The Student Room Group

speeding offense

got pulled over doing 60 in a 30. at time of offence just under 2 years driving experience - im 20 years old. this was about 5/6 weeks ago and i havent had anything in the post yet.

I said im sorry and i had no excuse doing it etc.

anyone know how harsh the penalty will be and how long it will take to come?

Police woman said it will be 3-4 points on license and £100 fine. But looking online has revealed some very harsh punishments such as bans etc.
If you haven't recieved anything in the post 30 days after the offence, then its likely you won't.
A while ago my mum was pulled over for going through a red light, which she didn't, they were supposed to send her a fine in the post but still havent , and this if 6 months later.
Also if you don't recieve anything until after 30 days you can contest it in a court. Someone to do with rights.
Reply 2
Over 50 in a 30 is a court summons, Expect 4-6 points 100-2500 fine (its based on income so if your skint it wont be terrible, you can also pay in a lump sum). Possibly a driving ban from 7 days to 2 months max. If they give a ban they might not give points.

Im afraid to say for a Fixed Penalty Notice they have 14 days (not 30) not including postage to get the ticket to you. However for a court summons which is what you will be getting they have 6 months.

You seem to have the right attitude though. Dont bullsh*t the court just be honest as it was most likely a stupid moment of madness. Make them know that you know you f*cked up. If your not an arseh*le they tend to go easy on folks if its a first offense.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CAElite

Original post by iElvendork

Thanks

Its now been about 7 months since it happened and i havent had anything. do you think im in the clear?
Original post by BONG-
Thanks

Its now been about 7 months since it happened and i havent had anything. do you think im in the clear?

You can find out if you have any driving penalties online. I checked recently because I'm paranoid.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Btw if you past your test under 2 years ago you're still under the probation period, which means 6 points and you lose your licence, have to retake your test. It makes me so paranoid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BONG-
Thanks

yes you would have heard long since ! you had a lucky escape :borat:
Reply 6
That speed will be an automatic court summons so you wouldn't expect to hear anything for a good few months.

They've 6 months from the offence to lay information with the court and the summons may take a few weeks more further.

I'd say after about 9 months you can fully relax
Reply 7
Original post by BONG-
Thanks

Lucky. Id say your in the clear!

I am in the same boat now myself. My cousin was caught by a camera driving my car uninsured (and speeding) ~3 months ago due to a stupid date mix up, Im just waiting for our respective IN10 and IN14 to drop. Although I think we might have got away with it. He already got his SP30 through from the camera for 39 in a 30, the insurance had expired & the car was SORN 2 days prior to him getting caught in it but we havnt had any mail through regarding that.
Original post by CAElite
Lucky. Id say your in the clear!

I am in the same boat now myself. My cousin was caught by a camera driving my car uninsured (and speeding) ~3 months ago due to a stupid date mix up, Im just waiting for our respective IN10 and IN14 to drop. Although I think we might have got away with it. He already got his SP30 through from the camera for 39 in a 30, the insurance had expired & the car was SORN 2 days prior to him getting caught in it but we havnt had any mail through regarding that.

Careful mate you can get absolutely shafted for letting someone drive your car uninsured... And if you said you didn't give them permission to drive then they'll get done for twoc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by shaymarriott
Careful mate you can get absolutely shafted for letting someone drive your car uninsured... And if you said you didn't give them permission to drive then they'll get done for twoc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye im well aware mate, used to do some vehicle transportation as a part of my job & they dont tend to mess around with that ****. Im still livid with him, he had my permission to use it but he seemed to have misheard the day on which the insurance was expiring (and the SORN was happening).

Im just hoping that it wasnt updated on the insurance database or that the safety camera initiative never bothered to check (it was a van not a GATSO so there is a chance).
Original post by CAElite
Aye im well aware mate, used to do some vehicle transportation as a part of my job & they dont tend to mess around with that ****. Im still livid with him, he had my permission to use it but he seemed to have misheard the day on which the insurance was expiring (and the SORN was happening).

Im just hoping that it wasnt updated on the insurance database or that the safety camera initiative never bothered to check (it was a van not a GATSO so there is a chance).

Fair enough! Doesn't seem like you should get punished for it then...

I got caught doing 36 in a 30 by a camera van and my tax was 5 months out of date (thought I'd put on a year but had only done 6 months) and it never got mentioned...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iElvendork
If you haven't recieved anything in the post 30 days after the offence, then its likely you won't.
A while ago my mum was pulled over for going through a red light, which she didn't, they were supposed to send her a fine in the post but still havent , and this if 6 months later.
Also if you don't recieve anything until after 30 days you can contest it in a court. Someone to do with rights.

That is utter rubbish

14 days for NIPs is for auomated enforcement

if stopped at the time they have 6 months to summons you for court

Quick Reply

Latest