The Student Room Group

Plymouth Medical School Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Not sure if I'm more scared of a pre interview rejection or getting an interview and only having the next two weeks to prepare 😁
Reply 21
Original post by mariapops
Not sure if I'm more scared of a pre interview rejection or getting an interview and only having the next two weeks to prepare 😁

Have you called up to find the UKCAT cut off - i'm too scared to call up :L
LOAend
Have you called up to find the UKCAT cut off - i'm too scared to call up :L

No I haven't but I'll do it tomorrow (if I remember) and let you all know!

Previous UKCAT cut offs seem to be around the average score so i don't see how they could interview that many people! If they don't look at the personal statement, do they look at predicted grades to decide as well as UKCAT?
Reply 23
No I haven't but I'll do it tomorrow (if I remember) and let you all know!

Previous UKCAT cut offs seem to be around the average score so i don't see how they could interview that many people! If they don't look at the personal statement, do they look at predicted grades to decide as well as UKCAT?

Last year they appeared to do their first 'cull' based on predictions/achieved A levels: those with A*AA stayed in the initial mix and they then imposed a pretty reasonable UKCAT cut-off which got them to the magic number they wanted to interview. There may well have been a few exceptions to this (those with staggeringly high grades or UKCAT may have been able to offset a poor performance in the other criterion) but this applied to the vast majority of applicants on TSR. It will depend on numbers applying this year as to whether they leave the process the same, reduce the UKCAT cut-off, follow Exeter (who increased the A-level requirement to A*A*A for most interviewees last year), increase the UKCAT threshold or look at a totally different variable to help them select who to interview. There is an ideal quantity that they can manage (and afford) to interview so they will be trying to find the balance between keeping interview numbers in check whilst not missing-out on the strongest applicants…

If anyone phones about the UKCAT thresholds it may also be worth asking how many applications they received and how many they intend interviewing so that you get a better sense of what's going on.

I agree interviews are likely to be 25/26/27 Nov (if they mimic last year and the year before) with offers released simultaneously on Tuesday December 15th but this could all change for 2015...
(edited 8 years ago)
Are a lot of people applying with a*a*a predictions? I have a*aa so I really hope they don't follow in exeter's steps and pick people with a*a*a because each school has different policies on predicted grades
Reply 25
Are a lot of people applying with a*a*a predictions? I have a*aa so I really hope they don't follow in exeter's steps and pick people with a*a*a because each school has different policies on predicted grades

Yeah, it's always caused a bit of consternation that they rate achieved grades up there with predictions but (fingers crossed) you should hopefully be OK if your UKCAT is solid; good luck!
Reply 26
You didn't need A*AA last year for Plymouth to get interviewed, it was AAA
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Rampage
You didn't need A*AA last year for Plymouth to get interviewed, it was AAA

As I said, there may have been some exceptions (particularly in the second wave of interviews after Christmas) however the vast majority of interviewees on TSR had A*AA predictions last year...
Reply 28
They interview at the end of the month?! 😁 umm I'll be over the moon if I do get an interview, but two weeks for interview prep will be stress :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Rang them up today, here are the cutoffs

VR:530
QR:650
AR:610
DA:600

Overall: 2610
Interview dates: 25th/26th/27th

They are hoping to notify us by the end of the week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for finding out the cutoffs for each section,

I achieved the following score this year:

VR:550QR:740AR:690DA:610Overall:2590

would this mean that I will be rejected based upon the overall score?
Original post by arbaaz sayed
Thanks for finding out the cutoffs for each section,

I achieved the following score this year:

VR:550QR:740AR:690DA:610Overall:2590

would this mean that I will be rejected based upon the overall score?

I don't actually know...I would have thought no because you have exceeded each of their individual section cut-off scores. But they set an overall score, which you have narrowly missed. However they may make an exception since you're really close to the cut-off and I think they apply a standard deviation to the overall cut-off anyway
(edited 8 years ago)
but don't you have to exceed/meet the overall score swell (which was 2610 for this year) - I got 2590 :s-smilie:
ah nvm i found the answer:

You will be required to meet aminimum standard in each of the four subtests, plus meet an overall target score which is set andreviewed annually by the Admissions Advisory Panel. Thanks anyways
Reply 34
Original post by medlyfe
Rang them up today, here are the cutoffs

VR:530
QR:650
AR:610
DA:600

Overall: 2610
Interview dates: 25th/26th/27th

They are hoping to notify us by the end of the week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amazing thanks a lot for finding that out, fingers crossed on hearing from them this week!
I got

VR 720
QR 760
AR 540
DA 660
Total 2680

SJT Band 1

Does that mean I'm out then? I made the overall cutoff but not the individual AR one
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by robins620
I got

VR 720
QR 760
AR 540
DA 660
Total 2680

SJT Band 1

Does that mean I'm out then? I made the overall cutoff but not the individual AR one

I'm really sorry but, if the information we have is correct, it looks as though you have narrowly missed-out. Finger's crossed but if this doesn't work out then best of luck with your other choices...
Yeah, just checked the website and it looks like you're right. I was always much worse at AR but I didn't think that it would cost me an interview.....oh well. Move on I suppose :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by robins620
Yeah, just checked the website and it looks like you're right. I was always much worse at AR but I didn't think that it would cost me an interview.....oh well. Move on I suppose :smile:

Goodluck with your other choices, you've got a good ukcat score.

I didn't really like Plymouth (in my experience)
Does anyone know the process in which people are selected for interview? Is it simply those who just meet academic requirements (AAA predicted) and have met all the UKCAT cut offs are guaranteed an interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending