The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asmithy
Well done!! Yes please, can I have some advice?? I just got an email today with them saying more details about the interview, and it's an MMI one! How would you prepare for that?

is your interview on the 14th??
I'm a current Radiotherapy and Oncology student (Year 1). I did my A-Levels in a year and had originally applied for BSc Physiotherapy, but got into City University through UCAS Clearing via a 45 minute phone interview.

If you have any questions about the course itself or the university life, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck with your applications!
Reply 22
Original post by WHAAAAAAT
is your interview on the 14th??

Yep:smile:
Original post by Asmithy
Ahh sounds like you've had quite a ride! What sorts of questions did they ask you over the phone? Are you enjoying the course? are you still hoping to be a Physiotherapist? Many thanks!

Well, because I didn't originally apply for Radiotherapy and Oncology, I feel that I was grilled a lot more than the candidates that did. I was asked why I decided to change course, questions about the NHS / Privatisation, ethical dilemmas, how I would behave in certain situations, etc.

The course is interesting when it comes to the anatomy and oncology, but when you get to principles of radiation, it's a bit dry, but it's vital you understand the foundations of it. I'm still aspiring to be a physiotherapist, because that's where I want to be... although radiotherapy may change that!
whats the oncology part? is it something to do with chemotherapy? ive tried researching it but i cant find any info on what oncology actually is
Reply 25
Original post by NishaaaR
x

Yeah I can imagine you must have felt quite discriminated against. Okay great thank you! I'll do my homework on the NHS and Privatisation :smile: Yeah, I know a few who've said that and about the physics side of things. Haha, that's great, thanks for your help!
Reply 26
Original post by WHAAAAAAT
whats the oncology part? is it something to do with chemotherapy? ive tried researching it but i cant find any info on what oncology actually is

It's just the study of cancers:smile:
Just study your PS well! They dont ask much such as why this course, what inspired you etc. They asked me lots based on my DofE and what skills I would use from that in the profession, why Cardiff, and what as a university they could offer for me personally :smile: hope this helps, was the only uni i applied for so cant help much
Original post by Asmithy
It's just the study of cancers:smile:

thanks!
where is everyone from?
Reply 30
Original post by Sionedmairjones
Just study your PS well! They dont ask much such as why this course, what inspired you etc. They asked me lots based on my DofE and what skills I would use from that in the profession, why Cardiff, and what as a university they could offer for me personally :smile: hope this helps, was the only uni i applied for so cant help much

Okay thank you so much! Did you have your interview recently? :smile:
You might get given some kind of scenario and you may be asked about current new stories relating to radiotherapy so make sure you have something ready. It's also worth looking up the Francis report as uni's are under pressure to 'recruit the right sort of people'... Hence the scenario possibility (it will be something general).

Interviewers aren't looking to see how much knowledge you have necessarily but you need to know what you're getting into! Make sure you know the difference between RT and DR, research modules and bring up anything you're looking forward to, mention things you've seen on work experience. If you've worked/volunteered before mention any transferable skills (communication, problem solving etc).

This is a competitive course so body language goes a long way. They understand you're nervous but make eye contact and don't sit with your arms folded!

Good luck to you all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asmithy
A small town called Ross on Wye XD (near Hereford) how about you?

im from Birmingham :biggrin:
Original post by Asmithy
Okay thank you so much! Did you have your interview recently? :smile:

No it was March 2015, I applied last year and did a deferred entry so I've got my spot for next year already :smile:
Reply 34
No it was March 2015, I applied last year and did a deferred entry so I've got my spot for next year already :smile:

Ahh that's great! How come you did a deferred entry? :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Bubble87
x

Thank you for all of this, it's been incredibly helpful! Luckily I've already done my homework on the Francis report (and VBR, HEE), and more recently done a mock interview with one of my teachers:smile: I'll research more in to modules and think about what most I'm looking forward to - thanks again for your help!
Original post by Asmithy
Ahh that's great! How come you did a deferred entry? :smile:

To save up mostly because we won't be able to have a part time job will we, and living 6-7 hours away from home is costly with transport haha! Much more excited to go now than I was when applying :smile:
Reply 37
To save up mostly because we won't be able to have a part time job will we, and living 6-7 hours away from home is costly with transport haha! Much more excited to go now than I was when applying :smile:

Yeah very true! Ahh I understand, and I thought I lived far away XD Haha, well done! :smile:
Original post by Asmithy
Yeah very true! Ahh I understand, and I thought I lived far away XD Haha, well done! :smile:

Where abouts you from? Thank you! Good luck to you with your application and interviews! Decided on a firm yet? :smile:

I worked as a bank HCA so I could work as and when I was able but some of my friends had regular weekend jobs and manged fine, although it's tough when you're on placement you get used to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest