The Student Room Group

Social Work

If anyone is in 'the know'...

I have a good degree from an excellent university, and as a graduate i have 'irons in the fire' as far as a future career goes. One thing i'm currently looking into is social work, for a variety of reasons. Besides the challenging nature of the work, working with people which should prove interesting, the pay seems reasonable, averaging out at 25k for newly qualified Social Workers, and of course, you can progress further and beyond etc...

Now i'd have to do a MA/DipSW of two years to become qualified as a social worker...

For those 'in the know', who have done the two years, are qualified, or have friends and/or family who have 'been there, done that' with this qualification and are Social Workers, could you just tell me a little more??? I have sent off for an information pack on Social Work...BUT it'd be nice to hear from anyone here who has first-hand experience, or has someone they know with first-hand experience, of gaining the qualification and/or working in Social Care sectors, i.e. mental health, disabilities, substance abuse et al....
white_haired_wizard
If anyone is in 'the know'...

....or has someone they know with first-hand experience, of gaining the qualification and/or working in Social Care sectors, i.e. mental health, disabilities, substance abuse et al....

Hi there,

My partner is a qualified SW and is currently working in Mental Health. I must say, you must be totally dedicated to helping others who are in need and vulnerable. Most SW that i know (and I know quite a few, through my partner) are in it for the work, passion and not for the money. Yes, the money isn't that bad, if you work out what other jobs, careers are paying and progression is always available, depending on which Council, County or Service you work for.

We are based in Essex and currently there's a lot of changes in the Essex County's Social Services (constant changes), which will mean more work for my partner and service levels will suffer. Because of budget cuts, there'll always be a shortage of posts, which leads to higher caseloads and salary increases which are below average...refer to Gordon Brown's speech a few weeks ago on Public Service Pay.

All in all, I must say I envy my partner for she does enjoy her work and there's something great about helping others. BUT, it can be very stressful work and there's not enough hours in the day to do the work.

If you are in it for the right reasons...then brilliant...go for it. But if not, think twice as not every newly qualified social worker will make a great social worker.

Finally, my partner, is completing her Masters and then plan on doing a PostGrad Diploma in Therapy....she want to move out of "pure SW" and more into Therapeutic/Counselling work. Keep your options open!!!

Good luck with your plans.

SK1
SK1
Hi there,

My partner is a qualified SW and is currently working in Mental Health. I must say, you must be totally dedicated to helping others who are in need and vulnerable. Most SW that i know (and I know quite a few, through my partner) are in it for the work, passion and not for the money. Yes, the money isn't that bad, if you work out what other jobs, careers are paying and progression is always available, depending on which Council, County or Service you work for.

We are based in Essex and currently there's a lot of changes in the Essex County's Social Services (constant changes), which will mean more work for my partner and service levels will suffer. Because of budget cuts, there'll always be a shortage of posts, which leads to higher caseloads and salary increases which are below average...refer to Gordon Brown's speech a few weeks ago on Public Service Pay.

All in all, I must say I envy my partner for she does enjoy her work and there's something great about helping others. BUT, it can be very stressful work and there's not enough hours in the day to do the work.

If you are in it for the right reasons...then brilliant...go for it. But if not, think twice as not every newly qualified social worker will make a great social worker.

Finally, my partner, is completing her Masters and then plan on doing a PostGrad Diploma in Therapy....she want to move out of "pure SW" and more into Therapeutic/Counselling work. Keep your options open!!!

Good luck with your plans.

SK1

Thanks for the reply. I'm not the type of person who is particularly money-orientated, i'm more job satisfaction on the job per se, its nature, and less-so, the financial implications of it. BUT, that's not to say money isn't at all important to me. It's just not the be-all-and-end-all. The thing i crave the most is an interesting career, one that grabs my attention, i learn something new everyday and is intellectually stimulating/challenging.

So, a qualification in SW opens alot of doors???
white_haired_wizard
So, a qualification in SW opens alot of doors???

From what I've seen, I'd say yes as long as it is in the Social Care industry. But it is obviously important to ply your trade and get enough experience and skills and competencies as possible. The start may be slow, but say after 5 years of solid SW experience, there'll be a lot more choices open to you.

Because of the Statutory nature of the work, it is imperative to get a good foundation and most Councils, etc will require you to register with the GSCC (General Social Care Council) that will require you to keep up to date with what's going on in the industry and also encourage further personal and professional development.

Just remember the SW field is vast (Probation, Leaving and After Care, Youth offending, Mental Health, Prison Services, etc) and try and find out in which area you'd want to go into. Some are better than others, but sometimes you'd only learn from experience...

The skills you'd pick up will always be transferable and can help you switch over into other disciplines, such as Therapy and Counselling, BUT you'd need to qualify yourself further for that.

What would be your main interest? Where do you see yourself in say 5-7 years?

SK1
SK1
From what I've seen, I'd say yes as long as it is in the Social Care industry. But it is obviously important to ply your trade and get enough experience and skills and competencies as possible. The start may be slow, but say after 5 years of solid SW experience, there'll be a lot more choices open to you.

Because of the Statutory nature of the work, it is imperative to get a good foundation and most Councils, etc will require you to register with the GSCC (General Social Care Council) that will require you to keep up to date with what's going on in the industry and also encourage further personal and professional development.

Just remember the SW field is vast (Probation, Leaving and After Care, Youth offending, Mental Health, Prison Services, etc) and try and find out in which area you'd want to go into. Some are better than others, but sometimes you'd only learn from experience...

The skills you'd pick up will always be transferable and can help you switch over into other disciplines, such as Therapy and Counselling, BUT you'd need to qualify yourself further for that.

What would be your main interest? Where do you see yourself in say 5-7 years?

SK1

That's it you see, there are numerous areas that most likely will interest me, adoption and fostering, asylum seekers, domestic violence, homelessness, mental health, substance abuse, youth offending issues. There are a variety of social issues that interest me (therefore more 'doors opened' arguably), so at this moment in time, it's difficult for me to envisage where i'll be in 5-7 years time. I don't think life works like that these days, sectors change, one minute one sector is nationalized, the next, a significant proportion of it has been privatized. It's not easy to think ahead because things are liable to change, increasingly so in this day-and-age when there is very rarely such a thing as a 'career for life' - you know what i mean....

regarding probation, currently i'm applying for a probation officer role for example, but, and it's a large BUT, it appears job-prospects and promotion-wise and career manoeuvrability (sic? :biggrin: ), it doesn't seem as an attractive a career, as one in Social Work...and from research there aren't many vacancies per annum for probation officers, and if successful with said application, it might mean I have to move to another part of the country, which isn't particularly ideal/desired, whereas qualification as a SW, there seems more avenues to explore, transitions that can be made within SW etc...more room for manoeuvre. Christ, decisions, decisions, decisions...

Latest

Trending

Trending