The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

there is always someone better than yourself (i don't mean 'you' in particualr just people in general) so there is no point worrying about it, just be happy for them and tell them how clever they are :h:
Of course I have.

Considering I've only seen you say one intelligent thing OP, I'd contend I've met many people clever than you. :smile:
Never. I have only met people on TSR.

*Epic face*
Yes
Almost everyone in my biology and maths class :cry:
In chemistry i am considered one of the smartest:u:
Of course.
Original post by ILovePancakes
Of course I have.

Considering I've only seen you say one intelligent thing OP, I'd contend I've met many people clever than you. :smile:

Lol the question states YOURSELF. The whole point is about subjective judgements, self-assessment and ego.
Are you a pilot lol
Obviously. To say differently would be both false and immodest.
There are many I've met that are more clever than I am, it'd be arrogant to think otherwise.

They might excel in some things better than me but there are areas I might be more clever at than them.
To be honest. No. :biggrin:
Yes many.
Yes, of course. I was outraged when I came to sixth form and a guy got one mark higher than me in a Maths induction test

But it's not about being the best, it's about doing your best...

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Awesome Genius
It's hard to accept that someone else can be more intelligent than you, isn't it?

It's happened twice to me. An Oxford neurosciences professor and one of my friends from school that I still keep in touch with - he became an academic.

Both were males. Haven't found any females I'd say were as smart as me, yet.

the most ridiculous question I've read on here for a while. what is cleverness?? everyone is cleverer than me in something.

e.g. you might have better A2s than me in every subject. but can you beat me at chess? Beckham is stereotyped as an idiot, but he is clever. when he is playing football, he is clever enough to analyse and compute what is happening around him on the pitch.

what I'm basically saying is, everyone has something they are good and everyone is probably better than you at sometime. maybe that something is not important to you, but can that person claim he is cleverer than you for his small talent?
Reply 14
I once spoke to myself in the mirror. The less said about that the better. Turns out mirror Scott is a real ass.
I see that happen quite often. Below average intelligence people tend to overestimate their abilities, whereas intelligent people often sell themselves short. I bet most people with downs syndrome probably think they're smart too.
Yeh everyone on my course tbh, although I still seem to get the same grades as them
Original post by pbw
the most ridiculous question I've read on here for a while. what is cleverness?? everyone is cleverer than me in something.

e.g. you might have better A2s than me in every subject. but can you beat me at chess? Beckham is stereotyped as an idiot, but he is clever. when he is playing football, he is clever enough to analyse and compute what is happening around him on the pitch.

what I'm basically saying is, everyone has something they are good and everyone is probably better than you at sometime. maybe that something is not important to you, but can that person claim he is cleverer than you for his small talent?

That's a good point. But I think we all have an internal scale of how clever someone is, in our own terms. For me it's about being clever "generally".

When I was a doctor I could always tell within 5 minutes if someone was a healthcare worker, nurse, psychologist or doctor without talking about any specific scientific topics. The way people talk, respond to your cues in conversations, analyse your arguments and reply to your questions tells me how "generally" clever someone is.
As for myself, I definitely see myself as below average intelligence in a lot of ways. Poor social skills, last person to get the joke, extremely clumsy. However, when people talk to me about 'horoscopes' or 'God' I tend to just quietly facepalm.
Original post by Tom Jickleson
I see that happen quite often. Below average intelligence people tend to overestimate their abilities, whereas intelligent people often sell themselves short. I bet most people with downs syndrome probably think they're smart too.

Yeh except I have a first class degree from Oxford.

Latest