The Student Room Group

UEA or Exeter?

Hi,
Just wondering what people think,
I have to choose between Exeter and UEA, is anybody else in this position?
It is a very, very hard decision to make and any help would be greatly appreciated :smile: Thanks a lot...
Reply 1
Exeter!
Reply 2
It depends what you want from the place. Exeter is, overall, regarded as the better institution (and for English generally requires AAA/AAB). The courses, though, are *extremely* different, so take a look at what's on offer again because one is likely to appeal more than the other due to their relative focuses.

If that doesn't work, try to take a look again at the places and the cities. What's there, and what do you want. Practicalities, really. Though Exeter and Norwich are comparable in many ways, there are differences. It might be a case of gut reaction.

Good luck choosing!
Reply 3
I'm trying to choose between these two as well...tough isn't it?

Anyone know if Exeter's course is really hard and is the support good? IE are lecturers willing to help and friendly?

Sorry to tag these questions on to your thread, but I'm sure you might be interested too.

EDIT: Just realised, we're both at the same College...weird.
Reply 4
Its such a difficult decision!
I keep thinking of reasons to go to one and then realising good points about the other. aaaah! Going to UEA's open day on wednesday so hopefully have a better idea after that. Good advice about checking the courses really thoroughly but every time i try and find Exeter's English options it just brings up 'English and German', which is very annoying. Also thanks to Moniker for the enthusiastic response :smile: but why 'Exeter!' ? That is sooo weird!what are the chances of being at the same college?! Are you just deciding between these two or do you have any others to consider? Who is your Lit teacher?
Reply 5
BenStack
Also thanks to Moniker for the enthusiastic response :smile: but why 'Exeter!' ?

Becuase they gave me an offer, that's why :smile:
Reply 6
It is odd... I have others to consider but these will probably make up my top two. My English teacher is Jayne, better known as "the welsh one".
Reply 7
Exeter :wink:

Yes, I know I'm biased, but staff are very supportive here (mostly), they have a really good selection of module choices and when you're not permitted to make up your own essay titles, you usually have a choice of at least 6 (increasing to 10-15 in 2nd and 3rd years).

Plus, while UEA is renowned for its creative writing department, Exeter is (I think) better for English overall. We also have a very good creative-writing subsection of the department if that's what you're interested in, with creative writing options in years 2 and 3. Up until recently we had Selima Hill as poet in residence and we also have Philip Hensher (regular writer for various broadsheets and published novelist) and Andy Brown (published poet) teaching in the department.
Reply 8
Angelil

Yes, I know I'm biased, but staff are very supportive here (mostly), they have a really good selection of module choices and when you're not permitted to make up your own essay titles, you usually have a choice of at least 6 (increasing to 10-15 in 2nd and 3rd years).

Plus, while UEA is renowned for its creative writing department, Exeter is (I think) better for English overall. We also have a very good creative-writing subsection of the department if that's what you're interested in, with creative writing options in years 2 and 3. Up until recently we had Selima Hill as poet in residence and we also have Philip Hensher (regular writer for various broadsheets and published novelist) and Andy Brown (published poet) teaching in the department.

That's really helpful thank you,
I apologise now but i'm going to ask loads of questions if that is okay :smile: sorry!
what are the English buildings like? How much work do you do? what is the proportion of taught work to study done on your own? Is it a large department? How far are the English buildings from accomodation? what is the accomodation like at Exeter? Do you enjoy studying at and living in Exeter? Is there enough to do in Exeter or do you find yourself getting bored?
lol, sorry about all the questions, I really really appreciate it though :smile:
thanks a lot,
Ben
Reply 9
BenStack
That's really helpful thank you,
I apologise now but i'm going to ask loads of questions if that is okay :smile: sorry!
what are the English buildings like? How much work do you do? what is the proportion of taught work to study done on your own? Is it a large department? How far are the English buildings from accomodation? what is the accomodation like at Exeter? Do you enjoy studying at and living in Exeter? Is there enough to do in Exeter or do you find yourself getting bored?
lol, sorry about all the questions, I really really appreciate it though :smile:
thanks a lot,
Ben

wow, questions ahoy...OK, dissertation distraction here I come...
English buildings...we are housed in Queen's building, which is right in the middle of campus. It's a bit of a maze but once you're used to it you'll love it...I do :smile: Plus they're right in the middle of doing up so by the time you get here it'll be all new and shiny-looking (well, on the inside at least...the outside is a bit of a 1960s architectural wonder!).
At present I have 5 contact hours a week and none of them are for English :smile: At most I've only ever had 8 or 9 hours a week (and even then still with a goodly proportion coming from Classics!). Hence the proportion of taught work < study alone.
The department has about 300 students per undergraduate year group, so lots of friends to be made.
None of the accommodation is really far from Queens, although you've got a bit of a trek (uphill too!) if you live in Birks.
Accommodation in Exeter has been increasingly updated towards the end of shiny/brand new/ensuite/all mod cons. However, you pay through the nose for this, with the most expensive catered accommodation being about £140 a week, not including lunches (and not including weekend meals either I think, although I'd be grateful if someone could correct me if I'm wrong). Personally I think catered is bad bad bad, but that's up to you to decide. Self-catered accommodation ranges from £60 a week for something quite shabby to £95 a week for top end (although I'm currently in this top end accommodation and it's crap, stuff breaks all the time and it's very cramped...our £60 a week campus flat had 10 of us as opposed to 6 and it was a great laugh, plus the flat was indestructible!!! Stuff almost never broke!). These figures include all bills except your internet (£60 a year) and except food if you're in self-catered (I find I spend no more than £20 a week, if that, it's usually closer to £15).
Do I enjoy it? Yes. Exeter wasn't my first choice, but I've made so many great friends here and coming here meant I met my boyfriend (we've now been together nearly 2.5 years). The summer term also rocks - only 4 weeks of lectures tops, and then after exams, you have 4-5 weeks to do as you wish (usually involves much swimming, sunbathing and going to the beach, and then parking yourself in the Ram and living on alcohol and chips during Arts week!). There are also sooooo many societies here to join - the bulk of my social life comes from these and my uni experience wouldn't have been right without them.
As for studying here, I wish (in a perverse way) that we had more contact hours (we deserve more for our money than a library card, no?) and that they weren't so vague about what they expect from you in exams, but on the whole, it's good :smile:
Feel free to ask more questions if you have any :smile:
*Another somewhat biased opinion coming up* :wink:

Seriously though, as you have had a bit of an insider's look into Exeter, thought you might find some UEA info helpful :smile:

I was having a rough time when I got into UEA through clearing, as I had been quite ill and missed Cambridge and York offers, leaving me more than a little upset. Was over the moon to have somewhere to go, but obviously entered uni in a whirlwind of emotions. My point is, I can safely say that I can see why UEA came joint top for student satisfaction, as within a few weeks I never wanted to leave and I was already getting over what had been an incredibly traumatic year.

Anyway, the course is excellent. Like Exeter, there is more flexibility in the second and third years but in the first year you will have a huge range of essay questions to choose from. You have an opportunity to study one module from a course other than English to broaden your horizons a bit, these include American Studies, Film, World Dramatic Literature, etc. I chose American St. and had a great time studying some American history and literature (best of all some Henry James :biggrin:). You'll do Literature in History which will give you an idea of historical context, usually incorporating the Romantics, Renaissance, and Modernism primarily - great stuff! Reading Texts gives you a chance to do some practical criticism and close textual analysis, and Concepts is more theory based.

Workload = perfect. It's low enough for you to relax a bit and enjoy the great social life (I have made so many good friends there, tis a lovely atmosphere and as well as the clubs, pubs and many social gatherings in Norwich the campus based LCR rocks :wink:) but you write plenty of essays along the way and get many opportunities to hone your skills. I've achieved quite a good balance though there's so much going on it's difficult to stop yourself from going out every night!

It's all self catered but this isn't a problem, especially with the eating places on campus - Mango makes sandwiches and muffins to die for and you can eat in with friends or take out; Zest does proper cooked meals including breakfast; The Blend is a coffee place with comfy chairs for grabbing a drink with friends or eating and studying.

Accommodation is brilliant, we get large en-suite rooms and catering facilities for £81 a week, or £71 if you live in University Village ten minutes off campus, £65 for standard non en suite accomm on campus if you need to save some cash. Even then you get gorgeous views of the lake and the rooms aren't at all bad!

7 contact hours a week, plus the tutors have office hours you can use. In the second year they arrange one on one time quite often which is sposed to be v useful. I've been to the odd very boring lecture but generally they have been genuinely really interesting.

Only bad thing I can think of about UEA is the concrete... and you get used to that! Just live near the lake, it's a beautiful view!

Oh and if you come join Concrete the student paper - tis great fun :biggrin:
Reply 11
perdition

It's all self catered but this isn't a problem, especially with the eating places on campus - Mango makes sandwiches and muffins to die for and you can eat in with friends or take out; Zest does proper cooked meals including breakfast; The Blend is a coffee place with comfy chairs for grabbing a drink with friends or eating and studying.
Or just cook for yourself? :rolleyes: :wink:
Great post though, seriously :smile:
Angelil
Or just cook for yourself? :rolleyes: :wink:
Great post though, seriously :smile:

I did say 'especially with', am aware it isn't the only option :p: :wink: Haha though I am guilty of not being a fantastic cook, and am notorious in my flat for my love of the outstanding takeout service Dellacassa...

EDIT: Also some people are put off by the idea of enforced self catering and like to know there's an option other than cooking. Though through the efforts of a cookaholic friend I have learnt to make some dishes I am proud to say!

Thanks, yours on Exeter is too :smile:
off topic: Hi, my name is Yamila, I'm a literature student at UBA (University of Buenos Aires, Argentina) and I am doing a research on Selima Hill for a seminar on XX's century english poetry. Since you mentioned her, I have to ask: I've been having problem finding information on her influences (tradicion, new poetry group -don't know if it's correct-) and her Exeter Writing groups. What do you think I should read about that? Thank you, and sorry in advance if you find this comment annoying. :smile:

Original post by Angelil

Sadly I left in 2007 and don't know where you could find out more about her :frown: Good luck with your search though!
Off topic:
Hi, my name is Yamila, I am from Argentina. I've been doing a research on Selima Hill for a seminar on XX's century english poetry. I've been having problem finding information on Selima's influences (tradition) and her writing groups on Exeter. Since you mentioned her, what do you think I should read to find out that? Thanx, and sorry in advance if you find this comment annoying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending