The Student Room Group

To King’s or not to King’s?

Why would you want to go to a university, which is so unorganised that it is unable to respond to applicants in a timely manner? King’s College is one of my six choices. I applied through UCAS in late November. I have a strong personal statement, work experience, (AAA) predicted for my A-levels, excellent GCSEs and a true interest in pharmacy. All my six choices are for pharmacy, unlike a lot of other applicants and to those other applicants why do you want to do medicine/dentistry again??? Hmmm. I have offers from, Manchester (ABB), Nottingham (ABB), Aston (ABB), Kingston (BBB), LSOP (ABB) and King’s??? Well, pigs will still fail to fly.

Furthermore, it has become quite apparent that the standard offer for King’s College this year is BBB! Which is somewhat inconsistent with there advertised entry requirements of ABB or BBB/B http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp07/programme/76/entryrequirements. I wonder if there were problems making up the numbers last year? Maybe too many offers made to ‘MD wannabes’ who came up short, hence placing King’s in the awkward position of accepting the academic shortcomings of their inappropriate candidates (not surprising as they don’t interview) or to opt for clearing which doesn’t do much for a university’s prestige. I didn’t see King’s in clearing for pharmacy in 2006, did you?

Oh! and where are they in the University rankings for pharmacy?
http://education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2005/table/0,15905,-5163918,00.html?start=0&index=3&index=3 There you have it. I used to have a high opinion of King’s however that’s all changed. Due to their snail paced response time together with inconsistent advertising and negative feedback from their own students in pharmacy together with many other potential pharmacy students here in the student room.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Reply 1
league tables are as reliable as the daily mail...

if you are sensible you should ignore them...
Guardian is ****e. If you are to consider any league table, choose the Times.
Reply 3
I like using the Guardian because its not the traditional Oxbrigde, Imperial, York, Durham always occupying the top spot for everything and they have good univeristy profile pages.

Anyways, it could be to do with the fact that they lowered their offer to you because they see you as a good applicant and want to take pressure off you if you choose them. A friend of mine had the same with KCL last year. (I think for computer science)
Reply 4
I am also in a similar situation, still no response… its very odd! I was thinking about King’s as my insurance but not so sure anymore…
If this is a sign of the internal workings at King’s I would rather go for Kingston as my insurance...

Latest

Trending

Trending