The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading - 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm applying for English Literature and I am aiming to send off my application by the end of the month!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by harryjames3210
I have got a conditional offer today ! Have to get AAA though eeeeekkkk!!

Told yaa :tongue:
Ahaha I feel you, good luck :smile:
Got an offer for BSc Human & Physical Geography the other day really pleased! Thinking about firming it. But does anyone know what Reading is like for students: is it expensive??
Reply 83
Original post by nathank16
Got an offer for BSc Human & Physical Geography the other day really pleased! Thinking about firming it. But does anyone know what Reading is like for students: is it expensive??

Same here, well done! what were your conditions, if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by dilanm
Same here, well done! what were your conditions, if you dont mind me asking?

Omg really ABB with a minimum B in Geography what about you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I am currently studying Human and Physical Geography and am in my second year, so I've been living here for over a year and can honestly say Reading as a place is geared up for students. I wouldn't say it's massively expensive but I am from London, so it probably affects my opinion. But there are lots of things that are set up to help students save money. For example the Oracle (the shopping centre) run student nights every term with lots of discounts. The buses that students use have a reduced price ticket.

Also if you are into clubbing and going out there are students nights pretty much every night in one of the nightclubs. There are also plenty of pubs and bars that have student offers or are cheap to start off with.

Also if money is a thing that concerns you, you could look into getting a job. We have the jobshop on campus that can help you find a part time job. There are many flexible jobs on campus (so it means you are only expected to work during term time) such as working in the bars, the campus shop or as a student ambassador, or there are plenty of shops and restaurants in town that offer part time jobs.

Personally I would firm choice it, because I am literally having the best time ever at Reading. If you have any other questions about the geography department, student life, halls or campus, feel free to ask.

Emma :smile:
2nd year Human and Physical Geographer
Original post by UniofReading
Hi,

I am currently studying Human and Physical Geography and am in my second year, so I've been living here for over a year and can honestly say Reading as a place is geared up for students. I wouldn't say it's massively expensive but I am from London, so it probably affects my opinion. But there are lots of things that are set up to help students save money. For example the Oracle (the shopping centre) run student nights every term with lots of discounts. The buses that students use have a reduced price ticket.

Also if you are into clubbing and going out there are students nights pretty much every night in one of the nightclubs. There are also plenty of pubs and bars that have student offers or are cheap to start off with.

Also if money is a thing that concerns you, you could look into getting a job. We have the jobshop on campus that can help you find a part time job. There are many flexible jobs on campus (so it means you are only expected to work during term time) such as working in the bars, the campus shop or as a student ambassador, or there are plenty of shops and restaurants in town that offer part time jobs.

Personally I would firm choice it, because I am literally having the best time ever at Reading. If you have any other questions about the geography department, student life, halls or campus, feel free to ask.

Weren't you at my school last week? You came to my school to give a presentation about life at Reading uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

Hi Emma,

Thank you for you help!
Yes Reading does sound amazing gonna have some serious thinking.

Can I just ask what do you think about the course? I have an offer for the same one. I want to have a range between human and physical but probably more on the human side, is this possible?

And are the admissions department flexible with overall results in August?

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
I sent my application off to do Building Surveying at Reading at the start of this week, anyone know what the average time it will take to get a decision from the uni???
Original post by ElBally
I sent my application off to do Building Surveying at Reading at the start of this week, anyone know what the average time it will take to get a decision from the uni???

I sent my application off on the 9/11/15 and they got back to me on the 12/11/15 so very quickly! But that was to do history :smile:
Hi Emma,

Thank you for you help!
Yes Reading does sound amazing gonna have some serious thinking.

Can I just ask what do you think about the course? I have an offer for the same one. I want to have a range between human and physical but probably more on the human side, is this possible?

And are the admissions department flexible with overall results in August?

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi again,

On the course side of things, yes it is possible to do slightly more human modules, its what I do. In the first year you have a choice of 4 out of 5 physical modules (so 40 credits) and do 2 twenty credit compulsory human modules (also 40 credits) and you have one twenty credit skills module. This means you get to choose two optional modules (20 credits) to complete your module choices. This allows you to choose more human modules if you wish.

When it comes to 2nd year you have a lots more choice, they like you to keep it fairly equal, but you can choose more human modules, you can also choose the less sciency physical modules such as energy resources of geomorphological hazards, which is what I've done.

On results, the department were flexible the year I came, I dropped a grade and know others that dropped two grades and still got in. Normally if you put them as your first choice they look at your results more favourably. But each year is different as they have to look at numbers and things, but they are known to have been flexible in the past. Hope this helps :smile:

Any more questions feel free to ask.

2nd year human and physical geographer
Original post by qasim_96
Weren't you at my school last week? You came to my school to give a presentation about life at Reading uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah quite possibly, I have done a few school visits in the last few weeks. Do you have any questions or queries I can help you with?

2nd year Human and Physical Geography
Yeah quite possibly, I have done a few school visits in the last few weeks. Do you have any questions or queries I can help you with?

2nd year Human and Physical Geography

I live in Reading so I actually know most things about Reading, and I applied to reading for Computer Science and got an offer. A question that I could ask is how different is uni life to school life? Obviously we're gonna be more independent and stuff but how much of a step up from school?
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone applied for chemistry at reading??
Original post by qasim_96
I live in Reading so I actually know most things about Reading, and I applied to reading for Computer Science and got an offer. A question that I could ask is how different is uni life to school life? Obviously we're gonna be more independent and stuff but how much of a step up from school?
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends if you are moving out into halls or staying at home? But whatever your answer is, I wouldn't say its a massive step up but it is a change. Like you have to adapt to not knowing where everything is, and get used to getting around campus. You also have to keep organised, like when all your different assignments are due in, because if you hand things in late you loose marks, and you don't have a teacher reminding you all the time to hand it in. I wouldn't say its a daunting amount of change, but there is change. A good thing to remember is that all the first years are in the same boat, and there is lots of support on offer.

2nd year human and physical geography
It depends if you are moving out into halls or staying at home? But whatever your answer is, I wouldn't say its a massive step up but it is a change. Like you have to adapt to not knowing where everything is, and get used to getting around campus. You also have to keep organised, like when all your different assignments are due in, because if you hand things in late you loose marks, and you don't have a teacher reminding you all the time to hand it in. I wouldn't say its a daunting amount of change, but there is change. A good thing to remember is that all the first years are in the same boat, and there is lots of support on offer.

2nd year human and physical geography

Thanks :smile: I was planning on staying at home as its only 25-30 minutes walk from my house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by Hollie2338
I sent my application off on the 9/11/15 and they got back to me on the 12/11/15 so very quickly! But that was to do history :smile:

Thanks for your reply! I got my offer last night:smile:
Reply 97
Original post by elbally
thanks for your reply! I got my offer last night:smile:
congrats x x x x x x x
Reply 98
Applied last night. Fingers crossed guys!! Defo first choice.
Reply 99
Original post by MW-19--
Applied last night. Fingers crossed guys!! Defo first choice.

Good luck m888888:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest