The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex Applicants 2016

Hi! Just received an offer for History and Politics and thought we could all talk here :smile:

Course: Modern History and Politics
AS grades: AABC
A2 predictions: A*A*A (+A* in EPQ)
Other unis: Oxford, LSE, York, QMUL
Offer?: Yes, BBB :h:

Anybody else received offers/applied yet? :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations on recieving your offer :h:! I'm a current student at the University of Essex (3rd year Biomedical Science), so if you have any general questions please let me know and I'll be happy to answer!
^Shannon
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Hi!

I'm applying to study BSc Computer Science with industrial year at the University of Essex for 2016 entry!

:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by shannon.rose
Congratulations on recieving your offer :h:! I'm a current student at the University of Essex (3rd year Biomedical Science), so if you have any general questions please let me know and I'll be happy to answer!
^Shannon

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Hi!

I'm applying to study BSc Computer Science with industrial year at the University of Essex for 2016 entry!

:smile:

Hello!

Congratulations for your choice! I am a current Essex student - I am doing my masters now but I've spend 3 years here as I have finished my law degree at Essex as well! Don't hesitate to ask my anything, should you need any help or advice regarding Essex!

^Andriana
Original post by andriana16
Hello!

Congratulations for your choice! I am a current Essex student - I am doing my masters now but I've spend 3 years here as I have finished my law degree at Essex as well! Don't hesitate to ask my anything, should you need any help or advice regarding Essex!

^Andriana

Hi!

I was considering doing the integrated Masters in Computer Science, but chose to go for the BSc instead becasue I might have a better chance of recieveing an offer given my current AS level grades.
Reply 6
Name: Elliot
Course: Sociology
GCSEs: A*AABBBBBBBCCC
AS: ABC
A2 subjects: Sociology, English Language, Business Studies
A2 (predictions or achieved): AAC
Hi!

I was considering doing the integrated Masters in Computer Science, but chose to go for the BSc instead becasue I might have a better chance of recieveing an offer given my current AS level grades.

It might be a good idea to email/call the admissions team for this course and inquire. However if your predicted grades don't meet the requirement they may send you a rejection.

However when it comes to results day, if you don't meet the offer, but you do meet the offer for the non-integrated course then they will most likely offer you this as an alternative offer anyway.

Hope this helps :smile:
Shannon
Hi!

Hello!
Excellent choice. Essex is popular for its Computer Science studies. I have three friends who have done the BSc Computer Science and one of them found a job straightaway in London. The other two stayed here for a masters :smile:
Have you seen the entry requirements for your degree?

^Andriana
Original post by andriana16
Hello!
Excellent choice. Essex is popular for its Computer Science studies. I have three friends who have done the BSc Computer Science and one of them found a job straightaway in London. The other two stayed here for a masters :smile:
Have you seen the entry requirements for your degree?

^Andriana

Yes, I have :smile:

ABB for the Int. Masters

BBB for the BSc.

Currently got ACDE in AS levels (A in EPQ) and now predicted BC in my 2 remaining A levels, plus retaking the AS I got an E in, and another AS level which I picked up too. Thought I would go for the BSc course as per the advice given to me by the admissions department I saw at the uni of essex open day.

EDIT: Got remark back for one of my grades, got marked up to a C .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Yes, I have :smile:

ABB for the Int. Masters

BBB for the BSc.

Currently got ADDE in AS levels (A in EPQ) and now predicted BC in my 2 remaining A levels, plus retaking the AS I got an E in, and another AS level which I picked up too. Thought I would go for the BSc course as per the advice given to me by the admissions department I saw at the uni of essex open day.

Finally I've found someone in the same situation as me! I'm carrying on 2 a2, resitting and AS and picking up an AS too. I'm applying for PPE though. Have you asked admissions if they'd consider you? I did and they said I'd have to get BBbb.

Does anyone know if this is common? Do many people in this situation get offers?
Original post by JudahS
Finally I've found someone in the same situation as me! I'm carrying on 2 a2, resitting and AS and picking up an AS too. I'm applying for PPE though. Have you asked admissions if they'd consider you? I did and they said I'd have to get BBbb.

Does anyone know if this is common? Do many people in this situation get offers?

What is PPE?

Most, if not all BA/BSc offers for University of Essex are ABB - BBB. Most likely the both of us will recieve the latter offer though. I went to the Uni of Essex open day, and I spoke to admissions about applying, and they recommended the straght up BSc course over the foundation course with my given AS grades. So basically they will consider me for the course.

Turns out you have to really screw up quite bad in the exams to be put on the foundation year with Uni of Essex.

Also, they consider any two AS levels to be considered one full A level. They also count the EPQ as an AS level too, which is good because I got an A in it. Hence, if I got an A in one of my AS subjects then it will be counted as an A at A level :smile:.

Most likely, they will give me a similar offer to yours.

Best of luck with applications! :smile:
Reply 12
What is PPE?

Most, if not all BA/BSc offers for University of Essex are ABB - BBB. Most likely the both of us will recieve the latter offer though. I went to the Uni of Essex open day, and I spoke to admissions about applying, and they recommended the straght up BSc course over the foundation course with my given AS grades. So basically they will consider me for the course.

Turns out you have to really screw up quite bad in the exams to be put on the foundation year with Uni of Essex.

Also, they consider any two AS levels to be considered one full A level. They also count the EPQ as an AS level too, which is good because I got an A in it. Hence, if I got an A in one of my AS subjects then it will be counted as an A at A level :smile:.

Most likely, they will give me a similar offer to yours.

Best of luck with applications! :smile:

PPE is philosophy, Politics and Economics.

I had no idea they counted two separate AS as one A level, I thought they were just considering me on an individual basis. Very reassuring.

Where else are you applying that actually accept cases like ours? I'm also applying to Goldsmiths, Oxford Brookes and Winchester.
Just applied for University of Essex today.

Course: Law
AS grades: AAAE (I did great in my essay subjects but I just did not do well in my only science.)
A2 predictions: A*AA
Other unis: LSE, Surrey, Newcastle, East Anglia
Offer?: Not yet, I will update if I receive one.

I'm most likely going to put it as my insurance as the entry requirements for my course are achievable.
Original post by laura.louu
Just applied for University of Essex today.

Course: Law
AS grades: AAAE (I did great in my essay subjects but I just did not do well in my only science.)
A2 predictions: A*AA
Other unis: LSE, Surrey, Newcastle, East Anglia
Offer?: Not yet, I will update if I receive one.

I'm most likely going to put it as my insurance as the entry requirements for my course are achievable.

Hi!
I'm in my final year at the University of Essex and would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have! :smile:
^Sharmila
Reply 15
Hi, I got an offer to study Law for BBB :biggrin:
BUT I got a letter today inviting me for a visit day and an interview so I'm kinda confused. I have no problem with doing an interview, I just thought that they had already offered me a place? It defiantly says on UCAS Track that I have a place subject to conditions of achieving BBB. Does this mean that they can take my offer away? Has this happened to anyone else? Any help/info/advice would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Sharmila_Student
Hi!
I'm in my final year at the University of Essex and would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have! :smile:
^Sharmila

Hi, I got an offer to study Law for BBB
BUT I got a letter today inviting me for a visit day and an interview so I'm kinda confused. I have no problem with doing an interview, I just thought that they had already offered me a place? It defiantly says on UCAS Track that I have a place subject to conditions of achieving BBB. Does this mean that they can take my offer away? Has this happened to anyone else? Any help/info/advice would be appreciated
Your offer will still stand- I'm sure they just want to get to know you. You will likely have a tour of campus and meet the department and it'll be more like a personalised open day - I'm in my third year at Essex but I'm actually studying abroad right now but I was in the same boat for Biochemistry where I had an offer but had to have an interview as well :smile:
waiting for essex to reply...sent it off on 3rd nov...taking their time...how long does it take?
Reply 19
Original post by Mollymod
Your offer will still stand- I'm sure they just want to get to know you. You will likely have a tour of campus and meet the department and it'll be more like a personalised open day - I'm in my third year at Essex but I'm actually studying abroad right now but I was in the same boat for Biochemistry where I had an offer but had to have an interview as well :smile:

ah ok thank you! Was getting worried that they would be able to take my offer away aha :smile: another question. For the interview/ visit day, I might not be able to go as I live on the isle of wight so it looks like I won't be able to get there, will this effect mu application? they defiantly cant take mu offer away, even if I cant make interview? How have you found Essex? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending