The Student Room Group

Struggling a lot at uni

I've been feeling so depressed at university lately that I just don't even want to exist anymore. The thought of dropping out also runs through my mind a lot but I know that would be stupid

I'm struggling so hard to make friends...I'm close with one of my flat mates but I've realised that when we go out and I try and speak to new people, she gets angry and drags me away because she doesn't want to talk to new people. I feel really alone and rejected. I've reached out to people to ask whether I could come with them to society meetings and got no responses even days later. I can honestly say even though I'm shy I have put myself out there a lot now but because everyone's formed their cliques i just seem to be out of place

I'm struggling with the workload too and I just feel really down but mostly I just feel alone. My best friend who goes to a uni nearby and lives only 10 minutes away, doesn't want to go out with me anymore because he'd rather go out with his new friends. He's formed a big group of friends, he's well liked and he's already really successful on his course.

i'm honestly feeling so depressed i've reached out to the counselling service and still not heard back 3 weeks later...please can someone help me..i'm desperate
get help on your studies; email your lecturer(s) or advisor and ask to have a chat with them about specific study concerns. If you feel you can't make the most out of uni, getting out of it with a degree is the least you can do.
Join societies?
Reply 3
Original post by ilovebaymax
I've been feeling so depressed at university lately that I just don't even want to exist anymore. The thought of dropping out also runs through my mind a lot but I know that would be stupid

I'm struggling so hard to make friends...I'm close with one of my flat mates but I've realised that when we go out and I try and speak to new people, she gets angry and drags me away because she doesn't want to talk to new people. I feel really alone and rejected. I've reached out to people to ask whether I could come with them to society meetings and got no responses even days later. I can honestly say even though I'm shy I have put myself out there a lot now but because everyone's formed their cliques i just seem to be out of place

I'm struggling with the workload too and I just feel really down but mostly I just feel alone. My best friend who goes to a uni nearby and lives only 10 minutes away, doesn't want to go out with me anymore because he'd rather go out with his new friends. He's formed a big group of friends, he's well liked and he's already really successful on his course.

i'm honestly feeling so depressed i've reached out to the counselling service and still not heard back 3 weeks later...please can someone help me..i'm desperate

I'm in the exact same position! feels goo to know there are other people out there feeling the same! Where/what do you study?
Reply 4
Joint societies mate. Or create a society of your own! something that interests you. organise a party with your housemate's and get the invites out. Get down the gym or joint a sports team. Your not the only one to feel like this..
Hi there

I am the mum of a Uni student and just felt the need to reply.Things will get better; you will not be the only person feeling this way and you WILL meet people.You say people haven't invited you to societies...well just turn up on your own, it is not too late !There will be lots of people there alone not everyone will be in a clique, just keep turning up to events, even if at first it seems strange and you are on your own.Dont try to force conversation too much, but be a good listener...most people like to talk about themselves, so show an interest and let them talk!If people have problems..just listen, dont advise!Be the one that is there for people.
Have a few 'stock' questions..'where are you from?' 'What course are you doing'...but dont stress too much about chatting.The world is full of talkers..but they also need an equal number of listeners..,.make sure you are a good one; maintain eye contact, have an 'open ' posture , breathe.........and relax!!

Do you have the opportunity to do any volunteering?You can meet people and have something to put on a CV .Join a gym...get fit and meet people (even if it is just chatting for the hour you are there),

Don't rely on your best friend ..he will be making a life for himself and he wont be intentionally ignoring you ....look forward to seeing him at xmas.

Make a study timetable...and stick to it, read study skills books that will help you , revise as you go along, tick things off as you achieve them, visit the library and read around your subject ..you WILL meet people there too !Are there any small tutorial groups you can join?

It might be a good idea to speak to student services and your GP..they will have lots to offer you as they will have seen it all before.

Good luck ..I KNOW things will get better

Bella xx
(edited 8 years ago)
I have just re read your post and noticed you said that you dont want to exist any more.I am sure this is not really the case but if it is please contact the Samaritans as they will listen without judging

http://www.samaritans.org/
Hi I am feeling the same as you :frown: I think I may withdraw and reapply for next year because I just don't think this uni and course is for me. It's scary and confusing not knowing what to do next :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending