The Student Room Group

Marshalling a judge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kessler`
I don't think it was. It was the BVC at NLS when I did it, although I know that the NLS model was subsequently adopted for the BPTC.

This year is the first year Civ Lit, Crim Lit and Professional Ethics have been centrally set.
Original post by Kessler`
I enter an unequivocal plea of guilty to that one.

I'd like to say it was intentional, but we both know better than that :wink: In mitigation I plead a long long long day of proofreading and statement checking, and throw myself on the mercy of the court.

:frown:

Offer still stands though.

Conditional discharge. The court expects your next 12 posts to be entirely free of spelling and grammar errors.
Hi. Sorry if this is dragging up a post from the past, but I was hoping one of you could advise me.

I met a Crown Court (Circuit) Judge the other week, and he gave me his contact details and said I should ring him and arrange to come into court with him at some point. I am about to do this, (later this morning once he's out of court) but I was hoping to do a bit of research first, so that I don't sound like a fool.

Firstly, the number he's given me in a Crown court, is that likely to be his actual office, the switchboard, his secretary/admin staff, or a group of judges' office? I'll probably find out before anyone replies but I thought I'd ask anyway, in case anyone might know. What do you think? He's given me his mobile as well, but I think I'll call the landline (which says p.m. only, presumably becasuse he's in court a.m.)

Secondly, what am I actually gonna be doing all day, would you think (from past experience, if any)? Whatever it is I'm not really fussed I'm sure it will be very helpful, but I'd like to have some sort of an idea before I go in, so that I can try and "prepare" as it were. I would guess sitting next to him in court, following him around all day, maybe chatting with him about things in some breaks, but maybe that's way out?...

Original post by mathsmusicfrench
Hi. Sorry if this is dragging up a post from the past, but I was hoping one of you could advise me.

I met a Crown Court (Circuit) Judge the other week, and he gave me his contact details and said I should ring him and arrange to come into court with him at some point. I am about to do this, (later this morning once he's out of court) but I was hoping to do a bit of research first, so that I don't sound like a fool.

Firstly, the number he's given me in a Crown court, is that likely to be his actual office, the switchboard, his secretary/admin staff, or a group of judges' office? I'll probably find out before anyone replies but I thought I'd ask anyway, in case anyone might know. What do you think? He's given me his mobile as well, but I think I'll call the landline (which says p.m. only, presumably becasuse he's in court a.m.)

Secondly, what am I actually gonna be doing all day, would you think (from past experience, if any)? Whatever it is I'm not really fussed I'm sure it will be very helpful, but I'd like to have some sort of an idea before I go in, so that I can try and "prepare" as it were. I would guess sitting next to him in court, following him around all day, maybe chatting with him about things in some breaks, but maybe that's way out?...

Hi there,

You may have already resolved your number problem: Hard to say what number he gave you: you can look on this site and check whether the number you have matches any on that page.

When I took details from a judge, he just gave me his home number - I still remember calling and having his son answer the phone.

As for what you will be doing - you will see the judge in chambers and be told about the work you will be seeing that day - you will probably be given the papers to look through. You then go into court with the Judge and sit next to him while you watch proceedings. All judges are different and some may get you a bit more involved. I shadowed 3 judges - one had me strike through each page of a transcript as it was being read in court, he also passed me notes every so often to explain things to me. The other judges had me just watching in court.

I was invited for lunch with the judges, which was very nice. The day usually ends at about 4 - 4:30.
Thanks for your comments. The number is an out of city one, which must be his home number. I left a message saying "this is a message for judge..." so he might find that odd on his home phone but whatever, no disasters yet.

That's helpful to know. I look forward to it (hopefully we can fix some details and it can go ahead!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending