The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey, at my college we learn Unit 4 first so I've just finished Addiction (and research methods). We also do:

Depression
Biological Rhythms
Eating Behaviour
Aggression

How have you found these modules if you have already done them?
Here is another essay guys for "Discuss biological therapies for schizophrenia". You can use this essay as a guide in order for you to construct your own essay. I will be uploading more essays in the future onto this thread. Enjoy :smile:
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Here is another essay guys for "Discuss biological therapies for schizophrenia". You can use this essay as a guide in order for you to construct your own essay. I will be uploading more essays in the future onto this thread. Enjoy :smile:

finished relatioonships aggression and cognition done unit 3...starting unit 4 after mocks in two weeks...done 16 essays twice but done it open book scared i wont be able to do it without it in jan...

any tips for remebering in time,i can currently do essays in 35-45 mins with my book of notes :/ i have to do 3 essays in 1 hour and 30 mins for my mock but my teacher said i shouldnt cut my timing to 30 mins per essay but rather try to complete them in less than an hour...
Original post by scrawlx101

finished relatioonships aggression and cognition done unit 3...starting unit 4 after mocks in two weeks...done 16 essays twice but done it open book scared i wont be able to do it without it in jan...

any tips for remebering in time,i can currently do essays in 35-45 mins with my book of notes :/ i have to do 3 essays in 1 hour and 30 mins for my mock but my teacher said i shouldnt cut my timing to 30 mins per essay but rather try to complete them in less than an hour...

I literally just read over my essays again, again, again, again and again...to the point where I can visualise the essay in my head lol. Or you could just keep writing the essay over and over again. Or what I also do is I create essay plans on cue cards with the main AO1, AO2 and AO3 points in bullet point form. Or you could create audio clips of you reading your essays and then listen to those audio clips when you are free, such as on the way to school or sleeping. :smile:
I am really struggling how to write a good essay.. Can someone give me some tips..!?
Hey guys, retaking PSAY3 and 4. I got C last year, B in AS. Really gonna have to say it this year!
What are some really good tips for memorising studies in detail?
Original post by SKHSSTUDENT

You could record yourself saying the studies out aloud and then listen your audio clips when you are free. you can write them out in bullet points:

1) Aim
2) Procedure
3) Findings
4) Conclusion

Then with a highlighter, highlight any trigger/keywords that will help you remember the information. For example "Bandura et al", "24 male participants", "participants carried out memory test". You could ask your friends to test you on reciting studies as detailed as possible, and if you get stuck they can give you clues to help you remember the studies, so you can learn from each other's mistakes. :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by theasian_csl
I am really struggling how to write a good essay.. Can someone give me some tips..!?

Make sure you include twice as much AO2 in your essays compared to AO1 and remember 2-3 IDA points always. If you can't remember them, use the mnemonic GRENADE for IDA :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by katemate98
Hey, at my college we learn Unit 4 first so I've just finished Addiction (and research methods). We also do:

Depression
Biological Rhythms
Eating Behaviour
Aggression

How have you found these modules if you have already done them?

I personally found Biological Rhythms somewhat harder than aggression as there is more biology. But, i kept looking over it and watching videos so it's in my head now. How did you find addiction?

I did relationships, sleep and aggression for unit 3 and going to study schizophrenia, anomalistic psych and research methods
my school starts on unit 4 first. we do media psychology, schizophrenia, and research method obv.
I'm kind of stuck on writing big essays for 24 marks, the top marks I could earn is 20 up until now. can anyone give me simple suggestions, would mean a lot :smile:
Could you show a sample of your work?
Original post by bellaofficial07
my school starts on unit 4 first. we do media psychology, schizophrenia, and research method obv.
I'm kind of stuck on writing big essays for 24 marks, the top marks I could earn is 20 up until now. can anyone give me simple suggestions, would mean a lot :smile:
Reply 52
can someone help me with neural mechanisms in eating behaviour pls?
Original post by DeadEnd_96
I literally just read over my essays again, again, again, again and again...to the point where I can visualise the essay in my head lol. Or you could just keep writing the essay over and over again. Or what I also do is I create essay plans on cue cards with the main AO1, AO2 and AO3 points in bullet point form. Or you could create audio clips of you reading your essays and then listen to those audio clips when you are free, such as on the way to school or sleeping. :smile:

What actually is the difference between AO2 and AO3? Could you also provide some examples please. Thank you x
Reply 54
My college have decided to teach Unit 4 first which we've finished, we're doing:
Depression (hardly anyone seems to be doing this)
Media
and Research Methods

Then for Unit 3 we're doing:
Aggression

I'm not very confident about Unit 4 though as no one in the psychology department is currently doing well, we think we're not being told how to develop our evaluation properly and not able to learn the structure of answering these questions.
Reply 55
At my college we're doing: Aggression, relationships, sleep, addiction, and schizophrenia!

I'm really loving schizophrenia so far! Also, for the question 'Discuss issues surrounding the diagnosis and classification of schizophrenia' I got 24/24 and made a detailed plan which I could possibly upload at some point! :smile:
Reply 56
Finding relationships as one of the easiest units so far in A2. I did a essay in class and got it marked as a D ( my technique was really wrong!) and then I rewrote it using the feedback I got and my lecturer marked it as a B! So happy, but I need to practice the style I write. We did mocks last week and I ran out of time so had to rush my last essay, but fingers crossed I can get a good grade ☺️
I'm so glad I'm doing Edexcel and not AQA, I wouldn't want to do papers that are made up of just (or mainly) essays.

Original post by SKHSSTUDENT

As pointed out above, the 'Describe' part of studies is split into APRC: Aims, Procedure, Results, Conclusion(s). For the 'Evaluate' part, we use the mnemonic GRAVE: Generalisability, Reliability, Application, Validity, Ethics.

What I suggest doing is splitting up the studies into APRC and getting a few points for each (obviously aims will be short, as well as conclusions). Then do the same for the evaluation, write down a few concise, summarised points.

I'll attach a quick revision sheet I made this week for Loftus and Palmer's laboratory experiment so you can get a clear idea of what I mean. Yours may well be neater than mine :h:
I'm doing aggression, gender and biological rhythms and sleep for PSYA3. Schizophrenia and addiction for PSYA4. We're pretty much finished PSYA3. I'm loving it but gosh is there a lot of content! Currently getting all B's in essays with a couple of A's here and there, but I need a minimum of an A overall! No idea how I'm going to memorise all the possible answers for the essays with only approximately 4 months left before my exams start...

Also, quick note: You do NOT need to know the studies in detail, you won't get any extra marks for this. You just need to outline the findings and link it to the theory, adding researcher names and a few dates in there if possible to impress the examiners!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by A-LJLB
Also, quick note: You do NOT
need to know the studies in detail, you won't get any extra marks for this. You just need to outline the findings and link it to the theory, adding researcher names and a few dates in there if possible to impress the examiners!

You don't? Lucky you! Across both years we have to learn 28+ studies in full detail for Edexcel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending