The Student Room Group

Studying business

At college one of the subjects I'm studying is business. I didn't studying this at GCSE, so I've got no idea what to expect. What kind of things does this cover? I've got to catch up on about 6 weeks of work alongside 5 other subjects. Does anyone have any good ideas of studying for this subject? I'm really wondering what difference this could have on my career; what jobs would this help? Thanks!!! ;-)
I didn't take business at GCSE either, but I'm not in my second year of sixth form and have carried the subject on to A2 level. It's not that difficult to pick up. I bought the GCSE revision guides thinking I would need to cover the basics, but I used them very little.

I assume you're taking AS business? It depends on your exam board, so I would try looking at the website to see what topics they cover. I would get the relevant CGP revision guide as it covers most if not all exam boards and tells you which bits are relevant to your course.

I don't usually get on with flashcards, but there's so much terminology to learn I would strongly recommend it. In order to keep on top of it, I would start making your flashcards soon, and add to them as and when you have learnt new terminology. I would do the same for the equations, as there's a lot of these as well.

I thought it would be much more relevant to everyday life than it is, maybe Applied Business is better for versatility... But it gives you an insight into how businesses are run and there's a lot of finance related areas which could really help with accounting. It's good to have as common knowledge even if you don't want to go into anything business-related as a career. I do believe that the course is helpful to most areas of work. I can't think of any workplace that isn't a business, so your knowledge on how things are run could really help you. I guess it depends on what your aspirations are.

Hope this helps,
Katie
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending