The Student Room Group

Query about predicted grades.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fraggle77
Thank you for the clarification.
I'm embarrassingly unclear on the scores/points etc, i'm only sure of his actual grades.
I have his statement of results with 'Grade 1, Mark equiv & points' ... would it be on there?

Is that on his AS-level results sheet? Mark Equiv is the one. Depending on the AS subject it will usually be marked out of 200 or 300.

So a Mark Equivalent of 275 (out of 300) gives a UMS of 91.67% which would usually lead to an A* prediction.
Reply 21
Original post by jneill
Is that on his AS-level results sheet? Mark Equiv is the one. Depending on the AS subject it will usually be marked out of 200 or 300.

So a Mark Equivalent of 275 (out of 300) gives a UMS of 91.67% which would usually lead to an A* prediction.

Ok, so on his sheet it has:

Gov and politics A 176 (points 135)
English lit B 152 - remarked at A 162 (points - before remark 120)
History A 160 (points 135)

But this is just his exams and doesn't include coursework from what I can see.

I realise i'm being a pain ... thank you for indulging me.
Reply 22
Ok, so on his sheet it has:

Gov and politics A 176 (points 135)
English lit B 152 - remarked at A 162 (points - before remark 120)
History A 160 (points 135)

But this is just his exams and doesn't include coursework from what I can see.

I realise i'm being a pain ... thank you for indulging me.

Which exam board? I'd expect to have coursework there too...

Assuming the Marks inc Coursework:

Gov & Politics : 176/200 = 88% (A)
Eng Lit : 152 / 200 = 76% (B)
History : 160 /200 = 80% (A)

The Gov&Pol is nearly an A* (needs to be 90) but it will depend on how he's doing in Y13 if they would give an A* prediction.

The Eng Lit is only just under the A boundary so the school *might* give an A prediction if he's doing well in Y13.

The History is only just an A so an A prediction would be fair.
Reply 23
Original post by jneill
Which exam board? I'd expect to have coursework there too...

Assuming the Marks inc Coursework:

Gov & Politics : 176/200 = 88% (A)
Eng Lit : 152 / 200 = 76% (B)
History : 160 /200 = 80% (A)

The Gov&Pol is nearly an A* (needs to be 90) but it will depend on how he's doing in Y13 if they would give an A* prediction.

The Eng Lit is only just under the A boundary so the school *might* give an A prediction if he's doing well in Y13.

The History is only just an A so an A prediction would be fair.

That sounds like a fair assumption.
The Eng lit was remarked and went up 10 marks (which was a school record haha). - to an A with 162.

But basically based on past experience he's looking at anything from A* A A - A A B. (ish).
But certainly not BBB.

Honestly .. thank you so much, you have been a real help. :-)

Oh and the boards are:
G & P Edexl/gc
Eng & His OCR
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
That sounds like a fair assumption.
The Eng lit was remarked and went up 10 marks (which was a school record haha). - to an A with 162.

But basically based on past experience he's looking at anything from A* A A - A A B. (ish).
But certainly not BBB.

Honestly .. thank you so much, you have been a real help. :-)

Oh and the boards are:
G & P Edexl/gc
Eng & His OCR

Yep BBB was the (rubbish) target set last year at the start of Y12 based on s stupid computer program. I expect he will get an AAA or *maybe* A*AA prediction. :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by jneill
Yep BBB was the (rubbish) target set last year at the start of Y12 based on s stupid computer program. I expect he will get an AAA or *maybe* A*AA prediction. :smile:

I hope so.
And more so, I hope he achieves his potential and gets to his preferred uni :-)
Reply 26
I hope so.
And more so, I hope he achieves his potential and gets to his preferred uni :-)

PRSOM!
Well, without your anxieties over your son, I would not have picked up that my son had put in codes for the two of the wrong courses.... because he couldn't find the right ones (took me 3 clicks)

The PS was another matter - whatever its deficiencies it is authentically his work and I hope an admissions tutor would recognise that, so I gave it my blessing.
Reply 28
Original post by dirtmother
Well, without your anxieties over your son, I would not have picked up that my son had put in codes for the two of the wrong courses.... because he couldn't find the right ones (took me 3 clicks)

The PS was another matter - whatever its deficiencies it is authentically his work and I hope an admissions tutor would recognise that, so I gave it my blessing.

Yes don't even get me started on PS!
My son had asked so many tutors and teachers for their opinion he muddled himself into a right state!
I told him to go back to basics as they want it written by him not a 40 year old teacher with no political passion hahaaa.

I'm pleased my anxiety has/is helping others to address application issues and to notice things before it's too late. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Sometimes it's difficult being a hands off mum when you're usually a hands on mum, my son hasn't even started his PS yet, that's going to open a whole new can of worms :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Sometimes it's difficult being a hands off mum when you're usually a hands on mum, my son hasn't even started his PS yet, that's going to open a whole new can of worms :biggrin:

Aint that the truth! :laugh:

I never thought of myself as a worrier, or controlling.
It appears I was delusional :colondollar:
Aint that the truth! :laugh:

I never thought of myself as a worrier, or controlling.
It appears I was delusional :colondollar:

Haha, me too :colondollar:
Reply 32
Hi all

I just wanted to give you an update on our situation, and to thank you for your help, reassurance and advice on this worry of mine.

After weeks of discussion and negotiation with his referees and subject teachers, he finally had them confirm his predictions on UCAS as AAA :smile:

(now he's just to achieve those grades!! *the hardest bit* :wink: )

- relieved mum (for now at least)
Reply 33
Hi all

I just wanted to give you an update on our situation, and to thank you for your help, reassurance and advice on this worry of mine.

After weeks of discussion and negotiation with his referees and subject teachers, he finally had them confirm his predictions on UCAS as AAA :smile:

(now he's just to achieve those grades!! *the hardest bit* :wink: )

- relieved mum (for now at least)

That's great! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending