The Student Room Group

Biomed transfer at UCL

Hi, I was just wondering does anybody know of anyone having transferred from a Biomed course at UCL to Medicine recently - I know they say that this cannot happen, but I have heard of ppl sayin there have been sum cases. Also I was wondering, is it possible that there wud b better luck of gettin into medicine at UCL by reapplyin while doin biomed at UCL, because my cousin was interested in doin this as he wants to go to UCL for med but hasnt done biology for his IB. would 1yr of biomed count for the bio requirement for Medicine at UCL or any other uni for tht matter???

Any ideas appreciated
There may have been one very strange situation where this actually happened, but that was very different and I think there were strong circumstances etc. In a nutshell. No transfers. Sorry..
Reply 2
I don't think any medical school will consider an application from someone already enrolled on a different degree course - unless the applicant is in their final year and applying for entry after graduation. The majority of med schools state this on their website.
Yeah theatrical is right - but that's because that's not a transfer- one will have finished the degree course before they start.
Reply 4
One year of Biomed certainly wouldn't meet the A-Level Biology requirement. Tranfers from Biomed to Medicine don't take place anymore. They used to happen about 10+ years ago when Medicine wasn't as competetive to gain entry to as it is now. However, it does happen from time to time but the circumstances would have to be truly exceptional. I wouldn't recommend anyone taking up a place on an alternative course on the off chance that they might be able to transfer onto a Medical or a Dental course at the same or at another university. You'll just be wasting your time and you probably won't even enjoy the course you're on. If you don't enjoy the course you're chances are you could end up graduating with a low classification which wouldn't really help your employment prospects/chances of applying for graduate medicine.
Reply 5
British Bulldog
One year of Biomed certainly wouldn't meet the A-Level Biology requirement.

why?
whats the A lvl biology requirement needed for studying medicine in terms of the medical course content?

Tranfers from Biomed to Medicine don't take place anymore. They used to happen about 10+ years ago when Medicine wasn't as competetive to gain entry to as it is now.

although transfers generally dont take place, its almost pedantic of me to point out that this is the wrong reason -it is less competitive to gain entry to medicine than it was 10 years ago. 1996had the last highest peak of applications per place.

A few transfers do exist of course - at SGUL, for instance. twenty times more difficult than getting in with A levels though.

However, it does happen from time to time but the circumstances would have to be truly exceptional. I wouldn't recommend anyone taking up a place on an alternative course on the off chance that they might be able to transfer onto a Medical or a Dental course at the same or at another university. You'll just be wasting your time and you probably won't even enjoy the course you're on. If you don't enjoy the course you're chances are you could end up graduating with a low classification which wouldn't really help your employment prospects/chances of applying for graduate medicine.

Excellent advice, sir. Sorry about the interruption.

Latest

Trending

Trending