The Student Room Group

I've made a massive mistake.

So, I'm a student down near Bighton, and this weekend I returned home to see my friends. Us all being students, we all went out for the night. Now, before this night out my financial situation was good, had no debt, and a comfortable budget to last the year.
However, I visited a slightly dodgy club last night, and made the massive mistake of paying on card. I came home to a receipt of £300 from just one transanction. I'm in no way trying to get this money back, its my fault it ended like this.
On this night out, I also managed to take a large amount of cash out as well throughout the night.
So essentially, I now have less than £30 to last until Christmas. I was up all night last night worrying about this, as I don't currently have an overdraft enabled on my account. I'm going to apply to get this changed tomorrow when the office is open. But I'm scared they won't allow it to be done if I such low balance, since my friend had to deposit £500 to have his santander over draft opened.
For information, I'm with Barclays and have been since I was about 16, so got automatically changed to the student account without being given the option for an overdraft.

Help I don't know what to do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flux_Dubstep
So, I'm a student down near Bighton, and this weekend I returned home to see my friends. Us all being students, we all went out for the night. Now, before this night out my financial situation was good, had no debt, and a comfortable budget to last the year.
However, I visited a slightly dodgy club last night, and made the massive mistake of paying on card. I came home to a receipt of £300 from just one transanction. I'm in no way trying to get this money back, its my fault it ended like this.
On this night out, I also managed to take a large amount of cash out as well throughout the night.
So essentially, I now have less than £30 to last until Christmas. I was up all night last night worrying about this, as I don't currently have an overdraft enabled on my account. I'm going to apply to get this changed tomorrow when the office is open. But I'm scared they won't allow it to be done if I such low balance, since my friend had to deposit £500 to have his santander over draft opened.
For information, I'm with Barclays and have been since I was about 16, so got automatically changed to the student account without being given the option for an overdraft.

Uh. No. Fight your case and try to get your money back rather than immediately giving up. They may give you your money back, you have the receipt and they should have system that shows what was bought so they'll be able to tell whether you were overcharged.
Original post by SophieSmall
Uh. No. Fight your case and try to get your money back rather than immediately giving up. They may give you your money back, you have the receipt and they should have system that shows what was bought so they'll be able to tell whether you were overcharged.

The thing is, I doubt this will happen. Its not as if I didn't spend close to this amount. If I'd been charged 300 for a pint I would defintely fight for the money back, but yeah lets just say it may well have cost 300 for this night
The thing is, I doubt this will happen. Its not as if I didn't spend close to this amount. If I'd been charged 300 for a pint I would defintely fight for the money back, but yeah lets just say it may well have cost 300 for this night

Then you did in fact make a stupid mistake.

Curb your drinking habits, that is not remotely a normal amount to spend.
Original post by SophieSmall
Then you did in fact make a stupid mistake.

Curb your drinking habits, that is not remotely a normal amount to spend.

I'm aware this was absurd. I appreciate your concern, but I've accepted this mistake. I'm more worried about how I go forward from this
that must have been one hell of a hangover
Reply 6
since when did drug dealers accpet card lmfao
It wasn't really drink that racked up the cost. It was all the aditions that you end up buying whilst drunk. The vip booths and the like

Do you have any family members that can give you some money to tide you over until you can get an overdraft sorted? If Barclays won't give you one then I would switch to another bank, but this may take a few days.
Reply 9
You're stuffed by the sounds of it.
Reply 10
get a part time job, work extra shifts

take out a loan to get you through until you find your job - make sure it pays well like at Aldi's or something
then pay it back

idk really... that's what i would do if no family members offered to help
It wasn't really drink that racked up the cost. It was all the aditions that you end up buying whilst drunk. The vip booths and the like

Get the overdraft, failing that most universities give out hardship funds.

And in future remember that vip booths are a stupid waste of money, and they kind of make you look like a dick to the rest of the club goers.

Relax. Student accounts usually come with an automatic overdraft. At least with Natwest and Santander they do.
Original post by stochasticking
Relax. Student accounts usually come with an automatic overdraft. At least with Natwest and Santander they do.

I thought it would, but now I'm scared after reading the words "subject to status"
I thought it would, but now I'm scared after reading the words "subject to status"

Call them tomorrow morning? Have you given confirmation of your student status? That's probably all they are after.
Original post by stochasticking
Call them tomorrow morning? Have you given confirmation of your student status? That's probably all they are after.

I will call them tomorrow, they may not be aware of my student status since I got automatically transferred to the student account

Don't worry about the 500 thing thats per term as a deposit. No doubt you have had 500 pounds worth of deposits in the last 4 months.....

It will be a simple case of going into the office and applying for an overdraft.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks that makes me a lot more confident
Hope it all works out but next time you go out take cash only, no cards that you can spend rediculous amounts of money on
Yeah I'm never taking plastic on a night out again haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending