The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt 2016 Applicants - Ask us anything!

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I accepted a postgraduate offer yesterday and I was wondering when I should expect to pay my fees? I am also wondering when I will find out timetable/welcome week information and dates etc.
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by Sarah51742
Hello! I accepted a postgraduate offer yesterday and I was wondering when I should expect to pay my fees? I am also wondering when I will find out timetable/welcome week information and dates etc.

Hi Sarah

Is it IBM with Project Management you've accepted the offer for? Once you go 'unconditional firm' with us you'll get an email with all the details about what you need to do before arriving for Welcome Week.

Ali on behalf of SML Postgraduate Admissions Team :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi lesleyjane :smile:

You can see last semester's Year 1 timetable here to give you an idea. You will be given your timetable at your first meeting in Welcome Week (5th September). Most students do not have classes on Wednesday afternoons.

Our academic year is divided into 2 semesters corresponding to 30 weeks. There will be 12 weeks teaching in each semester. You are expected to study 4 courses each semester, giving a total of 8 courses in a full year. All undergraduate courses are designed to be of equal length in terms of student effort. The average student is expected to put in a total effort of 150 hours per course. These 150 hours includes all lectures, tutorials, computing labs, workshops, background reading, writing up notes, coursework, revision and examinations for the course.

We look forward to welcoming you here next month :dance:

Holly (School of MACS)

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Is it very difficult to have a part time job with these hours in the week, as some classes end at 1715 on this timetable? I'd mostly be unable to work weekends and was hoping I'd be able to work 2 days in the week. I'm also wondering how many lectures are obligatory, or if it's possible to miss some for work reasons?

Edit: I don't suppose it would be possible to see the timetable before start to be able to give employers notice?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wheredidshego
Hi, I'm coming from Northern Ireland ... At what date should I come over ? Is freshers week the 4th? I feel like there are a lot of posts on Facebook on the nightclubs that people are going to that week but I HAVE NO IDEA ... I want to take part fully but it's hard when I have no friends yet and no idea what I'm doing haha

HI Wheredidshego,

The freshers week starts on the 3rd of September. There is plenty stuff to get involved in. Check out our union website to find out more about the programme.

http://www.hwunion.com/freshers

See you in September,
Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Original post by lesleyjane
Hi, thanks for your reply!

Is it very difficult to have a part time job with these hours in the week, as some classes end at 1715 on this timetable? I'd mostly be unable to work weekends and was hoping I'd be able to work 2 days in the week. I'm also wondering how many lectures are obligatory, or if it's possible to miss some for work reasons?

Edit: I don't suppose it would be possible to see the timetable before start to be able to give employers notice?

Hi LesleyJane,

Students do manage to have a part time job, and normally it can fit round your studies quite well. Some students get jobs on campus in the shop or in the bar. Unfortunately I don't have a timetable for this year yet but you will get in in Welcome Week which begins on the 5th of September.

Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Bit confused about what is allowed in the halls. It says that no heating appliances are allowed but do I assume that an iron is not counted as an heating appliance and therefore allowed. as well as no additional furniture is allowed but do those plastic tower draws count as furniture therefore are they allowed. kind regards Bill1999
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bill1999
Bit confused about what is allowed in the halls. It says no heating appliances but do assume that iron's are allowed. as well as it's said no additional furniture is allowed but are those plastic tower draws allowed.

Irons and ironing boards are provided in the halls so you wont need to bring them along with you.

re additional furniture, the rules are there for fire regulations so nothing that you will trip over or block exits. It might be worthwhile waiting till you arrive to see the layout of the room. There is a massive IKEA and a Homebase not far from the campus (a couple of miles away) that you can get stuff from... other home furnishing stores are available :lol:

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Keir
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Irons and ironing boards are provided in the halls so you wont need to bring them along with you.

re additional furniture, the rules are there for fire regulations so nothing that you will trip over or block exits. It might be worthwhile waiting till you arrive to see the layout of the room. There is a massive IKEA and a Homebase not far from the campus (a couple of miles away) that you can get stuff from... other home furnishing stores are available :lol:

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Keir

Thanks and as I've looked at the plan of the room I'm getting and i believe it will go in without being in anyone's way so ill pack it. Thanks for the quick response, now i can get back to what i think i will need to take with me.
Thanks and as I've looked at the plan of the room I'm getting and i believe it will go in without being in anyone's way so ill pack it. Thanks for the quick response, now i can get back to what i think i will need to take with me.

No problem Bill, any more questions just give me a shout!

See you in September,

Cheers,
Keir:smile:
I'm going into the hall flats with 4 other people, I'm wondering if these other people are selected in any way to keep people who are alike together (with respects to age, gender or courses).
Hello!

Would it be possible to go for a year abroad in one of your international campuses in Malysia o Dubai during the second year, and then go on a regular exchange during the third year?

Cheers,
Tomasz
I'm going into the hall flats with 4 other people, I'm wondering if these other people are selected in any way to keep people who are alike together (with respects to age, gender or courses).

Hi Bill1999 :wavey:

People are divided into level of study (undergrad/postgrad) and direct entry students are separate from 1st years. Other than that, it is randomly allocated which gives you the opportunity to meet and mix with a big group of people across the university.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Carole
Original post by Tomasz Jaworski
Hello!

Would it be possible to go for a year abroad in one of your international campuses in Malysia o Dubai during the second year, and then go on a regular exchange during the third year?

Cheers,
Tomasz

Hi Tomasz :wavey:

Indeed it is possible! In fact, I was just speaking to a student who spent a semester of their 2nd year in Dubai and he is now in Canada, about to start his third year on an exchange to the University of Calgary!

We have just posted our brand new Go Global video and he is the first student to be interviewed on it (Jacob). He's the one sky diving over Dubai! :groovy:

Check it out and let me know if you have any more questions about Go Global:
https://youtu.be/l_iLJJ8WPWA

Carole
Thanks for the fast answer!

I also have a follow up question. I will be studying business management with enterprise. The exchange programmes aren't only for people studying international business, right?

Cheers,
Thomas
Thanks for the fast answer!

I also have a follow up question. I will be studying business management with enterprise. The exchange programmes aren't only for people studying international business, right?

Cheers,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately it is only the International Business Management programme that has an exchange during the 3rd year. If you were on this programme, you could do an Inter-Campus Transfer during your 2nd year (or possibly 4th) and an Exchange during your 3rd year.

Exchange options are to the USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Belgium, Poland, Sweden, Italy, or France. :france:(very few flags available!)

Let me know if you have any more questions :hmmmm:

Carole
Can I do a campus transfer during this type of business programme?
Hi I am a 2nd year student from King's College London and studying BSc Pharmacology (first two year's results are in the 2:1 to 1st class range). I am actually quite interested in the Actuarial Science programme that you offer (the one which is 3 years). I do have AABc (Maths, Biology, Chemistry and an AS extended project) during my A' levels from a London college. I have not made any UCAS application, yet. I was wondering what your admission process would be for a student like myself for the 2016/2017 course. Also what would the student funding be like (I did receive student loan during my first two years at King's). I sent an email to the clearing email ID on your website. I am hoping to hear from you soon. Thank you.
Can I do a campus transfer during this type of business programme?

Hi Thomas,

You can definitely go to Malaysia as the same programme is taught there. It is only 'Business Management' that is taught in Dubai but you might be able to speak to the School about studying your course there.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Carole
Reply 278
Do student have to attend lesson everyday except weekend in the 1st year (foundation)? or there are some free days off?
Reply 279
Original post by aizier
Do student have to attend lesson everyday except weekend in the 1st year (foundation)? or there are some free days off?

It's totally dependant on your course and what options you choose if your degree has options in the first year. Also nobody calls 1st year the foundation year up here in Scotland :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest