The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Certainly. It would have to be a very large sum of money, though. Large enough for me to take some friends travelling, buy a nice house somewhere and get me through a degree at Durham or somewhere similarly awesome. And then have some left over.
Reply 2
A great question in my opinion- however, I can not answer it.

yes- money! Imagine if some nutter offered £10million

no- is it dishonest?
Reply 3
We had this sort of thread last year as well, only there was a specified amount on it- £1m I think it might have been. I think it makes sense to give it up for that kind of figure (assuming no other possibilities are limited to you by doing so).
Reply 4
yes. You'd have to cover the subsequent bribe money to get my place back, though.
I would, yes.

For,ooh... £10 million?

And then I'd apply again the next year after a year of luxury. And offer a large donation to the college also.
Reply 6
Meh, if I could have a place at another med school of my choice, I'd give up mine.
Reply 7
wawrwinka
Some of you aren't really getting what I mean by this. I mean, would you give up the opportunity altogether for money? - no applying next year or anything.

I'm sure I'd be pretty happy at a university like the LSE, or Warwick or somewhere. Plus money of the kind we're talking about could be quite nice for a great education at one of the top US universities. Oxbridge isn't the be-all-and-end-all of education y'know.
wawrwinka
Some of you aren't really getting what I mean by this. I mean, would you give up the opportunity altogether for money? - no applying next year or anything.

Yes, I'd give it up completely. The past 2 years have been the best of my life, but that's not so say that I wouldn't have had a similar or equally good experience elsewhere.
Reply 9
Hmm, actually no, I probably wouldn't. Not just for money, anyway. Giving up 3+ years of being happy doing something you enjoy at a place you love (those are the conditions, right?) for a certain amount of money, without having any form of guarantee that the money would actually buy you similar happiness, wouldn't really be a wise decision, I think.
If you got something like £10 million for it, you could just live off the interest. Given that a lot of people go to university to enhance their future employment prospects, this kind of money would make a degree kind of redundant. So yeah, i'd give up mine for money.
yer of course. for one million i d def do it. the minimum i d do is 300k probably
Reply 12
No. Money is overrated. I wouldn't know what to do with a large sum of money anyways. In all likelyiood, I think I'd be murdered or robbed because of the money - there are a lot of selfish crazy people out there!
But millions buys a lot of bodyguards...
Reply 14
FadeToBlackout
But millions buys a lot of bodyguards...

The bodyguards are dangerous too! Lol, I'm paranoid!
Reply 15
Mauve
The bodyguards are dangerous too! Lol, I'm paranoid!

Bodyguards are especially dangerous, actually, because they're armed and know you're vulnerable (otherwise you wouldn't have employed them in the first place).:wink:
Reply 16
Honestly, money (and fame) ruins your life. It's called the Britney-effect :wink:
Reply 17
For every Britney theres a Beckham is there not?
Reply 18
I am not British, so I am ignorant of your associations with Beckham. Fame? or failure? or stupidity?
Reply 19
Beckham has money and fame yet still seems to be happy.

Latest

Trending

Trending