The Student Room Group

Stay or Go: Should I withdraw in my final year and apply to a Top University?

Imagine you are in the situation where you’ve failed your second year at University two times and in your third attempt you only scrapped a Third.

Let’s say that there were mitigating circumstances involved and that you had a good set of A-levels prior to University (AAA).

Even despite your situation you are confident that you can still achieve a very good grade in your final year and graduate with a 2.1 or even a low First.

Nevertheless, you are considering withdrawing because of the following concerns:

1. You received a third in your first year and only scrapped a third in your third attempt in second year. The course wasn’t particularly hard e.g. Accounting and Economics minor.

2. Despite your set of A-levels you went to a lower ranked University (30-40) and want to apply to a top University (LSE, Imperial, Warwick for a Finance related degree). You know you can get a high 2.1 or even a scrap a First, but you are worried how you will be viewed. What would you do?

Would you complete the degree and graduate with a First Class degree which took you five years or would you withdraw and apply for a Bachelor at a Top 10 University?

I am in this situation…I know I can graduate with at least 80% in my final year but I am concerned that I will be negatively viewed by employers (I want a career in investment management) and I am worried that despite meeting or even potentially surpassing the requirements (seen people get accepted with 65%) and having a good GMAT (740) LSE will not accept me because of my past.

Should I withdraw (money is not an issue) and apply to Top 10 Universities OR should I graduate with a high 2.1(67%)/ 1st (69.5%)?
Sorry for the long post. Any help is appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You say money isn't an issue but can you really afford to pay for a new degree? You won't get any loans. I don't think doing a new degree is worth it, even if you have the cash. You will have to declare your first and second year module grades on the UCAS application so your chances of getting into a top university are very low anyway. But if you got in, how can you be sure there wouldn't be a repeat of the problems you've faced at your current university?
Reply 2
Aside from not having enough SF entitlement left as Snufkin says, I don't think you have a chance at getting into a "Top 10" university. You're an established uni student, so you'll be judged on your uni performance and not your A Levels. Even if you get your self-predicted high First on your final year (which seems very unlikely), the fact is that your first year performance was poor and your second year was even worse, to the point where you barely survived. With a scraped pass in your second year, you'd have to do something like average 90% in your third year to get a First as an overall degree result. Are you seriously going to be capable of that?

Plus a new uni will want to see an academic reference from your current uni rather than your school. Could you find a member of staff willing to recommend you to a Top 10 uni? That also seems unlikely.

My advice is to stop trying to distract yourself with diversions, get your head down where you are and try to get to the end of your current course with as good a result as possible.
Reply 3
As others have said, your uni record will count against you if you want to get into a top uni. Also, won't you still struggle at a top uni? You might as well finish what you've started.
If you struggled at your subject in a uni ranked 30th-40th, what makes you think you'll do better in a top ranked uni like Warwick or LSE? That doesn't make any sense
Oh come on, be realistic.
Original post by Snufkin
You say money isn't an issue but can you really afford to pay for a new degree? You won't get any loans. I don't think doing a new degree is worth it, even if you have the cash. You will have to declare your first and second year module grades on the UCAS application so your chances of getting into a top university are very low anyway. But if you got in, how can you be sure there wouldn't be a repeat of the problems you've faced at your current university?

I am not referring to Student Finance..I have my own savings.
I see where you are coming from...withdrawing is not an option then.
Staying and getting a good mark is the only option left.
Original post by Klix88
Aside from not having enough SF entitlement left as Snufkin says, I don't think you have a chance at getting into a "Top 10" university. You're an established uni student, so you'll be judged on your uni performance and not your A Levels. Even if you get your self-predicted high First on your final year (which seems very unlikely), the fact is that your first year performance was poor and your second year was even worse, to the point where you barely survived. With a scraped pass in your second year, you'd have to do something like average 90% in your third year to get a First as an overall degree result. Are you seriously going to be capable of that?

Plus a new uni will want to see an academic reference from your current uni rather than your school. Could you find a member of staff willing to recommend you to a Top 10 uni? That also seems unlikely.

My advice is to stop trying to distract yourself with diversions, get your head down where you are and try to get to the end of your current course with as good a result as possible.

Thanks for the help...I understand, I don't think I will be doing it.
Though there is an option of doing distance learning with UoL and then applying for a Masters at a Top ranked University but I don't want to take this option.

I would take a gap year and then apply...it is obvious that I wouldn't be even considered with this quite frankly disgraceful track record.

It is not 90%, however it is very close...at this moment in time I am working very hard. Averaging 90% doesn't seem feasible, however I think I can at least make it 85%.

If I were to achieve a high 2.1 (67%) do you think I would be in a good position or would it still be an uphill climb?
My GMAT (not sure about its significance) is above the average....

PS I am interested in MSC Accounting and Finance.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
If you struggled at your subject in a uni ranked 30th-40th, what makes you think you'll do better in a top ranked uni like Warwick or LSE? That doesn't make any sense

It may sound bizarre but I didn't really struggle. One could say that it was done deliberately.
I have seen my doctor and I am feeling very good for the first time in many years.
Withdrawing is something I will not do since the consensus seems to indicate that it is not a good idea.

I will finish strong (85%) and cross my fingers.
Original post by IsThereStillHope
It may sound bizarre but I didn't really struggle. One could say that it was done deliberately.
I have seen my doctor and I am feeling very good for the first time in many years.
Withdrawing is something I will not do since the consensus seems to indicate that it is not a good idea.

I will finish strong (85%) and cross my fingers.

So in your first post you say you had mitigating circumstances, then now you're saying it's done deliberately...Hmm.
I am not referring to Student Finance..I have my own savings.
I see where you are coming from...withdrawing is not an option then.
Staying and getting a good mark is the only option left.

If you have lots of money and nothing better to spend it on, your other option is to finish your current degree and then do a second undergrad degree afterwards. Oxford and Cambridge both offer two year undergrad degrees for graduates - but to stand any chance of getting in you would need a first, and that seems unlikely.
Original post by Duncan2012
Oh come on, be realistic.

Indeed Duncan.
I have contacted them over the summer and they have stated that they only care about the degree classification (2.1). Since it is LSE I would think 67% though I have seen a person who entered LSE with 65%.

Imagine I were to average 85% in my final year and graduate with a 1st class (just 70%) would I stand a better chance?
Original post by InadequateJusticex
So in your first post you say you had mitigating circumstances, then now you're saying it's done deliberately...Hmm.

It was mitigating...the whole situation is very bizarre.
I have had severe anxiety and depression (chronic)...it influenced the way I made decisions (irrational).
Original post by Snufkin
If you have lots of money and nothing better to spend it on, your other option is to finish your current degree and then do a second undergrad degree afterwards. Oxford and Cambridge both offer two year undergrad degrees for graduates - but to stand any chance of getting in you would need a first, and that seems unlikely.

I am not interested in going to Oxbridge...my only interest lies in a Masters at the likes of LSE, Imperial, Cass and Warwick (the least competitive ones).
So what are your thoughts on getting admitted if I were to just scrap a First (69.5%) if I may ask?
Will they hold my previous results against me or would this be a demonstration that there were external factors influencing me to some extent.
Thanks for the help...I understand, I don't think I will be doing it.
Though there is an option of doing distance learning with UoL and then applying for a Masters at a Top ranked University but I don't want to take this option.

I would take a gap year and then apply...it is obvious that I wouldn't be even considered with this quite frankly disgraceful track record.

It is not 90%, however it is very close...at this moment in time I am working very hard. Averaging 90% doesn't seem feasible, however I think I can at least make it 85%.

If I were to achieve a high 2.1 (67%) do you think I would be in a good position or would it still be an uphill climb?
My GMAT (not sure about its significance) is above the average....

PS I am interested in MSC Accounting and Finance.

In some universities consistently averaging above 70% in your third year (and around 67% overall) will get you awarded with a First even if you've done poorly in 2nd year.
There is a special word for this sort of "rounding up" but it escapes me.
This all sounds very confusing. Trying to cut through some of the weeds here - stay where you are and concentrate on getting the best degree you can. If you still want to apply for a masters course then do so. You need to stop worrying about percentages and 'what if' scenarios and just do as well as you can for now. Good luck.
I am not interested in going to Oxbridge...my only interest lies in a Masters at the likes of LSE, Imperial, Cass and Warwick (the least competitive ones).
So what are your thoughts on getting admitted if I were to just scrap a First (69.5%) if I may ask?
Will they hold my previous results against me or would this be a demonstration that there were external factors influencing me to some extent.

To be honest, your classification, while important, is very unlikely to be the only factor and nobody here can give you a magic number to aim for that will definitely get you in. It seems like you're hoping for a different answer to the ones given to you on the last three threads you made about this dilemma; they're not going to change.

The fact of the matter is that you need to do as well as possible to get into the universities you're thinking about. Don't dream up all these hypothetical 'what if' scenarios to try to get precise answers -- nobody here can tell you, on the basis of your friend getting into LSE with 65 percent, that you will definitely get in with 67 percent, which is what I think you're hoping for.

Just do your best and see what happens.
Original post by Ryanicholls
In some universities consistently averaging above 70% in your third year (and around 67% overall) will get you awarded with a First even if you've done poorly in 2nd year.
There is a special word for this sort of "rounding up" but it escapes me.

How each university awards its degrees and classifications are described in their 'academic regulations' or a similarly-named document.

You said you want to do a "Bachelor at a Top 10 University". Make up your mind. I don't think a MSc from LSE or Imperial would make up for your undergrad degree.
Original post by Snufkin
You said you want to do a "Bachelor at a Top 10 University". Make up your mind. I don't think a MSc from LSE or Imperial would make up for your undergrad degree.

I apologise if my reply came off as rude.
No, I listened to your suggestion (to complete the degree, instead of re-applying).
I wouldn't be good enough for Oxbridge anyway.
It is not my aim to 'make up' for my degree, I am targeting these institutes primary for a better chance in investment management (at very small firms in London...not the big guns).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending