The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrB810
Hi,

I applied last year and was offered an interview for Audiology and was a reserve for Neurophysiology and I have a generic Biology degree with only a little neuroscience content. If you look at the personal specification a lot of it is based transferable and scientific skills rather then theoretical knowledge of the subject area, however it will help to have some theoretical knowledge of the area you are wanting to apply for.

Thanks that really helps, I've been brushing up on areas I think they could expect me to know but i'm hoping that'll be enough!

I also get the impression that it is more the transferable skills they're interested in, as at the open days so far they've been saying the introduction week at uni should bring everyone up to the same level in your subject.

Thanks for reassuring me though! and good luck this year!
Reply 61
Original post by Superhellie
Thanks that really helps, I've been brushing up on areas I think they could expect me to know but i'm hoping that'll be enough!

I also get the impression that it is more the transferable skills they're interested in, as at the open days so far they've been saying the introduction week at uni should bring everyone up to the same level in your subject.

Thanks for reassuring me though! and good luck this year!

That's also the impression I got when I went to open days last year. They can teach you the theoretical knowledge but it's usually harder to teach somebody the transferable skills
Reply 62
Genetics has changed to genomics, ugh!
Reply 63
Original post by emm18
Genetics has changed to genomics, ugh!

And Genomics has changed to Clinical Bioinformatics (Genomics)
Reply 64
Do you guys think if they had two applicants of roughly the same calibre but one went to Westminster and the other Kings for example they would always pick the kings applicant? Or would they look at other things

Also does anyone know anyone who was successful from a lower ranked uni.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm glad Reproductive Science and Histopathology haven't been changed or removed for 2016 entry
(edited 8 years ago)
Quick question - does anyone knows if IELTS is required for international applicants to apply for STP?

I know that it is not required in general (you can have other proof of English proficiency f.e. being employed in UK or graduated from UK based university). Recruitment Office has confirmed that.
However, part of the programme is MSc academic course and I am wondering what about that? Does the University requires IELTS results?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Nununu
Do you guys think if they had two applicants of roughly the same calibre but one went to Westminster and the other Kings for example they would always pick the kings applicant? Or would they look at other things

I actually found last year it was completely irrelevant. They have a points scoring system so you'd get e.g. 1 point for 2.1 undergrad, 2 points for 1st, another point for a masters/PhD, or 2 points if it's in a really relevant subject etc. I've made up this scoring system so don't take it literally! Then combined with all the points from how well you answered the application questions determines whether you proceed to interview. But the university ranking didn't seem to have any bearing from what I could tell. The slate is effectively wiped clean at interview and whether or not you get a post depends entirely on your interview score, where the university you attended wouldn't make a difference either because it wouldn't come up!
In the NHS core person spec, does 'assessed by A, I, and R' mean application, interview and review? Or is A for assessment?
Original post by librarygirl
In the NHS core person spec, does 'assessed by A, I, and R' mean application, interview and review? Or is A for assessment?

A means this will be assessed through your application, I means interview and R means references.
Reply 70
Original post by Nununu

Your qualification itself is probably the least important thing, as long as you have it. Everyone has a degree, it'll be how you answer your essay questions - experience, motivation, how you've researched the STP, etc - that will determine whether you get an interview over another candidate.
Original post by alex83
Your qualification itself is probably the least important thing, as long as you have it. Everyone has a degree, it'll be how you answer your essay questions - experience, motivation, how you've researched the STP, etc - that will determine whether you get an interview over another candidate.

Where you got the qualification is not really important but the degree itself has to be relevant. For example a degree in Biology for the Clinical Biochemistry discipline would score as not relevant; a degree in Biomedical Science would score as relevant but could be argued higher depending on the actual chemistry content and the most desirable degree is Biochemistry. Also your grade is marked as well- a 2.1 is good enough and doesn't get you rejected, a first gets you a higher mark and the best grade is having a first with relevant post-graduate knowledge (usually a research degree for clinical biochem). Your university is not part of the criteria they assess. I hope this helps people.
Original post by Superhellie
I saw this too and freaked!!

Will this change the way the course is done? genomics has also changed its name. I really hope they give us some more information soon, the genetics scheme is the only one I'm really interested in!
Reply 73
Original post by fewhite13
Will this change the way the course is done? genomics has also changed its name. I really hope they give us some more information soon, the genetics scheme is the only one I'm really interested in!

You might have to ring them up and ask them if the course as changed much. Given that they have renamed genomics as well I doubt it will have changed much but I could be wrong
Original post by Bagsworth
Where you got the qualification is not really important but the degree itself has to be relevant. For example a degree in Biology for the Clinical Biochemistry discipline would score as not relevant; a degree in Biomedical Science would score as relevant but could be argued higher depending on the actual chemistry content and the most desirable degree is Biochemistry. Also your grade is marked as well- a 2.1 is good enough and doesn't get you rejected, a first gets you a higher mark and the best grade is having a first with relevant post-graduate knowledge (usually a research degree for clinical biochem). Your university is not part of the criteria they assess. I hope this helps people.

I have a degree in Virology and an MSc in Drug Design and Biomedical Science. So my best chances are probably with the likes of Microbiolgy and Immunology right?
Original post by librarygirl
I have a degree in Virology and an MSc in Drug Design and Biomedical Science. So my best chances are probably with the likes of Microbiolgy and Immunology right?

So people who mark the application have a grid of all the criteria that are being assessed and then grade each criteria against the evidence you provide in your application. As far as I know, everything is graded equally so even if you applied for something where your background will score you low and then knock it out the park by demonstrating that you know exactly what the training entails, what a clinical scientist in your area does and how perfectly you fit the role, there should be no reason you wouldn't get shortlisted. Although the competition is fierce and so you don't really want to be losing points. I guess the majority of people apply for something they know about and just focus on that one, but in all previous threads people will say they applied for something they didn't have much experience of/applied for two different streams and got interviews for both so it all comes down to how well you can show you deserve to be picked for interview. Then as someone has said, when it gets to interview, the interviewers know nothing about you, your background, your score in the application, it's only what you tell them and your responses to the questions that get you a place.
Original post by Bagsworth
So people who mark the application have a grid of all the criteria that are being assessed and then grade each criteria against the evidence you provide in your application. As far as I know, everything is graded equally so even if you applied for something where your background will score you low and then knock it out the park by demonstrating that you know exactly what the training entails, what a clinical scientist in your area does and how perfectly you fit the role, there should be no reason you wouldn't get shortlisted. Although the competition is fierce and so you don't really want to be losing points. I guess the majority of people apply for something they know about and just focus on that one, but in all previous threads people will say they applied for something they didn't have much experience of/applied for two different streams and got interviews for both so it all comes down to how well you can show you deserve to be picked for interview. Then as someone has said, when it gets to interview, the interviewers know nothing about you, your background, your score in the application, it's only what you tell them and your responses to the questions that get you a place.

Ah ok. I have visited both Biochemistry and Microbiology nhs labs. Was very surprised to find out how much I enjoyed the Biochemistry visit and could certainly describe the role of the lab itself and what the scientists do. I just thought I may be at a disadvantage because candidates with qualifications in Biochemistry may be seen as more desirable.
Reply 77
Hi Everyone!!

I've been stalking every STP page, and today i thought it was time for me to come out of the shadows.

I am a biomed student in her second year at UEL. 2.1 last year and hoping to get a 2.1 this year. Lol a first is a big stretch for me.

Just wanted to say hi
Hello everyone I've been stalking in the background.

I've got a first class BSc (Hons) Human Biology and have recently graduated with a M.Med.Sci Assisted Reproductive Technology with a high merit. I applied during my masters last year and got through to the reserve list for interview. The online tests were OK, they let you have practice goes as many times as you want before you take the real test. The logic one I was like "aaaahhh these shapes don't fit into any pattern you've given me!" and the maths test was fine, you just have to be quick on working out percentage increases, decreases, ratios and stuff like that.I found it really confusing to figure out what they were looking for, I've had different work experience placements in hospitals, hospices, IVF labs etc; I'm just hoping now I've actually finished my masters, had more independent research experience with my thesis and I've had some work experience in pharma that I will make it through to interview! I'm gunna be applying for Repro Sciences obviously but I was thinking about applying for Cytopathology as well!?
GOOD LUUUUUCK!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HannahBolland
Hello everyone I've been stalking in the background.

I've got a first class BSc (Hons) Human Biology and have recently graduated with a M.Med.Sci Assisted Reproductive Technology with a high merit. I applied during my masters last year and got through to the reserve list for interview. The online tests were OK, they let you have practice goes as many times as you want before you take the real test. The logic one I was like "aaaahhh these shapes don't fit into any pattern you've given me!" and the maths test was fine, you just have to be quick on working out percentage increases, decreases, ratios and stuff like that.I found it really confusing to figure out what they were looking for, I've had different work experience placements in hospitals, hospices, IVF labs etc; I'm just hoping now I've actually finished my masters, had more independent research experience with my thesis and I've had some work experience in pharma that I will make it through to interview! I'm gunna be applying for Repro Sciences obviously but I was thinking about applying for Cytology as well!?
GOOD LUUUUUCK!!

The NSHCS website said Cytopathology isnt available for 2016 entry if thats what you meant as your back up choice. I'm also applying for Reproductive Sciences with Histopathology as my 2nd choice. I haven't done as much as you though. i'm only in my 3rd year of BSc (Hons) Physiology.

Quick Reply

Latest