The Student Room Group

How did you choose your university course?

Scroll to see replies

louisedotcom
Psycholoist.

Eh?
sequence123
Eh?

Wow, could you really not see for yourself that there was a 'g' missing?
Thats pretty tragic.
Reply 22
I knew for years that I wanted to learn Spanish, I'd been to the country many times since I was little and enjoyed everything about it.

For my other subject, Linguistics, it was decided right before I applied. I was a bit torn between what to do alongisde Spanish but since I enjoy languages generally I just figured that the study of language in general would be really interesting. I've read up a lot on the subject lately and am glad I chose it.
Reply 23
I've always had an interest in IT and found whilst doing my IT course at college i enjoyed the business units that were part of it so i thought i would do something that combined the two.
Reply 24
Drama and Theatre was the only thing I could envision doing for 3 or 4 years without getting bored. When I applied I actually really loved it. So mine was based on pure love for the subject.
I found myself having a natural interest in Biology to begin with. Then after reading deeper and further into the subject I became more curious and interested in the fundamentals of the subject on a molecular level. Hence Biochemistry was a natural progression from this. Not simply 'Oh i couldn't choose between biology and chemistry so decided on a compromise' , as i fear others may have done.
Reply 26
I always knew that I wanted to study something related to science and something that allowed my creative freedom. So with that known, I made a huge and by huge I mean HUGE, list of all the possible options. I cut out all those that involved biology and chemistry (i am really horrible in those two :p:). Next I cut off anything that was boring IMO. Then I had a short list of two or three things I was interested in. Took those few, read like a billion prospectus information, research and ripped the net for information about the courses, job prospects, job cateegories, what mofules they teach, the works actually and then finally singled out to my choice: Mechanical Engineering :biggrin:. I was at it for so long I almost missed the application deadline:redface: . Comparatively, university choices took much much lesser time:redface: .

:tee:
Reply 27
Proton Boy
Couldn't pick between History and Politics so I flipped a coin, heads History, tails Politics. It came up tails.

and if it landed on its side....?
With great difficulty.

I made a big balls up the fist time I applied and went for a subject that I wasn't really suited for. I was all set to go to Manchester University and do politics before I took a Gap Year, got my A- Level results and realised that I really loved languages and have always been quite good at them so I chose French and Russian instead. I've also changed my mind about the university and am now going to UCL. Before I began applying in year 12 university had never been something I really considered even though I'd always had some foggy notion that I'd go there after finishing school, my general cluelessness probably led me to take some hasty decisions. Ah well it's all good and sorted now. :smile:
Reply 29
Through school I liked History & English, but from A-level I knew that neither of those subjects were for me. I always had an interest with the police & crime, so..I chose Forensic Science. And from reading many books, and some tv shows (the documentaries aswell as the dramas), I decided this was what I wanted to do.
When my sister was applying to university, she brought my attention to Meteorology (she didn't have the right a levels for it but thought it looked really interesting) and I thought it was completely fascinating! So, its been on my mind for several years that I would like to find out more!! I have to do a foundation year to qualify but I can't wait to eventually get stuck into it!!
Reply 31
For me it was something I have always been interesting, then I read a few books on the academic side of things and it was great...like History but more interesting :biggrin:

Then for choosing my uni I ordered lots of prospectuses, spent lots of time on TSR finding out the good and bad points from actual students of the ones I was interested in and visited a few unis. As it turned out, my firm is the first one I visited.
Politics was the one thing that was keeping me going through the end of last year. I seemed destined to study and make a career out of politics.
I'll tell you how if I ever actually decide on a course (which is highly unlikely).
Just do what you think you will find interesting. You will do much better if you are interested in what you are doing and are happy. I don't want anyone ending up like me just before I dropped out. It will come in time, and you have until like January (I think) unless you want to go to Oxbridge or study medicine in which case it is October.
Mine was a natural progession for a subject that I throughly enjoy studying
Although I still won't be fully sure that the courses I have chosen are the right ones until my results and when I start one of them, it did take me a while to know what to do.

When I first started A-levels I was interested in doing something Business related for some reason, although towards the end of that first year I was geared towards doing a Politics related degree as I actually enjoyed the course and thought I was going somewhere with it. Unfortunately I got a D for my Politics AS level, so I had to look elsewhere.

Don't quite remember how I wanted to do Town Planning, just appealed to me for some strange reason, as I was ok at Human Geography and I did fairly well in the unit one urban and rural environments, which I suppose influenced me.
Reply 37
I drew up a list of course my A-Levels would allow me to take which were Engineering and the Physical Sciences and worked it from there.

I ruled out Engineering fairly quicky as the Vocational aspect really wasn't me and I lost interest in the field.

It left me between Physics and Maths. I actually changed my course on UCAS between the pair several times. Eventually I decided my lab skills (or lack of) would mean I'd struggle unduly on a Physics course and I was finding Maths very interesting so I chose Maths.

A long-winded approach I'm sure though mind.
Reply 38
I played the UCAS game.

UCAS game:
1. Find the big UCAS book
2. Give it to a friend and get them to flick through the pages slowly.
3. Close your eyes and shout "stop" when it feels right. Your friend should stop on whatever page they are on.
4. Then pick a number x between 1 and 100.
5. Count down x degrees on the page. That's your degree and institution sorted in under two minutes!!!
Reply 39
I chose the thing that interested me most at the time. The fact it has decent career options isn't here nor there :biggrin:

I coulda been a lawyer... was tempted to try for medic.. but in the end you gotta do what you enjoy and engineering was what I was into.

Quick Reply

Latest