The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Students With Children

Hello! *waves*

I'm a mature student (29 this week - yikes!) and I have just started my first year. I'm doing Creative & Professional Writing, which I'm really excited about.
I haven't made friends yet but anyone I have spoken to has been really friendly, which is always awesome.

What I'd really like to do is to connect with other students who are parents. I have two children aged 3 and 6, and I'm a single parent, and the enormity of all the assignments and reading is already overwhelming. I know I can't be the only student who is (attempting) to manage their studies around parenthood, right?

So speak up! Let's share tips, worries, ideas and support so that we can get through uni and succeeding!

Whether we talk online or meet up on campus for a cuppa, get in touch x
Reply 1
Hey! 29 also,just started first year in international hospitality management there are a few of us with children on my course I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't the oldie of the group because i thought I would be,the first couple of weeks have been information overload so it's been tough getting into academic mode again after so many years but really enjoying it and so glad I went for it.
How are you finding juggling everything with the children?so far my lectures have all been school hours so I havent had to worry about that.
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Barlow86
Hey! 29 also,just started first year in international hospitality management there are a few of us with children on my course I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't the oldie of the group because i thought I would be,the first couple of weeks have been information overload so it's been tough getting into academic mode again after so many years but really enjoying it and so glad I went for it.
How are you finding juggling everything with the children?so far my lectures have all been school hours so I havent had to worry about that.

Yeah I've seen a few other mature students in some of my groups but we haven't mingled yet. It doesn't help that there are so many students in one lecture, so I don't really know who is in what lol.

I am at uni until 6pm on a Monday so I have my children in after school club and then a childminder picks them up for two hours, so that's my busiest day really. It's a jam packed day of lectures and seminars and uni, and then straight home into mommy mode. Leaves me feeling exhausted for the week. The only other day I'm in is Thursday morning for lectures, so breakfast club in the morning for the girls. But I'm finding I go to uni a few times a week to the library.

It really has been information overload, and I just hope I maintain some energy in the evenings when my children are asleep. It's a new routine, I guess, and it will just take some getting used to. I's meant I've had to get super organised!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending