The Student Room Group

Has anyone got an unconditional offer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cbaker22
Surely mature students should get unconditional offers? Or are there other conditions?

i.e. me, I took my A-Levels in 2011, got my grades and have had experience since, would they be able to offer me a conditional as in "conditional if you use us as your first choice" ? Just curious if you know or anyone else does because at an open day someone said that if I made their uni my first choice then I would surely get in but I thought to myself I can't do that unless you offer me something :s-smilie:

If you are not taking any more exams, then any offers you get will be unconditional, based on what you already have.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If you are not taking any more exams, then any offers you get will be unconditional, based on what you already have.

Thank you :smile:
what AS and A2 predictions did people get who have unconditional offers? (specifically the ones from uni of Birmingham)

also, did they receive their unconditional offer immediately or after a few days?
Got an unconditional from Oxford Brookes
Reply 64
Ive got an unconditional offer for lancaster for history if i make it firm, so takes a bit of pressure off for a2s if i pick them :smile:
Unconditional from Nottingham for Classics if I firm :smile: A lot of people from my school have been getting unconditionals from Nottingham though x
Original post by Emilymolly19
what AS and A2 predictions did people get who have unconditional offers? (specifically the ones from uni of Birmingham)

also, did they receive their unconditional offer immediately or after a few days?

I got an unconditional,
As grades: AAAB
A2 predicted: A*A*A*
But people have been given offer wirh A*AA I think, depends on your course grade requirements (mine is AAA)
Yay I got unconditional at Brighton for Journalism and Multimedia Broadcast Journalism :biggrin: :biggrin:
I received an unconditional from Leicester for Psychology
Got an unconditional (if firmed) from Royal Holloway and an unconditional from Queen Mary :biggrin:
I have unconditional offers to Edinburgh and Heriot-Watt for chemistry :smile: but I'm Scottish so they just judge us off of our highers
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ffiorentini
I have unconditional offers to Edinburgh and Heriot-Watt for chemistry :smile: but I'm Scottish so they just judge us off of our highers

You mean you're Scottish so they are biased?
Original post by unihelp98

Not that I'm aware of... it's just that the Scottish system was designed so that you're meant to leave school after your highers (equivalent to AS) and go to university, so the Scottish universities judge us off of our highers for entry to first year.
If we stay on and do advanced highers (equivalent to A levels) we can apply to second year (the equivalent to first year at an English university), and we'd be given conditional offers based on our advanced highers. But if we already have our highers and are applying to first year, then it's like applying when you already have your A levels. You're already qualified to get in so they often give unconditionals.

Hi unihelp98,

Just wanted to myth-bust here, Scottish universities cannot be biased towards Scottish applicants or any applicants for that matter. Every application that comes to Heriot-Watt is treated on it's individual merit and we make offers accordingly.

ffiorentini explained the differences between the Scottish system and the rest of the UK system perfectly (below).

Original post by ffiorentini
Not that I'm aware of... it's just that the Scottish system was designed so that you're meant to leave school after your highers (equivalent to AS) and go to university, so the Scottish universities judge us off of our highers for entry to first year.
If we stay on and do advanced highers (equivalent to A levels) we can apply to second year (the equivalent to first year at an English university), and we'd be given conditional offers based on our advanced highers. But if we already have our highers and are applying to first year, then it's like applying when you already have your A levels. You're already qualified to get in so they often give unconditionals.

Hope this has busted the myth but if anyone reading this has any issues or queries about the Scottish system or how Heriot-Watt as a uni deals with its offer just get in touch :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 74
Original post by MedievalWitch
Just curious Ive got 320 UCAS Points and im only applying for Notts Trent which has a entry requirement of 280, if i apply am i likely to be accepted (if my personal statements okay) and given an unconditional offer??

I am predicted 320 and applied at NTU, and I've got an unconditional offer if I firm :smile:

No.

Scottish unis use Highers as the basis of their entry requirements into first year (i.e. the equivalent to AS) so if you were to fulfil those with your results, you'd get an unconditional. That's the reason why the degrees are four years in length, because it used to be the case that people left school after their Highers (some still do) at the age of 17, before starting uni.

Love how you (and a lot of people on here) jump to hasty assumptions, without doing a little bit of research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
I thought that Heriot-Watt were doing the gathered approach meaning that they were not giving out any offers until later on in the year once they have received everyone's application
I've got an unconditional from Royal Holloway for History but only if I put it as my firm😁 I also got conditionals from York, Manchester and Sheffield but I'm still waiting on Edinburgh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babooshkat
Got an unconditional (if firmed) from Royal Holloway and an unconditional from Queen Mary :biggrin:

I got an unconditional from Royal Holloway too! Are you considering putting it as your firm or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by louisahoyle
I got an unconditional from Royal Holloway too! Are you considering putting it as your firm or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

most likely not :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending