The Student Room Group

Official OCR A2 G484 June 2016 [Module 1] [90UMS]

No thread so I making this to help ourselves.

Good luck all I hope you all get the grades you want and deserve.

Scroll to see replies

In the syllabus what does this mean: (b) apply the principle of conservation of momentum to solve problems when bodies interact in one dimension;
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
In the syllabus what does this mean: (b) apply the principle of conservation ofmomentum to solve problems when bodiesinteract in one dimension;

It means using the principle of momentum in "straight line" collections, and not in collisions at angle.
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
It means using the principle of momentum in "straight line" collections, and not in collisions at angle.

I see, I think I have to do that in M4.

Thank you for your reply.

Are you doing G484 this year.
I see, I think I have to do that in M4.

Thank you for your reply.

Are you doing G484 this year.

No worries! I did AQA A2 Physics last year.

Good luck!
No worries! I did AQA A2 Physics last year.

Good luck!

Thank you. Yes you too!
Define Specific Heat Capacity June 2012 Q4:

I said:

The amount of energy required to raise the tempeature of 1kg of a substance by 1K.

Would this be right

Or should I define using the formula? c=E*M*theta

I said:

The amount of energy required to raise the tempeature of 1kg of a substance by 1K.

Would this be right

Your definition is correct but it would be better to have a look at sample questions in the past papers to see if it's required to specify any conditions during the measurement of the specific heat capacity. For example, without change of state of the substance, because you might increase the temperature of 1kg a substance at its melting/boiling point and so to increase its temperature by 1K you would need to supply a extra amount of energy.

Also, the definition essentially comes from the formula:
c=E/(m*change in temperature)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8

I said:

Would this be right

Definitely look at mark schemes as OCR can be very picky. I think when I was doing G485 last year there would be some papers where different keywords were required on different years for the same question, so I ended up making my own definitions list based purely on the mark schemes.
Original post by Alex621
Definitely look at mark schemes as OCR can be very picky. I think when I was doing G485 last year there would be some papers where different keywords were required on different years for the same question, so I ended up making my own definitions list based purely on the mark schemes.

I see thanks, will do.

So base definitions on most recent exam papers then.

The g484 last year was tricky I heard?
Your definition is correct but it would be better to have a look at sample questions in the past papers to see if it's required to specify any conditions during the measurement of the specific heat capacity. For example, without change of state of the substance, because you might increase the temperature of 1kg a substance at its melting/boiling point and so to increase its temperature by 1K you would need to supply a extra amount of energy.

Also, the definition essentially comes from the formula:
c=E/(m*change in temperature)

ocr havent asked that, it was an old question that I was basing my answeer for.

Thanks for the reply.
I see thanks, will do.

So base definitions on most recent exam papers then.

The g484 last year was tricky I heard?

I would agree, I found g485 much easier than 484. The first question put me into a bit of a panic then I lost quite a few marks from rushing and not reading the questions properly :frown: There was also a definition question in one of the papers which specifically asked you not to use the formula, which completely threw me as I'd only ever learned how to define it using the formula :lol:
Original post by Alex621
I would agree, I found g485 much easier than 484. The first question put me into a bit of a panic then I lost quite a few marks from rushing and not reading the questions properly :frown: There was also a definition question in one of the papers which specifically asked you not to use the formula, which completely threw me as I'd only ever learned how to define it using the formula :lol:

That newtons 3rd law question for the 1sr question was never asked before. What dwfinition are you talkig about?

The define an electric field caused me to panic, since every year before that they asked to define electric field stewngth.

I have never defined using the formula :P
That newtons 3rd law question for the 1sr question was never asked before. What dwfinition are you talkig about?

The define an electric field caused me to panic, since every year before that they asked to define electric field stewngth.

I have never defined using the formula :P

Hmm I'm not sure I can't really remember the questions... It might have been something to do with gravitational field strength, or I might have just remembered wrongly and it had nothing to do with not using a formula :s-smilie:
Just done G484 Jan 2010:

58/60.

Dropped marks on specific heat capacity diagram and velocity graph.
Just done G484 Jan 2010:

58/60.

Dropped marks on specific heat capacity diagram and velocity graph.

I did the 2010 papers for my mock prep, safe to say they are piss easy compared to 2014 and 2015 lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MahuduElec
I did the 2010 papers for my mock prep, safe to say they are piss easy compared to 2014 and 2015 lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ridiculously easy.

Have you done June 2015 yet? There was a tricky graphy question on there :colondollar:
ridiculously easy.

Have you done June 2015 yet? There was a tricky graphy question on there :colondollar:

Yh just did it this week for my mock. Went horribly for me personally, but i was prepping for f maths mock more so didn't put my 100% into it. Hoping for an a* still, but I'd be content with an A for now. How about you?
Original post by MahuduElec
Yh just did it this week for my mock. Went horribly for me personally, but i was prepping for f maths mock more so didn't put my 100% into it. Hoping for an a* still, but I'd be content with an A for now. How about you?

Well the G484 may be easier than last year, idk.

Straightforward papers from OCR for a change would be nice :wink:
Well the G484 may be easier than last year, idk.

Straightforward papers from OCR for a change would be nice :wink:

Haha I doubt they will, its the last year, maybe 2nd last year of the old spec papers (our spec). Expect ridiculous questions that test your exam ability more than they test your knowledge of physics..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending