The Student Room Group

Liberal lefty outsiders win Canadian election

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Erm, they are not "liberal lefty", they are liberal centre ground.

They want to reduce income tax for those earning less than 90,000 CAN$, and reduce national insurance contributions across the board. Hardly the high tax party of the left. The Canadian equivalent of the leftish Labour party is New Democratic Party

And they are not outsiders at all. They are the natural party of government in Canada, having governed for almost seven decades in the 20th century, including most recently from 1993 to 2004

Somebody doesn't have a clue about Canadian politics.
A liberal who likes and welcomes Islam. It's utterly bizarre that people don't seem to notice the inherent hypocrisy there.

This is a man who refused to call honour killings barbaric, who supports the niqab and who views himself as lucky to be from an area in Canada with a high number of Muslims.

Canada won't stay a liberal, tolerant place for long with reprehensible people like that leading the country.
@Rat_Bag

Well they were third in the poles up to election. All commentators said they could not win.

"
But a bold pledge to run a budget deficit and boost spending to spur the economy, as well as a positive message and his gregarious nature, helped the Liberals engineer a turnaround." -

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/10/liberal-party-takes-early-lead-canadian-elections-151020012408766.html

Whilst I agree that is hardly radical it's what dunder heads (which is like everyone now) refer to as left wing. That sounds an awful lot like Corbyn's labour. But then labour are centre-left, like these Canadian liberals. not radical, just sensible. The important bit is that this harmful obsession with austerity is slowly being challenged. Whether that is a right wing, centre or left wing position is not important. So Corbyn fans, take heart in this victory. They were outsiders in the sense that labour are now considered outsiders here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Well they were third in the poles up to election. All commentators said they could not win.

The Liberal Party was tipped to win from September. In fact commentators and polls were pretty spot on in the run up, unlike the general election here in May.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
"
But a bold pledge to run a budget deficit and boost spending to spur the economy, as well as a positive message and his gregarious nature, helped the Liberals engineer a turnaround." - Whilst I agree that is hardly radical it's what dunder heads (which is like everyone now) refer to as left wing. That sounds an awful lot like Corbyn's labour. But then labour are centre-left, like these Canadian liberals. not radical, just sensible.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/10/liberal-party-takes-early-lead-canadian-elections-151020012408766.html

The pledge the run a deficit is for 3 years only, and it to make capital investment in national infrastructure (i.e not sink it into non-growth sectors like health, social care, welfare and pensions).

And it was the Liberal Party which eliminated the budget deficit in the latter part of the 20th century (leading to balanced budgets and the ability for Canada to ride out the global recession of 2008 pretty much unscathed)

So hardly Corbyn, who would print money so he can spend on nationalisation projects (if indeed he plans to compensate shareholders in his nationalisation dream).
Reply 5
Original post by tengentoppa

This is a man who refused to call honour killings barbaric

No he said that the words "completely unacceptable" would be more appropriate than "barbaric" when forming the text in an official government document used as part of conducting citizenship ceremonies. He said himself he would use the term barbaric in personal conversation, but that such heated language was unnecessary and probably counter-productive when used in the context in which was up for debate.

who supports the niqab

Supports the right of women to wear the niqab in certain situations
The son of a former Canadian prime minister won the Canadian election......yeah fight da system, mane!!!! Da revolution is here yo!

Show them Americans how we do up in here with this father/son game! Oh wait.....
(edited 8 years ago)
Waaaaay better than Harper.
Reply 8
Original post by KimKallstrom
The son of a former Canadian prime minister won the Canadian election......yeah fight da system, mane!!!! Da revolution is here yo!

Quite agree. This dynastic politics is ridiculous. This is what critics should be raising, not non-issues like language and niqabs or incorrectly labelling people lefty
Great to see some Tories getting beat. Also great to see a centre left party prevail as the global trend since the 2008 crash has been the opposite.

Maybe there's lessons the Labour Party here can learn from them. Lynton Crosby and hai candidates can be defeated and so can right wing parties .

Another interesting thing is that the liberals hardly got any Tory switchers - what gave them the victory was getting 4 million non-voters to vote.
It can be done.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just when I thought that Canada and Australia were one of the saner Western countries they get rid of Abbot and Harper within weeks of each other.

Guess the mental illness of leftism isn't dying quite yet.
Trudeau has also committed to bringing in 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada and investing $250m into refugee processing.

He has committed to pulling Canada out of the new F-35 stealth fighter jet program, a 12-country partnership that includes the US, UK and Australia.

50% cabinet.

Awful. Most likely to due to the fact that Canadian GDP growth is down to 1% though.
A liberal who likes and welcomes Islam. It's utterly bizarre that people don't seem to notice the inherent hypocrisy there.

This is a man who refused to call honour killings barbaric, who supports the niqab and who views himself as lucky to be from an area in Canada with a high number of Muslims.

Canada won't stay a liberal, tolerant place for long with reprehensible people like that leading the country.

Isn't it hypocritical to demand all Muslim Women to remove the Niqab though? I've met many Muslim women who love the Niqab and hate how people tell them they don't have to wear it even though they WANT to wear it. These same people who are the loudest to cry against MOOOSLEEEMS imposing their beliefs do the same to others. IMO I can understand why people feel uncomfortable around the Niqab (obviously not showing face) but really how much does it effect you
Reply 13
Original post by Bornblue
Great to see some Tories getting beat. Also great to see a centre left party prevail as the global trend since the 2008 crash has been the opposite.

I wouldn't say the Liberal party was centre left. The New Democratic Party is centre left, but the Liberal party is very much centre.
Reply 14
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Just when I thought that Canada and Australia were one of the saner Western countries they get rid of Abbot and Harper within weeks of each other.

Guess the mental illness of leftism isn't dying quite yet.

The Liberal Party isn't leftist.
Great news although i would not have them down as leftists. It's a mix brah.

I will be visiting Canada for Christmas :smile: hopefully might move there too.
Original post by Rat_Bag
I wouldn't say the Liberal party was centre left. The New Democratic Party is centre left, but the Liberal party is very much centre.

Calling to run a deficit and increase public spending and investment, as well as higher taxation at the top is lefty by today's standards.

The ndp had actually been dragged to the right under mulcair and arguably were liberals were more left in this election.
Reply 17
Original post by Rakas21
Trudeau has also committed to bringing in 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada and investing $250m into refugee processing.

So he's in favour of immigration. Isn't international trade something the right like, or does it stop when it involve the movement of labour?

Original post by Rakas21
He has committed to pulling Canada out of the new F-35 stealth fighter jet program, a 12-country partnership that includes the US, UK and Australia.

So he's committed to slashing this expenditure. Aren't cuts what the right like?
Original post by KimKallstrom

Show them Americans how we do up in here with this father/son game! Oh wait.....
American is already upping their game, trying to beat their record with father/son/brother. But they shall never beat almighty Britain at this game, not without her proud monarchy.
Original post by Rat_Bag
So he's in favour of immigration. Isn't international trade something the right like, or does it stop when it involve the movement of labour?

So he's committed to slashing this expenditure. Aren't cuts what the right like?

If he wants to allow free movement with the skilled Brits and Americans i'll cheer him. Inviting the the third world is not advantageous though.

Not in defense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending