The Student Room Group

Loughborough or Royal Holloway for Psychology?

Hello :smile:
I am struggling to pick my fifth university and it is between Loughborough or Royal Holloway?
Loughborough has a placement year whilst Royal Holloway allows me to do a specific degree in Clinical psychology and Mental Health.
I was just wondering what other people think of these universities??
If you want any sort of nightlife with more than 5 shops available, choose Loughborough. Loughborough is also a top 10 university where are RHUL isn't
Having worked across several universities and psychology settings, in the world of Psychology RHUL is generally regarded as having a better reputation than Loughborough. It also has it's own DClinPsy course, and although the two are quite independent, you are more likely to meet trainees and get to know people if you are highly motivated, whereas you won't get this with Loughborough.

That said, at undergraduate level both are acredited by the BPS so will be comparable. What you may want to think about is the type of research conducted, as these researchers are likely to teach some of the optional modules and it's nice to have your interests mapped onto those at the university.

Also its important you will enjoy your time there. RHUL is quite a campus bubble and that suits some people but not others. Loughborough has it's own pluses and minuses (nice market town nearby, close to Notts, but further away from the bright lights of London). It's always best to pick somewhere that suits you and you feel you will be happy at.
Was thinking about Royal Holloway psychology. My sister just graduated from Royal Holloway and says I should go, but I have a friend who is in the second year there who told me they did have a brilliant head of department but he moved to Kings College and things have gone badly downhill since then. Everything is now assessed by multiple guess, they don't give feedback on essays in exams, and the existing students weren’t consulted about the change. My sister said it was brilliant but I am thinking this is definitely one to avoid now. Why does Loughborough not have such a good reputation? Thinking of Kent and Surrey because of placements too.

Quick Reply

Latest