The Student Room Group

Oh Dear God

Hi, i desperately need some advice,

I have a B english B psychology and C spanish. My ideal choice for uni would be english and spanish but i simply dont have the grades to get into any unis that I want to go to. I have been rejected by all but one uni which i chose because i thought id get in somewhere else, and now am hoping to apply through extra, but, it seems that unis aren't very lenient with grades in Extra. Would it be better to wait til clearing in the hopes there will be an eng/span course at a uni I want to go to, or choose a different course which I am not as passionate about, but where I am more likely to be accepted now through Extra. Also, I have my eye on 2 similar courses at birmingham, but Im worried that if i apply for one and get rejected then apply for thE other they'll just think I'm just tryingto get into the uni........ARgh This is all just so stressful !please please help me if you can!!!Xxxxxxxx:confused: :confused: :s-smilie: :eek:
You might as well try Extra if you're thinking of clearing. Extra is very similar to clearing, except clearing takes account of people who have and haven't met their offers. Universities may be slightly lenient in Extra than normal because they want to fill spaces now; they can assess applications more thoroughly in Extra as oppose to clearing. If Extra doesn't work, you can always try clearing. I personally don't think universities would mind if you apply for two of their courses. What are the general requirements for the course(s) you want to do?
Reply 2
well, for english and spanish its mostly bbb, if I go through extra for a course I dont love, can I accept it then wait til clearing and see if a course I want is offered then ., or do u have to reject every offer if you want to go through clearing ? also, i was thinking maybe i shoudl apply for american studs and spanish as i am more likely to be accepted on thsi course . woudl it be better to choose second choice course at a good university or the course you want at a uni with a crap reputation??
Well if you have BBC and the requirement is BBB, then I'd go for it.

You can accept through Extra and then reject it on result day, however you have to ask the university concerned to release you. They don't have to, but if you're not happy with the choice, I don't think they'd force you. Clearing is for students with no offers.

With regard to reputation Vs course, I really don't know. It depends on the individual I guess.
BBC isn't that far off BBB, although having a C in Spanish probably doesn't help. You should definitely try Extra because the unis might be willing to drop their offers by a grade and it's not worth accepting the one offer you got originally if you don't really want to go there. If you don't get any offers you want through Extra (and I don't see the harm in applying to Birmingham twice) you can try Clearing. Course vs uni is a tough one. Personally I'd say the course is more important because even if the uni isn't as good academically, you'll still enjoy your degree, whereas you might not if you go to a better uni but do a degree you won't enjoy as much. I guess it depends what modules are offered in each of the degrees and how different they are.
Reply 5
Don't forget that Clearing could well have people with AAB/ABB looking to get onto similar courses. Don't give up on Extra, but I'd be very wary of pinning your hope on Clearing.

Latest

Trending

Trending