The Student Room Group

How do you know you real?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eggs20
You might doubt you own existence because you don't exist in the first place and you just imagining you dubting you own existence that doesn't even exist.

I can't imagine anything if I don't exist...
I can't doubt if I don't exist...

It's well known that one of the only things you can be certain of is your own existence because you can only think about your own existence if you do exist to think about it. Everything else might not be real...I might not have a body...everything else may be my imagination but I 100% definitely exist or I would not be able to contemplate it.
Original post by Eggs20
How do you know?

How do you know humans even exist?

I don't think you're a human being.
Go back to your alien planet.
Stop asking stupid questions. Thanks.
Original post by Eggs20
Amitted what?

I haven't said I am real.

How do you know I am even real?

It wouldn't make sense asking that question and, if you did ask, the answer would be withing the question as I said previously. This is because if you ignore the answer within the question then your question would be self contradictory because if you don't know whether you are real in the first place then you wouldn't know you were real even if you actually were real.
Reply 43
Because I can think and experience things even if I am part of someone's imagination I am real on some level because their thinking about me makes me real.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eggs20
lol nike?

How embarassing

how is it embarrassing? just proves that I'm very real :tongue:

:rofl:
Original post by K.C
The quote, is indeed from Rene Descartes' "I think therefore I am."

What my post conveyed however, is that real people do not think given the way people act in society and thus I chose to include "not" in the quote.

#logicked
I exist, therefore I think.
-Ayn Rand.

A very good post I found on the topic:

'Actually, having studied Descartes in college–and being highly influenced by Cartesian and platonic philosophies–I can say, finally, that Descartes has it wrong.See, the point Rand is driving home is that you can’t reach the conclusion “I think, therefore I am” before having an external world that “fills” contents for your consciousness to be aware of and to think about. In other words, the primacy is of existence–not of consciousness. Rand correctly rectifies this by saying “I am, therefore I think.” In other words, without the “I am” –a statement of existence, there cannot be the “I think”–a statement made in response to contents of consciousness derived from existence.Rand’s metaphysics is, therefore, actually more complete because it starts at an irreducible primary–existence.'
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by K.C
The quote, is indeed from Rene Descartes' "I think therefore I am."

What my post conveyed however, is that real people do not think given the way people act in society and thus I chose to include "not" in the quote.

Indeed you seem to be right.:holmes:

Very philosophical.
i know because questions on existentialism dont pay the bills
Reply 49
Original post by Munrot07
I can't imagine anything if I don't exist...
I can't doubt if I don't exist...

It's well known that one of the only things you can be certain of is your own existence because you can only think about your own existence if you do exist to think about it. Everything else might not be real...I might not have a body...everything else may be my imagination but I 100% definitely exist or I would not be able to contemplate it.

How do you know you really think about you own existence though and it is just not completely made up?
Reply 50
Original post by Incredible97
I don't think you're a human being.
Go back to your alien planet.
Stop asking stupid questions. Thanks.

lol you mad because this question is too intellectual for you?
Reply 51
Original post by Jiaaaaaa
how is it embarrassing? just proves that I'm very real :tongue:

:rofl:

lol only the lowest of the low use nike brands. :colondollar:

Are you really the lowest of the low? :eek:
Reply 52
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
It wouldn't make sense asking that question and, if you did ask, the answer would be withing the question as I said previously. This is because if you ignore the answer within the question then your question would be self contradictory because if you don't know whether you are real in the first place then you wouldn't know you were real even if you actually were real.

I'll ask again since you not answering the question.

How do you know I am real?
Reply 53
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
i know because questions on existentialism dont pay the bills

How do you know?
Original post by Eggs20
lol only the lowest of the low use nike brands. :colondollar:

Are you really the lowest of the low? :eek:

Ever heard of a thing called sarcasm?
Original post by Eggs20
How do you know?

sleeping on the streets in winter is all the reality i need
Original post by Eggs20
I'll ask again since you not answering the question.

How do you know I am real?

The fact that this thread was initially in the chat forum explains why you don't understand people's responses even though I haven't read through the thread. Why not make another thread under the title How would you know you are real if you were real? Hopefully that will get you more optimistic responses.
Original post by PrincessZara
“When you’re awake, you know you’re awake. But when you aren’t, you don’t know you aren’t.”

That is so deep Adele is rolling over me.
Reply 58
what if life is just a coma and right now you actually lying in some hospital bed?
Reply 59
Original post by Eggs20
what if life is just a coma and right now you actually lying in some hospital bed?

What if you're just a brain in a vat?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending