The Student Room Group

Should i quit?

I am sitting here at my computer wondering whether i should hand my notice in tomorrow.

I really hate my job at a certain well known electrical shop, and i only earn around £140 a month for doing Saturdays. I don't need money as it all goes on driving lessons, well i pay for the first lesson a week and my dad pays for the second so i would just cut down to one a week. The rest just seems to float in my account until i decide to buy something big which i don't need, like the laptop i just got.

My mother gives me money for going out and clothes so no worries there.

Only problem is what would be my reason for leaving on future application forms, i do feel that it is affecting my education as i am so tired by Sunday i don't do homework or study. My January exam results might have been the best in my school but they are still quite poor in my opinion, for example i missed A's by 4 and 2 marks in Maths and Biology, marks i could have got if i had had Saturdays, i also feel that they made me work more over xmas which also meant i had less time for revising (but more money which i pointlessly spent on more stuff i don't need).

BUT i cant put that as a reason if i want another job alongside my studies.

Also i want loads of time off for other stuff, planning to go to Blackpool for a weekend with friends, want some Saturdays off around may/june exams and also to go on my biology field trip in summer.

Please help me before tomorrow, I'm so messed up.
Reply 1
Perhaps change days of working or decrease amount of hours. I work on the weekdays, i get the whole weekend todo my work.
Reply 2
Lookey here mate, just quit, no one will care that you worked in comet or something, i mean tis just a part time job, just say you have taken time to study or something, in fact you dont even need a good reason to tell them, just hand in your notice, if you dont get good grades for university you may as well work at comet for your life (no offense) out your education first mate, dont even need to think about it, i mean every one is straight A nowadays, if you aint then you have a bigger problem that what your gonna put on the application form, its only part time after all. TAKE CONTROL Mike!
Reply 3
fblade
Perhaps change days of working or decrease amount of hours. I work on the weekdays, i get the whole weekend todo my work.

Why work at all, i mean work expierence in Comet isnt the best is it? you dont need the money, and you probably have maxed out the skills you will learn from Comet! oyu have like another 50 years to work why start now?
Reply 4
:ditto:

Don't worry about reasons, you just have to say you want to quit, just say you need to focus on your studies as you're exams are coming up as you said the time is more important than the money so just quit. They're not going to mention why you quit in a reference for another job so don't worry about it. Just quit!
comet sucks........run whilst you still can!!!!!!!
Reply 6
Bleached
Why work at all, i mean work expierence in Comet isnt the best is it? you dont need the money, and you probably have maxed out the skills you will learn from Comet! oyu have like another 50 years to work why start now?

Well unlike the OP, I do need the money, and I work in a chemist, so it does keep me on my feet, and helps my arithmetic:biggrin:.

You've worked there, you got the name on your CV. Thats an advantage.
No offence but if I was hiring and I had 2 candiates who were the same but one had worked all through college and Uni then I woudl pick them.

I worked all through college and Uni and it was a slog but at the end of the day if I did it I'd rather have someone working for me who worked as hard..

In reality it may make little difference for grad jobs because I know peopel who got 'top' jobs even tho they did very little during education time because their parents coudl afford to pay everythign for them :rolleyes:

Saying that I'd leave the job in your current situation. Maybe get a job during evenings so you can study at weekends?

Latest

Trending

Trending