The Student Room Group

How do I make it up to her?

Hey guys, it was my friends birthday the other day. I was planning to go, but by the time I got in from work I fell asleep. I have been doing near enough 12 hour shifts this week, so I have been beyond knackered.

I knew I wouldn't be able to stay long since I had work the following day and I live out in the sticks now and I don't own a car plus the cab fare is expensive. My friends planned to go out later in the evening so I didn't have anyone to split with. I would have taken a day off, but it was very late notice.

My mum woke me up and when I worked out my timings I would have spent most of my time traveling. So I texted my friend to apologise knowing very well she'd be upset the next day, but it couldn't be helped. I said I would make it up to her and I plan to stick to my word and take her out to dinner. She hasn't replied to my last message and has changed her status to imply she's mad. I understand how she feels however I have apoligised and I'm trying to rectify things.

So what more can I do?
Reply 1
if she was your friend she'd understand

explain it to her, if she's still upset then... idk what to tell ya
Original post by z33
if she was your friend she'd understand

explain it to her, if she's still upset then... idk what to tell ya

Any other friend would. However she is quite a sensitive person and tends to take these kind of things to heart.
Reply 3
Original post by phunky_fresh
Any other friend would. However she is quite a sensitive person and tends to take these kind of things to heart.

yeah go visit her or meet up or something, find her and explain the situation

sometimes things don't work out, she can't be THAT sensitive

it'll be kind of a dick move if she just doesn't cooperate at all, if she's nice about it take her to the mall and buy her something she likes :tongue:

I find that an incredibly irritating quality in a person, I personally couldn't be friends with someone like that.

But if they mean a lot to you, then I guess just keep trying. Arrange to go out for dinner or do something she wants on a day you're off work. If she keeps ignoring your messages though and posting childish passive aggressive posts, there isn't much you can do about it.
Original post by z33
yeah go visit her or meet up or something, find her and explain the situation

sometimes things don't work out, she can't be THAT sensitive

it'll be kind of a dick move if she just doesn't cooperate at all, if she's nice about it take her to the mall and buy her something she likes :tongue:

Thanks. I'll see how she responds to me tomorrow. I plan to treat her if all goes well, I don't know how anyone could refuse that! I hope it gets sorted.
Original post by SophieSmall
I find that an incredibly irritating quality in a person, I personally couldn't be friends with someone like that.

But if they mean a lot to you, then I guess just keep trying. Arrange to go out for dinner or do something she wants on a day you're off work. If she keeps ignoring your messages though and posting childish passive aggressive posts, there isn't much you can do about it.

I feel the same. Over the years I've had to sugar coat and I hate it. I'm a very honest person especially with the people I love, so I struggle with her sometimes. She does do alot around my birthday though and I've never missed any of hers, so I hope she remembers this. I'll try again tomorrow and see if we can plan something. Thank you!
Reply 7
Thanks. I'll see how she responds to me tomorrow. I plan to treat her if all goes well, I don't know how anyone could refuse that! I hope it gets sorted.

good luck :smile:
Original post by z33
good luck :smile:

Thank you!
I feel the same. Over the years I've had to sugar coat and I hate it. I'm a very honest person especially with the people I love, so I struggle with her sometimes. She does do alot around my birthday though and I've never missed any of hers, so I hope she remembers this. I'll try again tomorrow and see if we can plan something. Thank you!

No problem. Just remember though, if the friendship becomes more of a chore than it is a rewarding and happy relationship...you're well within your rights to just leave it.
No problem. Just remember though, if the friendship becomes more of a chore than it is a rewarding and happy relationship...you're well within your rights to just leave it.

Thanks. The only issue is she's now part of my other friendship circle and I feel like im going to get left behind tbh. Like if we don't patch things up they'll probably go out without me and that's the end of that one. Anyway I texted her two days ago she was responding in a very formal manner to show she was mad, then two text messages later she didn't reply. I'm not sure if I should message her again now.
Thanks. The only issue is she's now part of my other friendship circle and I feel like im going to get left behind tbh. Like if we don't patch things up they'll probably go out without me and that's the end of that one. Anyway I texted her two days ago she was responding in a very formal manner to show she was mad, then two text messages later she didn't reply. I'm not sure if I should message her again now.

She sounds like a petty bitch, sorry to say. Just throwing that out there.

Also if the rest of the group would completely leave you out because of her they're pretty crappy friends. I've had issues in the past with certain people in friendship groups, reasonable people and good friends will still make time for you regardless.
She sounds like a petty bitch, sorry to say. Just throwing that out there.

Also if the rest of the group would completely leave you out because of her they're pretty crappy friends. I've had issues in the past with certain people in friendship groups, reasonable people and good friends will still make time for you regardless.

Haha there's been another status change. I've had enough, so tomorrow I'll call her if nothing changes then I'm done. If she is willing to give up a friendship due to something small that can be rectified then there's not much I can do. That would be a good almost 20 years of friendship down the pan.

We'll see how it goes, she's pretty much latched onto most of the group now and I'm not really close to any of them. We just get on well when we go out to events and stuff, other than that we don't really talk much. My other friends are having babies etc so I think it's time to branch out and find some new friends either way.

Edit: thanks for taking the time to read through my rant and advising!
Haha there's been another status change. I've had enough, so tomorrow I'll call her if nothing changes then I'm done. If she is willing to give up a friendship due to something small that can be rectified then there's not much I can do. That would be a good almost 20 years of friendship down the pan.

We'll see how it goes, she's pretty much latched onto most of the group now and I'm not really close to any of them. We just get on well when we go out to events and stuff, other than that we don't really talk much. My other friends are having babies etc so I think it's time to branch out and find some new friends either way.

Edit: thanks for taking the time to read through my rant and advising!

Hey :smile: it's no problem, and I'm sorry it turned out the way it did. Good luck with everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending