The Student Room Group

9am lectures/practicals can't cope!

Hi,

Basically I've got 3 9am classes this week and I am finding it incredibly hard to get to them! I got to the first one but I missed today's one because I slept in to 9:30, the thing was it was a practical otherwise I would've went.

I am really annoyed about it because I had an opportunity to get there but I didn't. There was partying to 4am last night in my halls so as you can imagine it's going to be pretty hard to get up for an 8am class.

It's not struggling to get up at 8am which is my problem, it's the partying at 3-4am which is my problem. Teachers seem to be very unsympathetic for people struggling with 9am lectures, I can kind of understand their viewpoint but then at the same time I can understand the other end of the stick aswell.

I don't really know what to do, to be honest I've tried my best to adapt to the partying but it's not really working. I can't really force myself to get up if I am going to sleep my alarms, I have made an effort to set many alarms so far and none of them have worked. There's really much I can hope to do if there is partying.

Does anyone have any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Count yourself lucky that every day doesn't start at 09:00 or earlier. Goodness, lots of people have to get up at 07:00 to commute to work. Most uni students have little more than a short stroll from their residences.

Are you saying that it's other people partying that keeps you awake, rather than partaking yourself? If so, I recommend ear plugs.
Reply 2
YES, they were partying to 4am this morning. I went to bed at 11:30 but I couldn't sleep with all the racket, it was anything from thumping music to people running down the corridor and making a lot of ruckus.

I had five different alarms and I still managed to sleep through them. My parent's are so unsympathetic and keep blaming it on me both failing to understand that I MADE an effort to get to the classes and that I could NOT wake up no matter how many alarms I set!

The class on Monday, I made it to because there was no partying and I got to sleep at 12am!

To be honest, I don't know what else I can do? I've tried to get the lecturers to change the classes or move me to alternative ones and they won't, I don't think I can do much else. If there were was no partying I would obviously have made it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you tried ear plugs or asking them to keep the noise down after midnight? If you're in halls is there an RA or someone in charge you can speak to about the noise? If they're loud until 4am I doubt you're the only one annoyed
1) ask the people who organise the parties to try and keep it down a bit during their next party.
(That won't work but at least you're then covered.)
2) Is there anyone you can complain to about this?
3) This is life, get used to it. You'll just have to keep going.

Here is a handy tip for waking up when you are exhaused.. Put your alarm clock in a place where you have to get out of bed to stop it.
I've often found that, counterintuitively, the party noise doesn't get really loud til about 11-2am. So I try and make sure I'm asleep before it starts. Even if it would be too loud for me to get to sleep while it's going on, I can usually sleep through it. Hope that makes sense? In your situation, I'd be aiming to sleep from 9.30 to 6.30.
Reply 6
I don't think people are understanding. I SLEPT through the alarm, as in I did not wake up when it went off!

Anyway, I just sent a text message to him, I am really embarrassed to be honest. Being late is not my forte, unfortunately I can't imagine him or anyone else being sympathetic.

I have done my best to get up for these classes and that's all I can do.
Original post by Frostyjoe
YES, they were partying to 4am this morning. I went to bed at 11:30 but I couldn't sleep with all the racket, it was anything from thumping music to people running down the corridor and making a lot of ruckus.

I had five different alarms and I still managed to sleep through them. My parent's are so unsympathetic and keep blaming it on me both failing to understand that I MADE an effort to get to the classes and that I could NOT wake up no matter how many alarms I set!

The class on Monday, I made it to because there was no partying and I got to sleep at 12am!

To be honest, I don't know what else I can do? I've tried to get the lecturers to change the classes or move me to alternative ones and they won't, I don't think I can do much else. If there were was no partying I would obviously have made it.

Speak to whichever department manages the accommodation you're living in. Most University halls have rules regarding noise late at night, and while they tend to be fairly relaxed about enforcing them, they will step in and do something if somebody complains. So contact them, ask them to make sure they keep it anonymous, and they'll speak to the flat or flats involved. If it keeps happening then do you have a Campus Security phone number? If you do then next time give them a ring as generally they are the people responsible for breaking up parties that are being held on campus but are disruptive to all the students around them.

Lastly, get yourself a pair of in-ear headphones and sleep in them. That way it'll help keep the noise out and you won't be shut away from your alarms like you would if you were wearing earplugs.
Reply 8
I just sent a an email and I was told I may be penalised. I don't think this is fair!

Anyway, I am going to go to Boots now and get Earplugs and see what happens.
Get a louder alarm clock.

People also shouldn't be making noise after midnight during the week.
Put your alarm on vibrate and leave it under your pillow.
Reply 11
Tuesday night is the big party night in my university. It has caused to me to miss my lectures a few times now.
Reply 12
Original post by cole-slaw
Get a louder alarm clock.

People also shouldn't be making noise after midnight during the week.

I know they shouldn't be partying but that's like chatting to the wall here. I need to look for alternative solutions.
I just sent a an email and I was told I may be penalised. I don't think this is fair!

Anyway, I am going to go to Boots now and get Earplugs and see what happens.

report the noise, anonymously if you can

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know they shouldn't be partying but that's like chatting to the wall here. I need to look for alternative solutions.

These people are steadily ruining your study, potential results and, ultimately, life chances. You need to get the partying stopped at an early hour, or find alternative (quiet accommodation).

You're not taking responsibility. Yes, your flat/housemates shouldn't be partying until 4 am but you should have told them to shut up. If you live in halls you should be able to contact a porter if they're being noisy beyond a certain time to sort out the situation.

Your lecturers aren't going to change the times of your lectures or move you to different groups because you don't want to make the effort to get up. Somebody has to have lectures at 9 am and it happens to be you right now. Very few students will avoid 9 ams throughout their entire degree.
Reply 16
I did make the effort to get up, I get five different alarms and I slept through them all.

What more do you want me to do? I can't control the partying, yes I could ring up but they'd just start right back up again.

Tuesday night is the party night, it's unfortunate that I always have practicals on that date. I nearly missed another practical for the same reason.
(edited 8 years ago)

What more do you want me to do? I can't control the partying, yes I could ring up but they'd just start right back up again.

Well, you won't know until you try. You really must stop putting up with it and be brave enough to get the noise fixed.

Nobody wants you to do anything: it is your problem to fix, and people have just suggested the obvious routes to fixing it. If you ignore the advice then the consequences will be yours to deal with. Harsh, but true.

Waking on time is not the problem; the early lectures are not the problem. The disturbed sleep is the problem, and that comes back to the noise.
(edited 8 years ago)
Many of my friends actually get to lectures on time. Their secret? They do not bathe or brush their teeth when they get up. They simply throw some clothes on and rush to school.
Original post by ~Seraphina~
Many of my friends actually get to lectures on time. Their secret? They do not bathe or brush their teeth when they get up. They simply throw some clothes on and rush to school.

ew, they should really take 3 minutes to brush their teeth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest