The Student Room Group

EPQ- Any veterinary-related diseases with debatable causes?

As the title says- for my EPQ, I want to write a 5000 word report at the end collating all my research and making an informed judgement based on this. So it cannot be a disease with a known cause or a something that is most likely to be the cause and is almost universally agreed on, but hasn't been fully proven yet.
Also, as I started out wanting to do canine pyometra, is there anything about pyometra which is debatable and inconclusive so far? I was interested in doing the causes but a few vets I asked seemed to all have the same answer for the cause so maybe not.
Anyone?
well my guinea pig gets URIs quite a lot for no apparent reason, i'm not sure if that helps but good luck :colondollar:

Original post by PricklyPorcupine
As the title says- for my EPQ, I want to write a 5000 word report at the end collating all my research and making an informed judgement based on this. So it cannot be a disease with a known cause or a something that is most likely to be the cause and is almost universally agreed on, but hasn't been fully proven yet.
Also, as I started out wanting to do canine pyometra, is there anything about pyometra which is debatable and inconclusive so far? I was interested in doing the causes but a few vets I asked seemed to all have the same answer for the cause so maybe not.
Original post by PricklyPorcupine

Plenty of disease out there with an unknown cause.
I recently saw a case of eosinophilic colitis in horses, very rare, and I don't think we know what cases it.
Also, grass sickness in horses - cause not proven but a growing body of evidence as to what might be the causative agent.

Can you tell I have been working with horses recently :P You are better off picking a disease that has lots of research pointing towards a possible cause than one where we really don't know because there won't be much research on the topic! Because you can't make an informed decision if there is very scant evidence out there.

Good luck!
Pyos have a known cause, they're not very debatebale and there's no research as there is a very defined solution.

Grass sickness is the only thing that springs to my mind of a disease with a undefined cause but a growing body of evidence that it's C. botulinum
Bovine Tuberculosis is very current with bucket loads of studies behind it - if you're looking for a contemporary example that is probably your best one.

Pyometra is not really "debatable" unless you look into surgical management versus medical (even then the universal consensus is that surgical is better).
(edited 8 years ago)
Although t doesn't have an unknown cause, bet schools seem to loooooove bovine TB at the minute. A debatable topic about that is its wildlife resevoir and whether or not it really comes from badgers or other wildlife such as deer etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending