The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Disrespectful flat neighbours

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Actually there's some Americans here.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by jelly1000
I don't think it's any more than most tbh,, its common at nearly all unis for a fair number of students to want to go out clubbing- but the Ziggurats have a reputation as being the most party hall, I guess because of the large flats & the fact its mostly home students who are more party orientated.

Thanks for the reply
Reply 42
So frustrated :frown: I have my last exam today and they've kept me up all night. I did fall asleep at 3 but they woke me up there now running up and down the corridors shouting.

They keep telling me to ring but I can't keep ringing and reporting them every five minutes. They were partying again to 2:40 when I got fed up and reported them... I am honestly so shocked at how immature these people are. They act like children! They party everynight (at least this week) and make alot of noise. God knows what they take aswell, some of them sound a bit demented when they come back from the bars. Like they've taken something.

Some of the boys chase each other down the corridors aswell. Tbh that keeps me awake more than anything else.

People are sick of me ranting but I need somewhere to vent because i'm fed up of being kept up at night. Thank god i'm going home on Sunday!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Frostyjoe
So frustrated :frown: I have my last exam today and they've kept me up all night. I did fall asleep at 3 but they woke me up there now running up and down the corridors shouting.

They keep telling me to ring but I can't keep ringing and reporting them every five minutes. They were partying again to 2:40 when I got fed up and reported them... I am honestly so shocked at how immature these people are. They act like children! They party everynight (at least this week) and make alot of noise. God knows what they take aswell, some of them sound a bit demented when they come back from the bars. Like they've taken something.

Some of the boys chase each other down the corridors aswell. Tbh that keeps me awake more than anything else.

People are sick of me ranting but I need somewhere to vent because i'm fed up of being kept up at night. Thank god i'm going home on Sunday!

Call the police next time. They've been warned enough.

That might shock them into shutting up for a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AgnesGrey1
Thanks for the reply

To add to my previous post my experience was largely different. I don't know about freshers and the period immediately after because I was going out with my flat. But around November I stopped hanging out with them so I was more aware of their actions. They did go out, but only twice a week. I was fortunate to have the room furthest away from the kitchen, so I couldn't hear anything going on in there during pre drinks. Then they'd go out, so obviously no noise. They did shout a bit when they came back around 2am but for maybe 10 minutes max, then they went to bed. The other nights I'd hardy hear a peep and they never had flat parties round mine or invited lots of others round for predrinks. I never heard a peep from the other flats in my block. This was in Britten which seems to always attract quite a mix of people- some flats are loud, some are quiet. Then twice whilst in Victory at friends flats (two different ones) I saw resident tutors doing their job. First time one of the guys in the flat bought his friends round and they were being loud, someone else in the flat complained, resident tutor came round and made the guys friends leave. Second time it was myself and a group of friends being loud- we hadn't realised quite how loud we were & when the resident tutor came round and told us we decided to call it a night.

So its not always as bad as Frostyjoe has had it, and some resident tutors are very good at their job.
To add to my previous post my experience was largely different. I don't know about freshers and the period immediately after because I was going out with my flat. But around November I stopped hanging out with them so I was more aware of their actions. They did go out, but only twice a week. I was fortunate to have the room furthest away from the kitchen, so I couldn't hear anything going on in there during pre drinks. Then they'd go out, so obviously no noise. They did shout a bit when they came back around 2am but for maybe 10 minutes max, then they went to bed. The other nights I'd hardy hear a peep and they never had flat parties round mine or invited lots of others round for predrinks. I never heard a peep from the other flats in my block. This was in Britten which seems to always attract quite a mix of people- some flats are loud, some are quiet. Then twice whilst in Victory at friends flats (two different ones) I saw resident tutors doing their job. First time one of the guys in the flat bought his friends round and they were being loud, someone else in the flat complained, resident tutor came round and made the guys friends leave. Second time it was myself and a group of friends being loud- we hadn't realised quite how loud we were & when the resident tutor came round and told us we decided to call it a night.

