not much info.
Hope you get somewhere! If not perhaps they will quieten down as exams approach, and they come to the realisation that they have not studied at all!
Unfortunately I cannot swap because I am living in a certain type of accommodation that is few in number. Like I say I don't mind a bit of noise to 1am but when it gets to 2,3 and 4 in the morning I get angry. It really shouldn't be hard for these people to understand that, I mean they should really be going to bed for their lectures anyway.

Whilst I condemn the noise I wanted to point out that part of the problem is not everyone has early morning lectures or is bothered about going to them- on arts courses at least its not uncommon to have days 'off' so you can get up when you like. I would try the Student Union advice centre as others have said, just go to reception and you can make an appointment.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
It's so annoying i'm tempted to book a nearby hotel to get some peace.
(edited 8 years ago)
Did you try the SU thing on the second link? UEA services seem rubbish. I think it's likely, however, that they will quieten down over time. I hope so, anyway. I feel your pain because I turn into a complete zombie when I don't get sleep.
Reply 19
Just really losing my patience and will to live with this to be honest. Kind of fed up with the DOS and their useless response. I've complained to them three times now and every time they tell me to put on earplugs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending