The Student Room Group

Is Higher Education the right environment for working class people?

Would a return to decent apprenticeships not be the way to go? Stuff where they can really get their hands dirty and avoid all the cultural baggage that comes with uni and learn hands on practical skills with like minded folk. Have we in fact not somewhat contaminated the ex-polys with an educational ethos/facilities which frankly dont really have any place in a formal learning institution.
^

Reply 2
Well with that kind of attitude I'm sure the Conservatives would love to have you as minister of education.
gr8 b8 m8
Since when did 'trolling' become the new euphemism for 'I have absolutely no idea how to contest your point so I'll take refuge behind a term which will invalidate your every response.'

Seriously, it's the new 'privilege.' Answer the guy's point. It's a fair point, it's a valid point. We've got far too many graduates as it is and what's the point in studying philosophy, or gender studies, or politics, etc., for 4 years only to inevitably end up applying for admission onto the Asda graduate management programme?

At least when you come out of an apprenticeship you've got an actual skillset which is related to your future career. University has simply become an unproductive holiday; it's an economic black hole, an entitlement. When everyone has a degree, what's the point in having a degree?
You cannot limit someone's life choices because of the background they were born into. Apprenticeships should be available, but for any appropriately qualified person who wishes to study one, regardless of their background.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Since when did 'trolling' become the new euphemism for 'I have absolutely no idea how to contest your point so I'll take refuge behind a term which will invalidate your every response.'

Seriously, it's the new 'privilege.' Answer the guy's point. It's a fair point, it's a valid point. We've got far too many graduates as it is and what's the point in studying philosophy, or gender studies, or politics, etc., for 4 years only to inevitably end up applying for admission onto the Asda graduate management programme?

At least when you come out of an apprenticeship you've got an actual skillset which is related to your future career. University has simply become an unproductive holiday; it's an economic black hole, an entitlement. When everyone has a degree, what's the point in having a degree?

Too many people think that if they have a degree, they're guaranteed a good job. While that might have been the case in the past, it's certainly not the case now. I don't think we shouldn't have degrees, I'm all up for everything that Universities provide to students, both the education and the life lessons, and I think that students need to understand that work experience during completing a degree will get you further. I don't think apprenticeships are the answer for all w/c students, that's ridiculous. I think having a degree AND having relevant work experience is the best possible combination for enhancing job opportunities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending