The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt 2016 Applicants - Ask us anything!

Hi guys

I know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2016 UCAS applications, so here's a chance for you to ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.
From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away!
Cheers

Heriot-Watt Student Room Team (Keir, Sophie and Carole):dancing2:

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,

My name is Conor I'm a final year business student at Heriot-Watt and here to answer any questions you all have. I'm posting some FAQs that might help you out but feel free to post and ask anything else you want to know!

Applying…
Apart from specific entry requirements listed in the prospectus, are there any other subjects that would be preferred when applying?

Spoiler

Do you accept re-sits? Do you prefer Advanced Highers to re-sits (Scottish students)?

Spoiler

Do you look for relevant work experience? If so, what kind?

Spoiler

Do you prefer school age applicants to apply after 6th year, or are you happy to accept from5th year? (Scotland only)

Spoiler

What is the departments view on deferred entry and gap years?

Spoiler

Once you start...
Ratio of Home / EU / ‘Rest of UK’/ International?

Spoiler

What is the male / female ratio

Spoiler

How many contact hours do students spend in class/ lectures/ tutorials/ lab classes each week?

Spoiler

How is the course assessed? Will students have “final” exams? What form will continuous assessment take?

Spoiler

Are there any course field trips– either home or abroad?

Spoiler

Is there an opportunity to study abroad for a semester/ academic year? If so, which universities does the department have links with?

Spoiler

Graduate employability
What kind of starting salary can the Heriot-Watt graduate expect?

Spoiler

How much help is there with career planning and application processes?

Spoiler

Finance and support...
Are there any other School/Industrial bursaries or scholarships available?

Spoiler

What assistance is available for disabled students?

Spoiler

How does academic mentoring work?

Spoiler

Why choose us?
What are the league table ratings– Guardian, NSS, Times Higher Education?

Spoiler

Study in multiple campuses

Spoiler

Live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi guys

I know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2016 UCAS applications, so here's a chance for you to ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.
From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away!
Cheers

Hi

Do Heriot-Watt send acknowledgements for applications? If so, how long after applications would an acknowledgement be expected? I applied 2 weeks ago and haven't heard a dicky bird

Thanks
Original post by Iris2811
Hi

Do Heriot-Watt send acknowledgements for applications? If so, how long after applications would an acknowledgement be expected? I applied 2 weeks ago and haven't heard a dicky bird

Thanks

Hi Iris2811,

We do send acknowledgements, sorry to hear you haven't received yours yet. I am only guessing but it might be a few gremlins in our system. :facepalm:

Can you send me your details in a private message and I can check for you?

Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Hello,
I'm live in England and applied for the MEng computing and electronics degree at Heriot-watt, I got an e-mail recently about a username and password but that was it.....I was wondering how long it takes for offers to be given because I'm not really sure how it works. It stated that if I'm invited l would require an interview. Does this mean that I would need to go to the Edinburgh campus to do so?
Hi I receive a conditional offer for 1st year and a subsidiary offer for 2nd-year Psychology. What does it mean? Also, I have received the email but not the UCAS acknowledgement, should I be concerned?
Im an international student, I would like to know if the university would help me apply for jobs.
Original post by Flavier(^o^)
Hello,
I'm live in England and applied for the MEng computing and electronics degree at Heriot-watt, I got an e-mail recently about a username and password but that was it.....I was wondering how long it takes for offers to be given because I'm not really sure how it works. It stated that if I'm invited l would require an interview. Does this mean that I would need to go to the Edinburgh campus to do so?

Hi Flavier(^o^),

Apologies for my delayed response:colondollar:, I have been down to Manchester meeting some potential students.

Your username and password is just for your VIP portal. It is a webpage that has specific information for you on there. If you have the time you should log in and have a look. In terms of offers, each subject area is slightly different, we will be considering all applications now so sit tight and hopefully you will hear from us soon.

Re. interviews, the department don't tend to interview students however you will have the opportunity to come up and see the campus and our labs etc. In addition to this we also run regional events all across the UK so you might be able to come and visit us in one of the following cities:
Birmingham
Carlisle
Manchester
Leeds
Newcastle
Belfast
Derry
Bristol
London
Glasgow
Dundee

Hope this has helped, if you have any more questions please just ask and I promise I will be quicker in my response :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by samihauge1
Hi I receive a conditional offer for 1st year and a subsidiary offer for 2nd-year Psychology. What does it mean? Also, I have received the email but not the UCAS acknowledgement, should I be concerned?
Im an international student, I would like to know if the university would help me apply for jobs.

Hi samihauge1,

Again apologies about my delay in getting back to you :colondollar:.

This means that you have been made an offer for first year but if you want to start at an advanced entry point (second year) you can do if you get good enough grades. It might be worthwhile you phoning the department to talk through your options. For UCAS, you should check on UCAS track, if it still says on there you haven't got an offer then something has went wrong, if this is the case let me know your details through a private message and I will check what is going on.

With regards to helping you find a job, if you are going to be on a tier 4 visa you will be limited to 20 hours per week whilst your studying. We do have a careers advisory team who will support students to find both part time work whilst they are studying and help you with your career choices when you graduate.

Hope this has helped, feel free to ask anything else if you have more queries.

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 8
Hi guys

Cheers

Hello I am wondering if I study either economics and business management or economics with marketing, are students able to take a placement year? Thank you
Reply 9
Hi guys

Cheers

Does Heriot-Watt conducts interviews for Maths applicants?
Original post by izzykate1
Hello I am wondering if I study either economics and business management or economics with marketing, are students able to take a placement year? Thank you

Hi izzykate1 For our International Business Management degree, 3rd year is spent studying abroad. Some of our other Business Management degrees also include the opportunity for inter-campus transfer (i.e. you can spend a semester or a year studying at either our Dubai campus or our Malaysia campus). Students currently on inter-campus transfer are busy blogging - you can read about their experiences in their Dubai blog and the Malaysia blog.

Whilst our Economics degrees don't have an integrated study abroad year, it may still be possible to study abroad an approved institution during your 3rd year.

If you've any more questions, drop us an email on [email protected] or ask us on our School of Management and Languages 2016 thread here on TSR.

Thanks
SML Admissions Team
Hi guys

Cheers

Hi,

Just a quick question - I've applied for BSc Computer Science

I'm currently looking for places to rent and saw prices are a lot lower around Wester Hailes - guessing there is a reason for this? Has anyone rented a place in this area or currently living there? What do you think of the neighborhood ? Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks
Hi, do you know if the Business Management course have started to send out offers yet?
Hi Mannyscot,

Good luck with your application! :thumbsup:

Our Accommodation Office recommend that the best places to stay are on the west of the city, in areas such as Haymarket, Dalry, Gorgie, Chesser, Slateford, Currie, Juniper Green and Balerno. I think that the majority of our students live in these areas and jump on the 25 bus to the campus! Wester Hails isn't mentioned but hopefully there's a student living in that area on here who can tell you what it's like.

There's information about Private rented accommodation on our website including what you can expect to pay and ways to find a flatmate. If you have any other queries our Accommodation Office ([email protected]) will be happy to advise you!

Hope that helps!

Carole :smile:

Original post by mannyscot
Hi,

Just a quick question - I've applied for BSc Computer Science

I'm currently looking for places to rent and saw prices are a lot lower around Wester Hailes - guessing there is a reason for this? Has anyone rented a place in this area or currently living there? What do you think of the neighborhood ? Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks
Hi oliverspence18,

I've just checked with the School of Management and Languages and they haven't started making Undergraduate offers yet. :nah:

Hope this helps!

Original post by oliverspence18
Hi, do you know if the Business Management course have started to send out offers yet?
Hey, I was just wondering if/when offers would be sent out for Chemical Engineering?

Thanks
Hi oliverspence18,

I've just checked with the School of Management and Languages and they haven't started making Undergraduate offers yet. :nah:

Hope this helps!

thank you Carol!
Hi, i just got a conditional offer to study MEng Mechanical engineering and unfortunately haven't been able to actually visit the uni as i live in the midlands. I was just wondering if you could describe the labs i would use, as in the facilities they offer and the general quality of them. Thanks in advance.
Original post by arch0wnz
Hey, I was just wondering if/when offers would be sent out for Chemical Engineering?

Thanks

Hi arch0wnz,

The Chem Eng admissions tutor is considering all applicants as we speak. As it is our most popular course for applications at UG level I think the department might wait till the 15th of January deadline so they can give everyone a fair chance.

Hang tight and we will get back to you.

Good luck,
Keir :smile:
Original post by Oliver.Grubb
Hi, i just got a conditional offer to study MEng Mechanical engineering and unfortunately haven't been able to actually visit the uni as i live in the midlands. I was just wondering if you could describe the labs i would use, as in the facilities they offer and the general quality of them. Thanks in advance.

Hi Oliver.Grubb,

The mech eng lab is a huge workshop with lots of different machines in it. We have a fully sponsored metrology laboratory sponsored by Renishaw, full sized industry standard numeric CNC (computer numerical control) and lots, lots more. Can I say at this point this means nothing to me as I studied Biology but a colleague in my office has told me about them and assures me they are top quality facilities. Our students are blessed with a hands on learning approach here at HW and we take pride in our vocational teaching ethic.

With regards on getting up for a visit, we hold applicants visit days in spring and will be contacting you about these just after the Christmas break. We also have regional Applicants Information Evenings all across the UK the closest to you would be Birmingham or Manchester and again we will contact you about this soon.

Hope this has helped and I hope we can welcome you on campus soon.
If you want any more info about HW just give me a shout. (I might have to refer you to my colleague for any technical questions:facepalm:)

Cheers,
Keir

Quick Reply

Latest