The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ruby17
How was the LNAT? I don't know why but i find it so scary even though its not.
How long did it take you to prepare for it?

I didnt do a lot of revision, I just read news articles regularly and did the practices on the LNAT website and I did some questions from two LNAT books from my school library.
I thought the texts in the exam were much harder than the practices I did but maybe that's because I started my exam before 8AM and I was knackered. Don't worry too hard and remind yourself it's not a test of what you know, but your ability.
Have you done yours yet? How was it?
Original post by Ruby17
How was the LNAT? I don't know why but i find it so scary even though its not.
How long did it take you to prepare for it?

Hi :smile: I posted about my LNAT experience in another thread, not sure how to quote it here so ill just copy and paste!

Yeah i did the LNAT in September and sent application on the 15th October I thought it went reasonably well, I flagged 4 or 5 questions for review at the end, and was pretty confident in all of the answers I then settled on, bar one which was one of two things I couldn't decide on so guessed. I'd recommend having some sort of strategy in terms of time management, and practice it on past papers if possible. For example, there are 42 multiple choice questions and you have 95 minutes to complete and check them all. If you spend just under two minutes on each question and no longer, flagging ones unsure on, you will have about 15 minutes left to go back and check through all your answers. The essay question I chose to answer was something about prosecuting people for offences in the past, which I felt good writing about, but whether or not it was any good is obviously subjective and dependant upon the tutor reading it :eek: Again in terms of time, you have 40 minutes from the moment you start reading the three questions. So choose one quickly, and spend 5 minutes or so planning, 25-30 minutes writing and 5 minutes checking. Remember there is no spell check so carefully check your work. Hope this helps if you haven't taken the LNAT yet, and if you have, hope it helps others - and how did you find it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Ive applied to Nottingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Kent and Reading.. Offers from Liverpool, Kent and reading. Slightly worried as nottingham and bristol are the LNAT universities and haven't heard from them yet!
Reply 63
I got AAB at AS and I really want to apply for law. My predicted grades are A*AB and I'm struggling to find some good unis that will actually accept me. pls help lol
Original post by fabruttledge
Ive applied to Nottingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Kent and Reading.. Offers from Liverpool, Kent and reading. Slightly worried as nottingham and bristol are the LNAT universities and haven't heard from them yet!

Don't worry! They are known to shift out their offers from mid November onwards

Original post by ombbk
I got AAB at AS and I really want to apply for law. My predicted grades are A*AB and I'm struggling to find some good unis that will actually accept me. pls help lol

Look at York and Bristol
Reply 65
Original post by thepaperhero
Don't worry! They are known to shift out their offers from mid November onwards

Look at York and Bristol

is it too late to apply to those unis though? because my teacher still hasn't written my reference :frown:
Reply 66
Original post by ombbk
is it too late to apply to those unis though? because my teacher still hasn't written my reference :frown:

Nope, apply if you want! The deadline is Jan 15th and theoretically they have to give the same attention to all applications no matter when they are recieved.
Reply 67
Original post by ombbk

York (currently top 12 for Law, but it's moving up the top really, really quickly).
Reply 68
Original post by saule1116
York (currently top 12 for Law, but it's moving up the top really, really quickly).

thanks! i really want to apply but i'm not sure because my grades aren't as high as the other people who are receiving offers :colondollar:
Reply 69
Original post by fs1
Nope, apply if you want! The deadline is Jan 15th and theoretically they have to give the same attention to all applications no matter when they are recieved.

Reply 70
Original post by ombbk
thanks! i really want to apply but i'm not sure because my grades aren't as high as the other people who are receiving offers :colondollar:

You'll certainly get an interview.
Reply 71
Original post by james3254
Hi :smile: I posted about my LNAT experience in another thread, not sure how to quote it here so ill just copy and paste!

Yeah i did the LNAT in September and sent application on the 15th October I thought it went reasonably well, I flagged 4 or 5 questions for review at the end, and was pretty confident in all of the answers I then settled on, bar one which was one of two things I couldn't decide on so guessed. I'd recommend having some sort of strategy in terms of time management, and practice it on past papers if possible. For example, there are 42 multiple choice questions and you have 95 minutes to complete and check them all. If you spend just under two minutes on each question and no longer, flagging ones unsure on, you will have about 15 minutes left to go back and check through all your answers. The essay question I chose to answer was something about prosecuting people for offences in the past, which I felt good writing about, but whether or not it was any good is obviously subjective and dependant upon the tutor reading it :eek: Again in terms of time, you have 40 minutes from the moment you start reading the three questions. So choose one quickly, and spend 5 minutes or so planning, 25-30 minutes writing and 5 minutes checking. Remember there is no spell check so carefully check your work. Hope this helps if you haven't taken the LNAT yet, and if you have, hope it helps others - and how did you find it?

Hey :smile: Thank you very much. That was actually pretty helpful. For the essay, did you just stay on top of current affairs and read good quality newspapers?
Original post by Ruby17
Hey :smile: Thank you very much. That was actually pretty helpful. For the essay, did you just stay on top of current affairs and read good quality newspapers?

No problem, don't sound too surprised that it was helpful haha! :giggle:

Yeah, i think its important for both parts, not just for the essay, to read widely around current affairs and in publications which are well written. For example, i subscribe to The Economist and read this weekly. However, so as to avoid your views becoming too narrowly informed, also consider an alternative perspective such as a broadsheet, perhaps The Guardian. In regularly reading quality newspapers and practising a few past papers for the multiple choice section, you'll be more than adequately prepared :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by james3254
No problem, don't sound too surprised that it was helpful haha! :giggle:

Yeah, i think its important for both parts, not just for the essay, to read widely around current affairs and in publications which are well written. For example, i subscribe to The Economist and read this weekly. However, so as to avoid your views becoming too narrowly informed, also consider an alternative perspective such as a broadsheet, perhaps The Guardian. In regularly reading quality newspapers and practising a few past papers for the multiple choice section, you'll be more than adequately prepared :smile:

Haha I apologise, I often find pretty standard advice, thus I was pretty enthusiastic when I read yours :biggrin:

Ah, yes I've been doing exactly that, although the essay part still makes m anxious for some reason. I guess through consistent practise I'll begin to ease up, hopefully :smile:
Hi everyone!
I have sent off my UCAS application on 16th Oct and I have applied to Warwick, York, Manchester, Exeter and Lancaster. I still havent received any news from York, Manchester and Exeter.. I heard quite a lot of people actually got offers/invitations to interview from them so should I send them an email or not:frown:?
Pls help! Thx:smile:
I have just received an invitation to interview at Queens College Cambridge, over the moon to say the least!!! Absolutely bricking it now however....
Reply 76
Original post by fs1
my app got sent of on the 14th oct, lnat was taken on the 20th oct and received an offer from city uni on 19th oct.
Still waiting to hear from oxford, ucl, qmul and soas.

Original post by fs1
my app got sent of on the 14th oct, lnat was taken on the 20th oct and received an offer from city uni on 19th oct.
Still waiting to hear from oxford, ucl, qmul and soas.

just got an offer from soas im so excited
Reply 77
Original post by SOAS Student Helper
Hellooooo @fs1

Yayyyy you're interested in SOAS :hoppy:
Come and drop us a line in our 2016 SOAS Application Thread and let me know when you sent off your application. I'll be able to help you there as well as answer any other questions you might have. Don't be shy, we don't bite. Or do we... :sneakydevil:

P.S. Don't be afraid to say hi to others, join in the conversation, or throw some silly facts or emojis in there! We loveeeeee emojis! :party:

~Mike

HEY! I just got an offer from you guys!!!!!!!
Reply 78
Original post by sjcalvert98
I have just received an invitation to interview at Queens College Cambridge, over the moon to say the least!!! Absolutely bricking it now however....

Congratulations!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Ruby17
Congratulations!!! :biggrin:

Thank yoa didn't expect it tbh😂 where have you applied?

Latest