The Student Room Group

Routes into becoming a college lecturer?

Anyone else planning or thinking about becoming a college lecturer? It would be nice to speak to like minded people as I've only just decided I want to go into this.
Reply 1
Hey! I have considered it. What subject would you be lecturing??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by JPencil
Hey! I have considered it. What subject would you be lecturing??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! & ah thats great, literally everyone on my current course just wants to go into Primary/Secondary school teaching or Social work!

I'd either want to teach Literacy or something more along the lines in the education department like Child care or Early years.

you?
Reply 3
Original post by RaymanJayy
Hey! & ah thats great, literally everyone on my current course just wants to go into Primary/Secondary school teaching or Social work!

I'd either want to teach Literacy or something more along the lines in the education department like Child care or Early years.

you?

If i went into teaching it would definitely be Maths, i like the idea of genius/ lunatic teacher :biggrin::colondollar:
Reply 4
Hahaha fair enough 😂
I'm doing my Social Work degree now, but I have thought about doing a PGCE after maybe 10 years in practice and teaching Health and Social Care for GCSE/A-Level/BTEC :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to find your subject then research routes into teaching

For instance you probably need a degree in English to teach English plus a teaching qualification
But hairdressers or plumbers who move into teaching (obviously qualified with appropriate professional training) generally can get a job teaching but have to agree to do a lower level teaching certificate with X months of moving int the post.

Once you get to university level you almost certainly need a PhD to teach in a full time role.

Quick Reply

Latest