The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by immiihammond
To what extent has the conservative party abandoned thatcherism?

Can anyone please give me some pointers on how i should write and word this essay and any key points to potentially get me a top grade. Its out of 25 marks.

Start by defining Thatcherism.
Original post by Gears265
The current party are centre and an argument can be made that they are centre left. The Tories today are basically Blairites.

No, it can not. They are very right wing. They've undertaken huge austerity measures, shackled unions and cut tax credits.
Blair was all about huge public sector investment, the Tories are about cuts.

They are not centrist in the slightest.
Original post by Bornblue
No, it can not. They are very right wing. They've undertaken huge austerity measures, shackled unions and cut tax credits.
Blair was all about huge public sector investment, the Tories are about cuts.

They are not centrist in the slightest.

They are very centrist. A real right wing party is anti-EU. Last time I checked Cameron and Osbourne were up the *** of the EU. The EU is as left as you can get
They are very centrist. A real right wing party is anti-EU. Last time I checked Cameron and Osbourne were up the *** of the EU. The EU is as left as you can get

I'm very left and I want out the EU.
The TU Bill is a good example to cite of a recent thatcherite move from the government:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/trade-union-bill-passes-second-reading-in-commons-by-317-votes-to-284-10501088.html
Original post by Bornblue
I'm very left and I want out the EU.

Left wingers only want out because it is not left wing enough. I want out because it is left wing altogether
Left wingers only want out because it is not left wing enough. I want out because it is left wing altogether

Hahaha pathetic.
Original post by Rakas21
Not much however you could mention the minimum wage, not overturning the nationalisation of Network Rail, not abolishing tax credits.

Thatcher started tax credits
Reply 28
thatcher was our greatest PM.
fact
Reply 29
A lot of the criticisms of Thatcherism were not actually policy-based, but the haste and lack of sensitivity surrounding the changes. Moving towards a service-based economy was not so much the objection, but that it was pushed through over a short period - which can be explained by previously slow progress.

In many ways, Thatcherism isn't needed now. The trade unions do not have the power to be as militant, there aren't any great problems with far-left local authorities and our economy has been changed. That's not so much moving away from Thatcherism as living in a post-Thatcher environment. That's the risk of naming an ideology after someone - the same political issues do not apply in different times (nor was Maggie even particularly consistent in how she approached them in her own premiership).

David Cameron's style of government is quite different. Talking about a Big Society and the importance of civic structures to provide support under a smaller state, giving his ministers a wider degree of autonomy to pursue their own projects and so on.

Original post by Rakas21
Not much however you could mention the minimum wage, not overturning the nationalisation of Network Rail, not abolishing tax credits.

There's a few points on that. Of course, Railtrack - as NR predecessor - was only privatised after Maggie had gone.

Equally tax credits are a not-all-that-dissimilar replacement of Family Credit, which was brought in in 1986, which replaced the (Ted Heath originated) Family Income Supplement, which was not intended to be permanent.
(edited 8 years ago)
Your rationale for supporting the Conservatives is innocent but too simplistic. It is like me saying I like the Nazis because they made Germany strong and stable - sounds nice, but the reality is much more complex and darker than such simple reasoning.

As such, your friend could be justified in socially boycotting you.

Latest

Trending

Trending