The Student Room Group

Interview mess… never going to get a job…

Just finished my masters, moved in with a bunch of people and lied to them that I am doing a Phd to avoid telling them I am unemployed.I must have had fifty interviews in my lifetime (literally) and I can’t seem to progress I have heard every feedback imaginable.I am starting to panic. I am 26 years old and I still haven’t got my foot in the door. I don’t know what to do..

Scroll to see replies

Complain on TSR apparently.
Reply 2
Original post by Jared44
Complain on TSR apparently.

I am not complaining. I just don't know what to do.

Also, I am waiting for someone to be stunned that I have had 50 interview rejections in my life span.
Original post by Kasa
I am not complaining. I just don't know what to do.

Also, I am waiting for someone to be stunned that I have had 50 interview rejections in my life span.

You keep trying until you get a job, there isn't anything else to do but keep trying.
I doubt that's a record.
Original post by Kasa
Just finished my masters, moved in with a bunch of people and lied to them that I am doing a Phd to avoid telling them I am unemployed.I must have had fifty interviews in my lifetime (literally) and I can’t seem to progress I have heard every feedback imaginable.I am starting to panic. I am 26 years old and I still haven’t got my foot in the door. I don’t know what to do..

Evaluate what lets you down at interviews, and work on it. Is it your lack of confidence? Is your preparation for the interview inadequate? Aren't your answers in detail for them? It's ridiculous how you can't get into employment despite having a degree.. hmm. Good luck, hope things work out for you :smile: and don't give up!! x
Reply 5
Original post by Jared44
You keep trying until you get a job, there isn't anything else to do but keep trying.
I doubt that's a record.

I just hate having Aspergers so much. It ****s with my interview so much..
Reply 6
Original post by samina_ay
Evaluate what lets you down at interviews, and work on it. Is it your lack of confidence? Is your preparation for the interview inadequate? Aren't your answers in detail for them? It's ridiculous how you can't get into employment despite having a degree.. hmm. Good luck, hope things work out for you :smile: and don't give up!! x

Before it was my lack of preparation. But now I am preparing the best I can and am still not getting anything.
Original post by Kasa

You will just have to keep practicing and basically 'acting' how you are 'supposed' to act at in interview. Basically, you have to fake confidence, enthusiasm and bull**** your way through interviews. You just have to practice. Going to an interview is an acting job.
Reply 8
Original post by samina_ay

What do you think of 50 interview rejections?
Original post by Kasa

You need to ask what you're doing wrong when you fail an interview, then work on that.
That's just something you have to live with unfortunately, but there isn't anything you can do about but seek professional help on how to deal with it. I'm not expert in mental health, so I'm not the person to discuss it with.
Original post by Kasa
Before it was my lack of preparation. But now I am preparing the best I can and am still not getting anything.

Keep trying, your hard work will pay off
Original post by Kasa

Don't go round the houses and try to get sympathy, from everyone who posts on this thread, based on the number of rejections you have had. That doesn't help you at all.
Just focus on the problem at hand.
Reply 12
Original post by driftawaay
You will just have to keep practicing and basically 'acting' how you are 'supposed' to act at in interview. Basically, you have to fake confidence, enthusiasm and bull**** your way through interviews. You just have to practice. Going to an interview is an acting job.

I know. I try my best. I really do. I am one step from hanging myself. I am really desperate.

50 interview rejections. It makes me feel like a freak. I want to beg for someone to give me a chance.
Original post by Kasa

I'm finding it very difficult myself to get into part-time employment at the moment. I don't blame you, competitive market, keep trying :biggrin: x
Reply 14
Original post by Jared44
Don't go round the houses and try to get sympathy, from everyone who posts on this thread, based on the number of rejections you have had. That doesn't help you at all.
Just focus on the problem at hand.

I am not trying to get sympathy at all. I am just trying to establish whether that sounds bizzare or not. If someone said that to me my jaw would drop open.
Original post by Kasa
I am not trying to get sympathy at all. I am just trying to establish whether that sounds bizzare or not. If someone said that to me my jaw would drop open.

Why does it matter?
Reply 16
Original post by Jared44
Why does it matter?

To establish that I am not a freak, and i dont end up in the Daily Mail or something..
Original post by Kasa
To establish that I am not a freak, and i dont end up in the Daily Mail or something..

Why does that matter at all? Stop caring what everybody thinks. Half of the people I know probably don't like me, but I really couldn't care less.
If you develop that mindset of worrying what everybody thinks of you, it eats you away. It's toxic, don't do it.

I laughed way too hard at the fact that you mentioned the Daily Mail.
Reply 18
Original post by Jared44
Why does that matter at all? Stop caring what everybody thinks. Half of the people I know probably don't like me, but I really couldn't care less.
If you develop that mindset of worrying what everybody thinks of you, it eats you away. It's toxic, don't do it.

I laughed way too hard at the fact that you mentioned the Daily Mail.

Laugh at me... everyone else is doing it ass well...
Original post by Kasa
Laugh at me... everyone else is doing it ass well...

I give up...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending