The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Queens' College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Who's got an offer from Queens' college Cambridge? See you all on the Mathematical Bridge :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have an offer at Queens! For Economics. Haha.. isn't the bridge so great, you walk in and there's a river and a bridge right beside you :biggrin:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
*waves*
I don't have an offer from Queens', but I am a current student. I'm in my second year studying philosophy. :smile:
I'll try my best to answer any questions that you have about Queens' or Cambridge in general, but I'm going away for a week starting tomorrow... so your answers will be slightly delayed.

Alex
Reply 3
Quite appropriately perhaps, whilst 'coldfish' is elsewhere I should be able to attempt answers to any questions you may have. Any factual information given will most probably be incorrect. If that is the case, I'm sure the vastly more qualified aforementioned near-frozen, aquatic creature will correct and expand on what I have to say on his return.
Reply 4
OK... is the cafeteria really as nice as it sounds? It had me at "Roast Guinea Fowl" and "Sirloin Steak".
Reply 5
I'm fairly sure that under almost all conditions roast guinea fowl is not as good as it sounds. Ironically, as is often the case with food, the worst people to ask for an objective measurement of quality are those who eat it (particular food in question, not just any food) regularly. I remember thinking the food was really good when I first got there, and in many ways I'd still say it is. But one over/under-done 'sirloin-steak' tends to tarnish an otherwise good opinion, so I'll stick to more or less tangible facts.

Firstly, in general, I prefer the food at university to that I get at home. Secondly, the head chef has a michelin (sp?) star, which must count for something (apparently for puddings, the highest quality of which seem only to materialise at formal hall or lunch the day after). Thirdly, friends from other colleges/universities, almost without exception, say our food is better than theirs- which is what it's all about anyway...
Reply 6
johnrambo

Firstly, in general, I prefer the food at university to that I get at home. Secondly, the head chef has a michelin (sp?) star, which must count for something (apparently for puddings, the highest quality of which seem only to materialise at formal hall or lunch the day after). Thirdly, friends from other colleges/universities, almost without exception, say our food is better than theirs- which is what it's all about anyway...

I went to visit Queens' yesterday (in a YAY I MIGHT BE GOING HERE sort of way) and I saw a whole long thing on the noticeboard about how amazing the head chef is, saying he's cooked for royalty and stuff. This is encouraging, though if he's cooked for royalty and has restaurants all over the world then why is he preparing meals for a load of shabby students? Hmmm.

Not complaining though - can't wait to taste it!
I've got an offer from Queens' for philosophy 2007. :smile: On the food front, when I went for interview I stayed overnight, and I thought it was quite good.
Reply 8
I got Pooled by Queens' *bitterness :wink:*. So if theres anyone around here who went for interviews on the 4th, and theres a chance I bumped into you, I'd love to know how you did :smile:.

I'm Sarah, English, was wearing a long black skirt, by the way.
Reply 9
My train didn't get there until after dinner was over :frown: But still, I got to test the local Subway, so not a complete loss :biggrin:

I was interviewed on the 12th, wasn't wearing a long black skirt, and... *tries to think of something memorable* walked out of the waiting room looking miserable, then came back half an hour later looking semi-hyper, holding a Starbucks cup.
Reply 10
Niphredil
I got Pooled by Queens' *bitterness :wink:*. So if theres anyone around here who went for interviews on the 4th, and theres a chance I bumped into you, I'd love to know how you did :smile:.

I'm Sarah, English, was wearing a long black skirt, by the way.

I was interviewed for English on the 4th, in the afternoon. Were you in the morning or afternoon?
Reply 11
charlotte16
I was interviewed for English on the 4th, in the afternoon. Were you in the morning or afternoon?

Afternoon! 1.30pm group meeting..thing. My interview was the last one (for better or worse), 3.30pm.

Congrats on the offer by the way! Queens' was lovely, your in for a great three years :smile:.
Reply 12
Niphredil
Afternoon! 1.30pm group meeting..thing. My interview was the last one (for better or worse), 3.30pm.

Congrats on the offer by the way! Queens' was lovely, your in for a great three years :smile:.

Thanks for the congrats - I really hope you get an offer from somewhere equally amazing. Good luck!
Reply 13
charlotte16
Me too! I was the tall one with curly brown hair. I remember seeing the other people, so which one were you?

Thanks for the congrats - I really hope you get an offer from somewhere equally amazing. Good luck!

ooo, hmm, just realising now how utterly undistinguishfromeveryoneelseable I am :P. At the 1.30 meeting I was one of the ones sitting on the sofas by the door, for the most time arguing with another English student about Syliva Plath.

I do the whole thing again tomorow and Thursday, at Peterhouse :s.
Reply 14
Stick Man
My train didn't get there until after dinner was over :frown: But still, I got to test the local Subway, so not a complete loss :biggrin:

I was interviewed on the 12th, wasn't wearing a long black skirt, and... *tries to think of something memorable* walked out of the waiting room looking miserable, then came back half an hour later looking semi-hyper, holding a Starbucks cup.

I got interviewed on the 12th too! ye, i missed my train at nuneaton, then the one i finally got on broke, so it took me like 5 hours or sumfin silly to get there from liverpool. I went da burger thing in da middle the town.
I was the chinese guy in the suit wit blue shirt n tie, n sat on de sofa by the door most the day. Did you get in? I got an offer to do Engineering this year but i'm asking to defer it, so i won't be in Queens' till 2008
Yes, I got in :biggrin: I think I remember you, but I might just be imagining it.
Reply 16
w00t, we've found one of the philosophers. It's official -- philosophers must be at least 50% geekier than the average Cambridge student. The guinea fowl was a one off, afaik... but the food is normally fine. Most of the time it's not great, but it's very very rarely particularly bad. You get what you pay for. :smile:

PS I got back. Skiing is ace.
Reply 17
hey guys, is there an explanation for the small amount of Queens applicants? Queens sound great, especially the food, but why so few applicants on TSR...?
It could just be that there aren't that many on TSR.

Strangely, I also know a few people who didn't even consider it because of the name "Queens'".
Reply 19
Stick Man
I also know a few people who didn't even consider it because of the name "Queens'".

what! Does't every body want to be the Queen.

Quick Reply

Latest