The Student Room Group

How many hours approx do you work?

I have heard a lot of people are working part-time during their university to earn a little little more money for themselves...

Just wonder how many hours do you work approximately, without interrupting your study, if you are working part-time. 20 hours a week? or less than that or more?

Anyone wants to share your story?
Original post by Caffe_sean1
I have heard a lot of people are working part-time during their university to earn a little little more money for themselves...

Just wonder how many hours do you work approximately, without interrupting your study, if you are working part-time. 20 hours a week? or less than that or more?

Anyone wants to share your story?

During my time at university, I often worked 14 hours a week (7 hours each day at the weekend). My shifts were 7am to 2pm, so they didn't disrupt my studying time in my third year. If my workload was smaller some weeks, I'd pick up an extra day.

I would say working more than 25 hours a week is too much to be able to manage, some people can - but they are often quite tired most weeks and often put work off, until the last minute.

Thanks,
Kath :h:.
Reply 2
I work 6 and a quarter hours a week. It doesn't interrupt my study 1) because it's so few hours (but pays well) and 2) because I work from 7am - 8:15am. Plus my workplace is literally 5 minutes by car from my uni so I get around 40 mins free time before my morning lectures which is just enough time to work on an assignment or do a bit of studying. It forces me to wake up early for afternoon classes as well so I find that I use my time more productively on those days - if I didn't have work at 7, I'd stay in bed until noon.
I worked anywhere between 8 and 12 hours a week during uni, and more during holiday periods as part of my shop job. I negotiated it down a bit during my final year. So not a huge amount, but it was spread across two days.
5hrs a week matched betting and maybe 5hrs a week on some freelance web development work.
(edited 8 years ago)
i worked in my undergrad maybe 20 to 25 hours a week, and just relaxed the rest of the time. uni work comes first thats what you have to remember.
I work 22.5 hours, 3 days a week. It does not interrupt my study but the way it works out with my university in week 2 means I have to get out of my pit at 6AM 9 days in a row :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm in first year and I'm working part time-a max of 20 hours per week. Usually I work on Mondays and Fridays and the odd Saturday which is fine for me since I generally have the weekends free for doing uni work.

Quick Reply

Latest