So its not always as bad as Frostyjoe has had it, and some resident tutors are very good at their job.

Thanks! That sounds nice.

One of the things that draws me to the UEA courses is that I could choose to study other modules outside of my declared degree. For example doing Introduction to Modern History as an English student. I was wondering if you did this or knew anyone who did and what was the experience like?
Reply 46
It's not fair for Jelly to discount my posts like i'm making it all up. She didn't live in the area that I live in which is clearly a party block.

It's not like every year is the same, I did say on a previous post that it is always one flat that makes the noise and everyone else is fine. If they weren't making noise I wouldn't have been awake at 5am .
It's not fair for Jelly to discount my posts like i'm making it all up. She didn't live in the area that I live in which is clearly a party block.

It's not like every year is the same, I did say on a previous post that it is always one flat that makes the noise and everyone else is fine. If they weren't making noise I wouldn't have been awake at 5am .

Nowhere did I say you were making it up. I was simply saying that not everyone is as unfortunate as you in having to put up with so much noise. I also stressed I was in Britten which attracts a mix of people.
Thanks! That sounds nice.

One of the things that draws me to the UEA courses is that I could choose to study other modules outside of my declared degree. For example doing Introduction to Modern History as an English student. I was wondering if you did this or knew anyone who did and what was the experience like?

I did Introduction to Modern History as an International Relations student and loved the module, if its still Geoff Hicks running it he's fab- really makes lectures interesting, although he doesn't take all of them sadly. The good thing about it is no exams and you had something like 50 essay titles to choose from for 2 essays, so you got a good choice of topics to write about. I didn't feel out of my depth at all, although I had done History A-Level. It also gives you the opportunity to meet even more people.
I did Introduction to Modern History as an International Relations student and loved the module, if its still Geoff Hicks running it he's fab- really makes lectures interesting, although he doesn't take all of them sadly. The good thing about it is no exams and you had something like 50 essay titles to choose from for 2 essays, so you got a good choice of topics to write about. I didn't feel out of my depth at all, although I had done History A-Level. It also gives you the opportunity to meet even more people.

How long does it usually take for feedback to come back? The student satisfaction score for speed of feedback is low, but I want to know what does this mean practically.

Thanks for the reply, this is really helpful :smile:
How long does it usually take for feedback to come back? The student satisfaction score for speed of feedback is low, but I want to know what does this mean practically.

Thanks for the reply, this is really helpful :smile:

If by feedback you mean coursework feeback, it depends on the lecturer. Many are good at getting work marked quickly and returned to the hub which records marks & then passes the coursework back to students, others aren't so quick - and when they don't hand work back on time it confuses the hub who then take longer passing the coursework back to students. I know this is something the undergraduate students officer is trying to work on improving.
If by feedback you mean coursework feeback, it depends on the lecturer. Many are good at getting work marked quickly and returned to the hub which records marks & then passes the coursework back to students, others aren't so quick - and when they don't hand work back on time it confuses the hub who then take longer passing the coursework back to students. I know this is something the undergraduate students officer is trying to work on improving.

oh I see. What's the longest time it would take? several months? several weeks?

Are you the only one being disturbed by these people? You,ve complained and no meaningful action is being taken.

Why don't you organise some of your mates and bust in there and phuck them up badly. Action speaks louder than words. You are suffering in silence and all you get from people who are supposed to deal with those idiots is "get some ear plugs"

If I were you, I,ll give them time and make sure I,ve exhausted every avenue to deal with it. I,ll get some of my friends...bust in there and start smashing their equipment and speakers, I,ll take the cords and start flogging whoever stands too close to me.
Reply 53
oh I see. What's the longest time it would take? several months? several weeks?

One of mines took three weeks.
One of mines took three weeks.

oh, that's not too bad, is it? How did you think about your academic experience overall?
Reply 55
It was alright. Teachers helped if I asked.

Quick Reply