The Student Room Group

Why are we giving social housing to immigrants from Poland, Bulgaria, Croatia etc?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by KimKallstrom
I've said the same thing on here before and you're right. The current immigration system is racist because Europeans, regardless of what they bring, are given privilege over Asians, Africans, South Africans etc for literally no reason what so ever other than they're European.

I'm no UKIP guy by any means but this is why people who say UKIP are racist are absolutely brainless because they're supporting a system which is a lot more racist than UKIP's point-based policy which does not discriminate over where you're from. If you have what we need, you're in. If not, you're not. No privilege for being a European.

It goes both ways though, British people in Asia aren't given privilege over e.g. Americans...The only reason Europeans are given a privilege in the immigration system is because of the EU, just like British people are given a priority in Germany than a person from Australia, immigration-wise. This works the same just about for everyone in the EU. Are you calling the whole Europe racist then?
I've said the same thing on here before and you're right. The current immigration system is racist because Europeans, regardless of what they bring, are given privilege over Asians, Africans, South Africans etc for literally no reason what so ever other than they're European.

I'm no UKIP guy by any means but this is why people who say UKIP are racist are absolutely brainless because they're supporting a system which is a lot more racist than UKIP's point-based policy which does not discriminate over where you're from. If you have what we need, you're in. If not, you're not. No privilege for being a European.

Problem is the UK is missing out. Indians/Chinese in the US/Canada are at the top tier for income and wealth, business start ups and investment.

Racism gets you nowhere.
Original post by billydisco
You said earlier migrants weren't taking social housing:

are you now admitting they are?

what other opinion do you have on this?
Original post by Bill_Gates
Problem is the UK is missing out. Indians/Chinese in the US/Canada are at the top tier for income and wealth, business start ups and investment.

Racism gets you nowhere.

You're right. I say let's base it on who you are, not where you're from!
Reply 64
Original post by chantalc
what other opinion do you have on this?

1) I dont understand your point?
2) I'm still waiting for you to tell me how the UK benefits from the EU, which isn't a typical benefit all EU countries receive?
The point is these migrant people who take social housing aren't looking after themselves either because they're taking social housing! Are you really this dense?

The point of social housing is to give people a starting point, migrants are likely to have limited funds on the arrival to the country, but with their work ethic and desire to improve they are likely to get off of it once they have sufficient finances. However, natives are more likely to live there permanently without putting any effort to improve their position by working more/educating themselves and getting a better job.
Reply 66
You're right. I say let's base it on who you are, not where you're from!

and yet they call us anti-low-skilled immigration supporters the racist ones...... !!
Reply 67
Original post by 0123456543210
You misunderstood my original point: "Migrants don't take jobs and housing, it's the lack of education and determination of those people who cry about it that does!"

All I am saying is that most of the brits who didn't get the housing probably didn't deserve it to begin with. Why our government should give housing to its citizens if they are inferior to those coming from the EU?

But the simple fact remains, migrants DO take social housing!
1) I dont understand your point?
2) I'm still waiting for you to tell me how the UK benefits from the EU, which isn't a typical benefit all EU countries receive?

1. You obviously have no other opinion on the EU other than the fact theres a housing crisis in the UK, which isn't down to the EU.
2. I don't need to give you one because it would contradict my original point. I never said that the UK gets a special treatment.
Exactly..... :wink: There isn't really anything the UK gets........ the EU is a one-way ticket.

The EU is like a marriage between a rich and poor person. Only the poor person benefits....

It will take a while for the EU to benefit everyone equally as it may seem other countries get more than we do, but the EU is long-term. The whole point of the EU is for everyone to be equal but this can't happen overnight and will take a while.
But the simple fact remains, migrants DO take social housing!

Fact remains a fact, but you can't ignore the fact that there may be a clear and coherent reason for that.
Reply 71
*face palm*. Indians consist of a wide variety of individuals. Let's break it down by religion:

Median net wealth

Jewish £422,000
Sikh £229,000
Christian £223,000
Hindu £206,000
Muslim £42,000
No religion £138,000

Anyway enjoy your low skilled, low net worth migration.

Sorry but I'm struggling to understand exactly what point you're trying to make. You just said that Indians "fare way better than everyone else". I provided some statistics which argue otherwise. You now just slapped a list of religions with no context or link to Indians whatsoever (yes I checked this; also just because someone's Hindu doesn't mean they're directly Indian! Correlation does not equal causation) then you told me to enjoy "my low skilled, low net worth immigration"? Your statistics are suggesting it's the Jews in fact who fare off "way better than everyone else", proving yourself wrong.

Of course Indians consist of a wide variety of individuals, just like various African nationalities, Eastern Europeans, Asians etc. Just what are you trying to argue here?

I can sense that you're a troll, or just really ignorant/miseducated. Either way, arguing with you is pointless.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 72
1. You obviously have no other opinion on the EU other than the fact theres a housing crisis in the UK, which isn't down to the EU.
2. I don't need to give you one because it would contradict my original point. I never said that the UK gets a special treatment.

1. There is no housing crisis in the UK, there is a population crisis. If I build ten houses and I have ten people, what happens if another ten people magically arrive?

2. If you admit answering my question contradicts your original point, then you accept I am correct and you are wrong.
and yet they call us anti-low-skilled immigration supporters the racist ones...... !!

Yeah I know, it's stupid. These people are the ones supporting a system which discriminates based purely on where you're from and nothing else, while calling other people bigoted.. It's very, very, very, very dumb.
Reply 74
Original post by 0123456543210
Fact remains a fact, but you can't ignore the fact that there may be a clear and coherent reason for that.

But I dont care about the reason? I care about the fact low-skilled immigrants are consuming our resources.

Who do you think pays for the social housing? Clue: its not the European strawberry pickers!
Original post by mark36
Sorry but I'm struggling to understand exactly what point you're trying to make. You just said that Indians "fare way better than everyone else". I provided some statistics which argue otherwise. You now just slapped a list of religions with no context or link to Indians whatsoever (yes I checked this; also just because someone's Hindu doesn't mean they're directly Indian! Correlation does not equal causation) then you told me to enjoy "my low skilled, low net worth immigration"? Your statistics are suggesting it's the Jews in fact who fare off "way better than everyone else", proving yourself wrong.

Of course Indians consist of a wide variety of individuals, just like various African nationalities, Eastern Europeans, Asians etc. Just what are you trying to argue here?

I can sense that you're a troll, or just really ignorant/miseducated. Either way, arguing with you is pointless.

You're deluded. Like i said enjoy your low skilled, low net worth immigration.
Reply 76
Who do you think pays for the social housing? Clue: its not the European strawberry pickers!

Neither are the natives/immigrants who live off nothing but social support.
1. There is no housing crisis in the UK, there is a population crisis. If I build ten houses and I have ten people, what happens if another ten people magically arrive?

2. If you admit answering my question contradicts your original point, then you accept I am correct and you are wrong.

1. Are you serious? The government hasn't made affordable houses for the majority of the UK: houses are too expensive to buy/rent, home ownership is down yet we have more than enough room to build these houses. (10% of England's land is developed). This isn't to do with the population, its due to the lack of housing.

2. How does it? I am making a point and your trying to make me come up with facts that I don't agree with.
Reply 78
You're deluded. Like i said enjoy your low skilled, low net worth immigration.

Ad hominem...Thank you for your worthy contribution.

Also, thank you, I will enjoy talking to my friends of vastly different nationalities who have a much more interesting and culturally aware point of view than most xenophobes on TSR.
Reply 79
It will take a while for the EU to benefit everyone equally as it may seem other countries get more than we do

The EU budget isn't some mythical money tree, the money comes from member countries. So if other countries are receiving more money than us- its our money they're receiving! You have just admitted the idea behind the EU is to steal money from the UK and redistribute it to Eastern Europe!

but the EU is long-term. The whole point of the EU is for everyone to be equal but this can't happen overnight and will take a while.

Redistributing British money to make Britain poorer and Eastern EU countries wealthier?

Quick Reply

Latest