The Student Room Group

Should I rewrite my story?

Something's not quite right with the story as it's written and I just took a decision that changes a fair bit. The stories have been edited to reflect that, but I don't want to revisit the same ground again, but it doesn't seem right

I have another series (currently an idea with a little written) that doesn't really have a plot, but a premise and what's written is really good.

Should I rewrite? Do you ever rewrite?
don't ever throw anything away ! you will regret it in the future if you do
Sometimes you have to re-write things in order to make them better.

I am currently discussing my book (which was, in my mind, finished) with a publisher who thinks that it would work better as a series. Having thought about it, I realised that he was right and that by re-working my material, I could improve it considerably.

If the thought of doing any more work on it makes you sick, then obviously don't force yourself, but if you think that with a bit more work it would be really good, then go for it :smile:
Original post by Plumstone

I am currently discussing my book (which was, in my mind, finished) with a publisher who thinks that it would work better as a series. Having thought about it, I realised that he was right and that by re-working my material, I could improve it considerably.

If the thought of doing any more work on it makes you sick, then obviously don't force yourself, but if you think that with a bit more work it would be really good, then go for it :smile:

Hopefully you're still online when I type this, but you know what's weird. I resurrected a set of characters I said I'd never come back to, slapped the same plot premise on them and got writing and...it was beautiful. It felt like it worked better and I was in the zone. Scenes just completed themselves in my mind's eye and the characters told me what to write. Some ideas which felt sort of clunky or stupid in the original just work with the resurrected set.

EDIT: A lot of the ideas actually started of being meant for the resurrected set of characters.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4

what's it about? because if it's anything horror related i will BUY IT NOW

if its a romance novel - not my thing lol
Original post by mine turtle
Hopefully you're still online when I type this, but you know what's weird. I resurrected a set of characters I said I'd never come back to, slapped the same plot premise on them and got writing and...it was beautiful. It felt like it worked better and I was in the zone. Scenes just completed themselves in my mind's eye and the characters told me what to write. Some ideas which felt sort of clunky or stupid in the original just work with the resurrected set.

EDIT: A lot of the ideas actually started of being meant for the resurrected set of characters.

I'm really pleased you've got back into it - it's a great feeling when it just writes itself!

Original post by z33
what's it about? because if it's anything horror related i will BUY IT NOW

if its a romance novel - not my thing lol

Thanks, but things are still in the early stages - I might get the first book of the series finished and published next year.

Also, it's a fantasy adventure book, so not really horror and it's aimed at young teens, so probably not your age group :tongue:
Reply 6
I'm really pleased you've got back into it - it's a great feeling when it just writes itself!

Thanks, but things are still in the early stages - I might get the first book of the series finished and published next year.

Also, it's a fantasy adventure book, so not really horror and it's aimed at young teens, so probably not your age group :tongue:

aowh :frown: omg...

i'm no longer a young teen! :eek: *excuse me while i have a quarter life crisis*
Original post by z33
aowh :frown: omg...

i'm no longer a young teen! :eek: *excuse me while i have a quarter life crisis*

You think you've got it tough? I'm almost 22 - which is almost 25 - which is halfway to 50 :cry:
Reply 8
You think you've got it tough? I'm almost 22 - which is almost 25 - which is halfway to 50 :cry:

:eek: oh my gosh but still you've got like 28 years til 50, which is longer than your life already by 6 years AND more than aaaaaaaaaallllllllllll the time you've been alive here on planet Earth which I bet seems like a REALLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY long time because I'm 17 and if i look back in time it seems like I've been alive FOREVER!
Original post by z33
:eek: oh my gosh but still you've got like 28 years til 50, which is longer than your life already by 6 years AND more than aaaaaaaaaallllllllllll the time you've been alive here on planet Earth which I bet seems like a REALLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY long time because I'm 17 and if i look back in time it seems like I've been alive FOREVER!

Yes, but time speeds up as you get older.

It seemed like aaages for me to get from 13 to 17 - it felt like a whole lifetime.

Getting from 17 to 22, on the other hand, has been incredibly quick - I remember being 17 like it was yesterday.

So it is probable that time will continue to speed up for me and then I will be reaaally old...
Reply 10
Yes, but time speeds up as you get older.

It seemed like aaages for me to get from 13 to 17 - it felt like a whole lifetime.

Getting from 17 to 22, on the other hand, has been incredibly quick - I remember being 17 like it was yesterday.

So it is probable that time will continue to speed up for me and then I will be reaaally old...

oh ma gawsh don't scare me like that :frown: oh well it only goes quick when you're having fun so lets just be miserable haha
Original post by z33
oh ma gawsh don't scare me like that :frown: oh well it only goes quick when you're having fun so lets just be miserable haha

Nah, being miserable is a waste of time - my best advice is to enjoy it even if it does make it go quicker :smile:

Also, your post made me remember this quote that my GP has on the wall in his office:

"Giving up drinking, smoking and good food doesn't make you live longer, it just feels like en eternity"

always makes me laugh!
Reply 12
Nah, being miserable is a waste of time - my best advice is to enjoy it even if it does make it go quicker :smile:

Also, your post made me remember this quote that my GP has on the wall in his office:

"Giving up drinking, smoking and good food doesn't make you live longer, it just feels like en eternity"

always makes me laugh!

ahaha that's so true though :lol: yeah.. i guess life really is too short - i need to go sky diving and meet my favourite idols

Quick Reply

Latest