The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Do Durham drop their grades..?

Hey

Im hoping to study History at University for 2016 entry-- (unsure of a gap year yet)-- and i really like the look of Durham:smile:

For AS Level i did English Literature (C) Economics (C) Government and Politics (A) and History (A)

I get they aren't pefect but i managed 200/200 on the History papers, and I've been targeted A*A*A for A2, dropping Economics.

The chances are I won't get A*A*A, so if i get, for example, A*A*B or A*AB. Are Durham likely to still accept me? even if they offer me A*AA? (which are the standard entry requirement for History.)

So do Durham still accept people if they don't quite reach the offer..?

Reply 1
Hello!

First year at Durham, I would give the tentative response that Durham have and do drop their grades SOMETIMES for students before, but I would honestly not depend on it! It entirely depends on how the rest of the prospective students did, whether many missed a grade or not, and additionally the popularity of the course.

In my experience, I've found examples with varying results. Personally, when I received my A2s two years ago, I received AAAA for a A*AA course in Engineering, and I was not given a near miss offer despite being 2 UMS off. The admissions tutor told me that competition for the year was tight and they did not offer any near miss offers for the course that year. Similarly, my friend achieved A*A*B for an A*AA course, and did not get in either. However, I did see some instances of others getting near misses on the Offer Holder Page! It all depends on the course.

Since History is such a popular and highly - sought course, so please do not rely on them dropping a grade for you, because there are relatively high odds they may not and you will have a busy August! (And not in a fun way...) I would concentrate on achieving those fantastic predicted grades, as you're able to reach those and get straight in :smile: Best of luck this year with work and exams, all work will pay off :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest