The Student Room Group

ABRSM Grade 5 Music Theory Exam

Hi,

I will be taking my grade 5 music theory exam in a couple of weeks, and I have a pretty poor chance of getting a pass. I completely suck at music theory, I think this is partly because of the teaching style of my tutor and the fact my brain can't seem to grasp the overall concept. I've been doing some past papers, and for the majority have been around 10 marks off the 66 mark pass rate :/

I just wondered if there was anyone else who has taken the exam, and how they found it. I would love it if anyone could offer me some tips about getting my head around music theory.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Hi frizz2000,

I did my ABRSM Grade 5 Music Theory exam in 2012 aged 10, and I got a Merit. Music is my favourite subject so I was pleased with my result.

If you're stuck with learning key terms from Grade 1 to 5, try and split it into chunks, and using revision cards is very helpful.

After you have written your melody for the Composition section, either play it on an instrument or sing it in your head (this is what you will have to do in the exam!) and see if it makes musical sense.

Hope this helps!
Original post by frizz2000
Hi,

I will be taking my grade 5 music theory exam in a couple of weeks, and I have a pretty poor chance of getting a pass. I completely suck at music theory, I think this is partly because of the teaching style of my tutor and the fact my brain can't seem to grasp the overall concept. I've been doing some past papers, and for the majority have been around 10 marks off the 66 mark pass rate :/

I just wondered if there was anyone else who has taken the exam, and how they found it. I would love it if anyone could offer me some tips about getting my head around music theory.

Thanks.

The thing about music theory is that it mostly maths. You count your way up and down the stave (or keyboard) in semitones for pitch and intervals, and you count your way through the bar in beats for the rhythm.
A very good book for music theory is 'Harmony and Theory' by Carl Schroeder. You should be able to get a second hand copy from Amazon cheaply.
Also try Musictheory.net
Reply 6
Hi, i just took my grade 5 theory last week (i am 16). I have had destinction and close to full marks on all the theory exams. Forget about learning performance directions, you wont remember them all and the majority are from other grades and it is not worth the tome for only a few marks. (Plus you cam usually make am educated guess at some words) Do some past papers and know how the paper works and what will be on it. Theory papers seem to love intervals, so make sure you can do them perfectly. I can assure you there will be something on cadences, and composing a melody, and transposing. I personally found it easier to complete part b (writing a melody to words) make sure you learn your key signatures and your time signatures. Good luck!
I've just started revising for mine :frown:
Hi! I have to admit, music theory is a mature concept, especially for younger students. For example, even though I did get 91 (distinction) on my Grade 5, I took it very recently when I was 17 in order to take Grade 8 Singing.

Don't forget that if you don't pass, it's not the end of the world! £35 is replaceable; nobody's going to die and that's coming from a guy who gets a bursary from school!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending