The Student Room Group

Already have a degree - help!

Hello!

I graduated in 2011 with a politics degree, and then did a PGCE in 2012. Since then I've completely changed career paths and I've applied for mental health nursing since I've worked in mental health since then and found this to be my 'calling' as such.

My questions are -

Has anyone got funding even though they have studied before? Will I be entitled to any loans, bursaries or fees paid?

Has any one received any offers for next September yet? I've applied for Huddersfield, both Leeds and Sheffield Hallam.

Thanks!! X
Original post by KristieNCarr
Hello!

I graduated in 2011 with a politics degree, and then did a PGCE in 2012. Since then I've completely changed career paths and I've applied for mental health nursing since I've worked in mental health since then and found this to be my 'calling' as such.

My questions are -

Has anyone got funding even though they have studied before? Will I be entitled to any loans, bursaries or fees paid?

Has any one received any offers for next September yet? I've applied for Huddersfield, both Leeds and Sheffield Hallam.

Thanks!! X

Now supposedly it could potentially be changing but hopefully it wont, if so for:
A BSC, your tuition would be paid, you could get nhs bursary and a loan from sfe
A pgdip or masters, your tuition would be paid but you may not be able to have a maintenance loan for courses at that level
Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
Now supposedly it could potentially be changing but hopefully it wont, if so for:
A BSC, your tuition would be paid, you could get nhs bursary and a loan from sfe
A pgdip or masters, your tuition would be paid but you may not be able to have a maintenance loan for courses at that level

Hi - as far as I'm aware you should be entitled to full funding. Can you elaborate on this potential change? As I myself posses a degree and I'm interested where you heard this - thanks! :smile:
Original post by bigsmoke
Hi - as far as I'm aware you should be entitled to full funding. Can you elaborate on this potential change? As I myself posses a degree and I'm interested where you heard this - thanks! :smile:

The news and a few lecturers l also signed a petition against it. The council of deans of health have suggested it to the treasury including making it loan for living costs too, supposedly if it does change it could be mentioned in next months spending review.
I ve done a hnd (so already used two years of funding up ) so feel very lucky to have gotten into nursing this year, can't describe how grateful I am really.
The news and a few lecturers l also signed a petition against it. The council of deans of health have suggested it to the treasury including making it loan for living costs too, supposedly if it does change it could be mentioned in next months spending review.
I ve done a hnd (so already used two years of funding up ) so feel very lucky to have gotten into nursing this year, can't describe how grateful I am really.

Same here - I've done a HND and I topped up to get the full degree this year and applying for next year Nursing! If it changes to loans then I wouldn't be able to do it I don't think - not unless it goes on top of your existing Student Finance? Thanks for your help though!
Same here - I've done a HND and I topped up to get the full degree this year and applying for next year Nursing! If it changes to loans then I wouldn't be able to do it I don't think - not unless it goes on top of your existing Student Finance? Thanks for your help though!

I think it could depend on what they decided as graduate entry medicine students are able to get loans for medicine as a second degree to a certain extent so maybe they would bring in similar rules for nursing, fingers crossed they dont change anything as i know they would lose out on many people applying if the bursary didnt exist.
I think it could depend on what they decided as graduate entry medicine students are able to get loans for medicine as a second degree to a certain extent so maybe they would bring in similar rules for nursing, fingers crossed they dont change anything as i know they would lose out on many people applying if the bursary didnt exist.

Yeah I agree - doesn't make sense to try and attract more potential nurses does it? Although the drop out rate is supposedly really high, so I can imagine them loosing out on a lot of money. It wouldn't stop me if it added to my existing Finance (i.e. the 9% I'd be paying back from my other Undergraduate degree); although I can see it effecting other people. I think it would be too late to implement it for 2016 entry though.
Yeah I agree - doesn't make sense to try and attract more potential nurses does it? Although the drop out rate is supposedly really high, so I can imagine them loosing out on a lot of money. It wouldn't stop me if it added to my existing Finance (i.e. the 9% I'd be paying back from my other Undergraduate degree); although I can see it effecting other people. I think it would be too late to implement it for 2016 entry though.

No it really doesn't. It varies between universities but the drop out rate for mine is about 20% so that's a lot of money lost really. 2016 would be too late I recon but 2017 would be a possibility I suppose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending