Are you told what f(x) or f(t) are?
Reply 2
Original post by multiratiunculae
Are you told what f(x) or f(t) are?

Nope.
Original post by Louisb19
Nope.

Hint:

Integrate the identity between 1 and -1 and observe that f(-x) is just a reflection of f(x) in the y-axis.
Nope.

Is this an a level question or university?
Reply 5
Is this an a level question or university?

C1 and C2 question
C1 and C2 question

I'd appreciate a solution when you get there!
Reply 7
Original post by Indeterminate
Hint:

Integrate the identity between 1 and -1 and observe that f(-x) is just a reflection of f(x) in the y-axis.

I tried integrating both sides but I was left with something extremely messy. and also you get like integral(1, - 1) of 3x^2 * integral(1, -1) of f(t)dtdx which has thrown me off.
Reply 8
I'd appreciate a solution when you get there!

https://gyazo.com/c6d92504a60b795768d619ea4e2587e8

Doesn't make any sense to me.
I tried integrating both sides but I was left with something extremely messy. and also you get like integral(1, - 1) of 3x^2 * integral(1, -1) of f(t)dtdx which has thrown me off.

How can you integrate a function which you haven't seen?

You need to realise that the definite integral inside the bracket on the RHS is JUST a constant, so all you have to do is integrate the term on the outside :smile:

After that, it's simple. Just note the relationship between f(x) and f(-x) and collect multiples of

11f(x) dx\displaystyle \int_{-1}^{1} f(x) \ dx

and you're done :smile:
Reply 11
How can you integrate a function which you haven't seen?

Yeah I honestly have no remote idea what is going on in that solution let alone the question itself. Where does the 12 even come from in the first place. I understand the integral(1, -1) of f(x) = integral(1, -1) of f(-x) however beyond that I'm very confused. Where does du come from?
Reply 12
You need to realise that the definite integral inside the bracket on the RHS is JUST a constant, so all you have to do is integrate the term on the outside :smile:

After that, it's simple. Just note the relationship between f(x) and f(-x) and collect multiples of

11f(x) dx\displaystyle \int_{-1}^{1} f(x) \ dx

and you're done :smile:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t34.0-12/12170456_437849129744407_124324348_n.jpg?oh=c41d27e5c3774cb14c86e4cafe73f6f5&oe=562C0931

I got this far however I'm confused again.

You shouldn't have called it c because it's the same as all the other multiples of the integral.

All you have to do is treat it as a constant when doing the integration and then rearrange to find its value :smile:
Reply 14
You shouldn't have called it c because it's the same as all the other multiples of the integral.

All you have to do is treat it as a constant when doing the integration and then rearrange to find its value :smile:

But t could be any number so I don't see how integral(1, -1) of the integral(1 , -1) f(t) dt dx = integral(1, -1) f(x)dx
Reply 15
If the answer is k=6 then I know the missing step.
Reply 16
Original post by dpm
If the answer is k=6 then I know the missing step.

The answer is 4, please tell anyway!
(edited 8 years ago)
But t could be any number so I don't see how integral(1, -1) of the integral(1 , -1) f(t) dt dx = integral(1, -1) f(x)dx

The person who wrote the question was just trying to be awkward. The fact is that f is the same function.

For example, it doesn't matter if i write

f(t)=t2f(t)=t^2 or f(x)=x2f(x) = x^2 .

They're the same. You should re-label it before starting the integration.

As I said, you have to treat that bracket as a constant and just worry about integrating the the 3x23x^2 term

Yeah it is! Please tell :smile:

Nope, it's not 6 :smile:
Reply 18
(i)Firstly, I did exactly the same as Loiusb19 and used his work to confirm.
(ii) in the given function, sub in x=1
(iii) in the given function sub in x=-1
(iv) solve simultaneously to conclude that f(1)=f(-1)
(v) re-arrange the original function to make the integral the subject, using x=1 and step (iv) and letting f(1)=f(-1)=k
(vi) this should lead to (6-k)/1
(vii) set this equal to 12-2k (as seen in Louisb19's work, albeit with different variables)
(viii) .... this gives k=6
(ix) I now see that this does not lead to the integral being what I said !!!!!
(x) I will post it anyway, simply because I think that steps (ii) - (iv) are relevant!!
Reply 19
The person who wrote the question was just trying to be awkward. The fact is that f is the same function.

For example, it doesn't matter if i write

f(t)=t2f(t)=t^2 or f(x)=x2f(x) = x^2 .

They're the same. You should re-label it before starting the integration.

As I said, you have to treat that bracket as a constant and just worry about integrating the the 3x23x^2 term

Nope, it's not 6 :smile:

Yeah you are right, I really wasn't thinking there. For some reason my brain didn't like it however it makes complete sense now! I wish I could rep you again however I can't :/

Quick Reply

Latest